Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DC/NoVA players?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Silver12
Just curious if there are any DC/NoVA/MD area Shadowrun 4e players out there...especially Missions, but any games at all!

Mr. BlackJackRackem ran some SRM games I played in, and it was a blast. The greatest fun I've had at any convention I can remember...every single round was fun. He definitely sold me on the game, but I'm having trouble finding SRM players here in the DC area.

Any out there? If not, I'll get my fix at GenCon! smile.gif

Jeff.
tpb 'Doc'

cREbralFIX
Yup! We have an active game going on, but it's currently full. You may want to head on over to the Game Parlor (google it--Chantilly, VA) and ask around.
Silver12
Thanks for the response, glad to see there are some other Shadowrunners out there!

If a slot ever opens up...... wink.gif

Been to the Game Parlor quite a bit in past years, mostly for LG; next time I'm in I'll see what I can find.

Jeff.

Armiger
Hi Jeff -- another NoVA gamer here. I'm in a DC group that's having a slow time getting started...the volunteer GM just doesn't have the time he thought he would. I'm trying to encourage one of the other group members to step up and lead. At this point we've pulled characters together but haven't done anything more than basic introductions. If you want to be part of a fledgling group, I think we have an extra seat. Perhaps another energetic player would be just the spark we need.

Alternatively, if you happen to find a few more motivated players (and a GM!), I'd be more than happy to "jump ship" and join up. I'm itching to play some SR again!
Silver12
Armiger,

Sorry for the delay in response - I was on travel for a few weeks on the left coast...

I'm definitely up for playing in a regular game. My only experience with 4e has been with Shadowrun Missions, but I've had a blast with that. WOuld love to get in a regular home game.

Character I like to play is basically best described as a combat medic.... smile.gif

Unfortunately I don't know too many who play SR. Many who say they would love to - but not much follow-thru. NoVA seems to be more of the Pathfinder/Living Greyhawk area.

Let me know how things are progressing with your group...
Jeff.

Armiger
Sounds like we might be onto something here.... cool.gif

I'll drop you a PM tonight with more info.

Tim
SincereAgape
If you guys are looking for an introductory GM, I maybe able to help. I visit the NoVA/DC area quiet a bit because of family, and would not mind helping you guys get your game started.
Silver12
Sounds good, look forward to hearing from you all....if we are looking for quick fix games, I really like the Missions campaign wink.gif

Jeff.
Armiger
QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Apr 16 2009, 08:29 AM) *
If you guys are looking for an introductory GM, I maybe able to help. I visit the NoVA/DC area quiet a bit because of family, and would not mind helping you guys get your game started.

I appreciate the offer! I'd like to give the aspiring GM in our group one more chance to get things rolling, but may call on your services if things don't work out. How often is "quite a bit" for visiting the area?
SincereAgape
QUOTE (Armiger @ Apr 18 2009, 10:00 AM) *
I appreciate the offer! I'd like to give the aspiring GM in our group one more chance to get things rolling, but may call on your services if things don't work out. How often is "quite a bit" for visiting the area?

I would be more then willing to come down and run an introductory adventure for you guys. And it could def be done if we setup a time and date. I need to visit my sister in Fairfax anyway.

-Agape.
cREbralFIX
I'm up for playing in another game. The group I'm in only meets once a month.

I could run a few one-shots too.
Warlordtheft
I would be interested too. (Hi Cfix!) As we meet once a month mainly due to the diverse schedule of the other players. I'd also like to play rather than GM.
SincereAgape
Hey DC and Nova.

As mentioned in this post, I would be more then willing to drive down to your area, meet some new people, and run a session or two to get a group started. If we can set up a date either through this thread or PM that would be great. Looking at my schedule. Either June 5th or 6th, which is a Friday or Saturday would work well for me. I work Sunday-Thursday.

craygo
Hello all.
I'm look for a group to join. Is there a seat still open in this party?
I live in the Gaitherburg MD are and depending on how far, i'm willing to travel to it.
craygo
Hello all.
I'm look for a group to join. Is there a seat still open in this party?
I live in the Gaitherburg MD are and depending on how far, i'm willing to travel to it.
cREbralFIX
So what's the status for folks?

June 5 or 6 will probably be fine for me. I propose meeting at The Game Parlor in Chantilly, VA (http://www.gameparlor.com/) for the first "meet". We can call ahead and get "Mr. Johnson" to reserve a table and put up a sign.

SincereAgape is volunteering to GM for up to 2 sessions. We could always rotate.

What are folks interested in doing?

I was thinking to participate in/GM a few training runs. "Runs" would be one or two sessions such that the players can become familiar with the rules for that particular subset of the rules (no particular order):

1) All hackers
2) All technomancers
3) All mages
4) All gun bunnies & sword wielding maniacs
5) All riggers

I've noticed that people tend to stay within the subset(s) of rules they understand. Currently, the players in our group barely know the Matrix exists (except for this weird-o named Redtop who "takes care of all that").

There are Cheat Sheets (search around here) that will be very helpful.

When we're done with these "runs", each player will have a core group of 'runners to choose from for whatever we settle on as the regular campaign.
Warlordtheft
Hey CfIX-I've run all the the character types. I like the idea of everyone playing the same thing, to get an idea of what the magic, physical and matrix are like (if we do go the route you suggested, a game with just hackers/technomancer/riggers should be sufficient, they all play with nodes!!!!). That being said itt seems we have the following players:

SincereAgape (GM-player)
ME-(Player-not GM already doing one)
craygo-(Player-GM?)
Armiger-(Player-GM?)
Cfix-(Player-GM)
Silver12-(Player-GM?)
Others?

So are we looking at June 5th or 6th? If so what time? Keep in mind GP closes at 9:00 PM.
Just to double check everyone is using 4E?---I don't have the 20th AnniversiryEd though (yet!!).

Anyway what are ya' alls preferences for a campaign (location/style of play/time frame/so forth)?
cREbralFIX
I was thinking to meet at The Game Parlor at 10 or 11 am. That way, we get some time before the crowds show up.

I also recommend that folks make their characters beforehand so we can play right away.

RE: campaign

I prefer low powered campaigns where the PC's have to work to get their stuff. I like to keep weaponry reasonable and mostly low key. If every security officer has a full auto rifle and grenades...then that stuff will become commonplace. Same goes for chargen...nothing ruins it by turning it into a gear race and the PC's start out with +5 Vorpal blades.

Keep in mind the rule of 3 and 4. "3" for a skill is proficient. It means you can make a living at it...the average office worker. "4" means you're the office expert...not to be confused with "5" --> Expert from the book. A "5" really does mean you are an expert (rather than just one of the top guys in the office).

All this means that 'runners with a bunch of 3's and 4's in skills and stats should do OK.

Additionally, I don't like "let's save the world...again" games. I like to keep it more cyberpunky...dirty and more survival oriented. I like to see lots of detail and spend some time on character development in the environment. I enjoy more mundane sessions that demonstrate certain aspects of the game world. I still have yet to see a Star Trek bathroom, yet am fully aware of SR bathrooms from various firefights in them.

Campaign Ideas that don't cater to the glitz-n-glamor of Shadowrunning:

1) Public servants...work for Lone Star, the public health system as medics or whatever. We'd get a variety of calls for "default" sessions and could mix in mysteries and private investigations.

2) Newbie organized crime guys...SR4's version of "Good Guys"...could be fun.

3) Homeless...down-n-out. Start with 500 nuyen, essential gear and the clothes on your back. Everyone is weird...shapeshifters, burned out mage turned street samurai, whatever. This would be more of a "build-up" game where the goal would be to integrate with the neighborhood.

4) Work in an arcology...almost never leave it. Call it...rats in a maze.... PC's could be members of the underclass...janitors, whatever. PC's have to survive on what they can scrounge up and get away with.

5) Critter hunters 2070 AD...going after vamps and ghouls!

6) Buffy the Shadowrunner. Actually, do this in post-season 7 where there are multiple Slayers. Dump the SR world and just use the rules. Magic is still there, Internet is the Matrix and you get to kill critters and demons using 2009 technology and attitude.
cREbralFIX
I have updated the character generation spreadsheet to reflect the new Shadowrun 4 20th Anniversary Edition based upon the posted "Changes Reference Document". The change doc is available on this board. I think we should use this (besides, it makes Adepts more competitive).

Several costs for Adept powers have dropped and some skills have been added.

PM me for the template (players in the game only, please).
Silver12
Hey all, glad to see some planning going on!

Chantilly works for me. As does the 5th. I would prefer to play the 6th during the day I think (have to double check my schedule tomorrow at work) especially if we could start early and end (relatively) early.

As for what to play, well, I really want to get some Shadowrun Missions mods under my belt before I head off to GenCon, so that would be my vote. If people agree I'll post the ones I have played so maybe we can play some others!

As for GMing, I'm up for it, but not quite yet. Somewhat new to SR4 still, and want to be a bit more familiar before I try to run something.

Jeff.

P.S. - after reading the campaign ideas, I still vote #1 for Missions, but if that doesn't work, being Lone Star could be a cool twist. Or even some military-type unit that gets both city and wilderness type missions.
cREbralFIX
The only problem I can see with running the Missions is that SOME PEOPLE (Warlordtheft WON'T be mentioned) keep reading and collecting them. smile.gif

Anyone else have some campaign ideas? Maybe we should "sit down" (on email) and brainstorm a whole bunch of themes and ideas. Anyone play World of Darkness/Vampire? They have a bunch of good resources on creating campaigns if you don't have a lot of experience in this area. Maybe everyone should send in 10 background themes and 5 campaign ideas.
SincereAgape
Sup guys.

If you guys still need/want me to Gm the first session for this group, I'd be more then happy to. Things are set for me to visit NoVa the first weekend of June.

I would be more then happy to run the SR Denver missions for everyone and have experience doing so. I am also thinking about storytelling "On the Run" (My favorite adventure which I've read numerous number of times).

Sadly, I have yet to read SR 4.5 and would like to stick to SR 4.0, but include rules and goodies from Aresenal, Street Magic, Augmentation, Companion, etc.
cREbralFIX
Just get the update doc and use the character generation rules.

There are some clarifications and skip anything larger than a minor change; it's not a big deal.

The Denver missions sound fun.
SincereAgape
Okay sounds good. Parliament of Thieves sounds fantastic. Would love to coordinate with the eventual future GM of the group to see what type of characters they would like and what campaign they are interested in running.

Since this is a new group with new 4th edition players, I suggest running a typical campaign with the characters operating as Shadowrunners at first.

Updating interest list.

SincereAgape (GM-player)
Warlord Theft.-(Player-not GM already doing one)
craygo-(Player-GM?)
Armiger-(Player-GM?)
Cfix-(Player-GM)
Silver12-(Player-GM?)

For those who are still interested could y'all can send me a email and contact information via Dumpshock PM that would be great, that way I can get a mailing list going.

Or feel free to email meh.

SincereAgape@hotmail.com

-Cheers. NoVa rocks.
-Ken aka SA.

Silver12
Denver missions sound great - I've played SRM2-02 Best Served Cold, as well as all the ones from SRM2-05 through SRM2-11. I have started to play SRM2-01, but had to leave right after the intro, so don't really even know what the run is about.

I have NOT read any of the other missions!! wink.gif

BTW - I have a medic-type character.

Jeff.
SincereAgape
Sup guys!

So far Cerbreal, Silver, and Warlord Theft have shown interest and provided contact information. Would love to hear from the rest of you.

1. Cerbreal suggested using Excel based character creation. I would be down for that as well as having an old style Microsoft word email or format sent via email or PM. I would be open to using SR 4.5 character creation templates, but if the rest of the group is not familiar with those rules, then I would prefer to use good old 4.0.

2. A general consensus is running Denver Missions. So talley ho.

3. Any idea what character classes everyone would like to play. Perhaps if we can get a gen. idea we can start making characters and I can start tweaking the modules. Thus far Silver has mentioned a Medic. That leaves a lot of roster space to be filled.

-Cheers.
cREbralFIX
The SR 4.5 update is available here:

http://shadowrun4.com/resources/sr4a/sr4a_changes.pdf

I haven't really decided what my character will be, though I'm leaning toward a hacker or technomancer. I may do a rigger with some hacking ability. Alternatively, I may do a gun bunny.

Warlordtheft
Ok-is the medic a mage??
I was willing to do a gun-bunny(Street sam) or a mage or a hacker/tecnomancer/rigger or face or some combination thereof. I'm flexible.

Is it standard RAW? Or do we need a no sinners rule?
cREbralFIX
I'm working on a few character concepts. I just created an infiltration adept. I'll start on a hacker/technomancer soon.
Silver12
He's got some magic-y ability but actually a mystic adept, so not really good at magic, but he can do it. Doesn't take the place of a dedicated mage, though can provide general backup.

Already played a couple missions scenarios, so it'll be continuing that char.

Jeff.
SincereAgape
Hey guys.

It's been a long week. I apologize ahead of time but my health has not been very good recently. Ergo I am not sure if I can come down this week or in the next few to run the missions. once things subside, I'll let everyone know. Till then, I'm sorry guys.

I'd be more then happy to come eventually to run a few missions, but i'm not sure how soon, and meet some new people, especially in an area I have hopes of moving to one day. Perhaps if it's cool, I would love to run "Dusk." and the entire "Dawn of the Artifacts" story arc for y'all.

-Sincereagape.
Warlordtheft
Nothing serious. you feel better soon.

PS: What BP bonus would you give my PC for his distinctive style (it can range from 0-35). While I was going to rate it a 30-yeah like he can blend in-NOT!!

For rest of group my PC concept:

Troll
Chrome dermal plating (head to tail)
Red glowing cybereyes
Gloss black smooth horns

Nickle plated weapons with brass Demon heads adorning it, particularly around the muzzle area.
Harley scopion with sidecar-similarly pimped out.

PS:He is somewhat known in the Denver area as he is lead guitarist in a Troll death speed metal band-DS (demon spawn)
SincereAgape
Hey Theft,

Let me know how much you're looking for and what'll it take to make it work. I'm all about the PCs having a good time. Inversely you do know the hire the amount such as 30 he takes, the more crap will come down the pike. biggrin.gif

PS - It would be rocking if he had dual Monowhips as well smile.gif
Warlordtheft
Hence my comment about him survivng three sessions if I play him right.
ork.gif

Nah-he's got a chrome telescopic staff (his walking stick).
cREbralFIX
So let's carry on without SincereAgape.

WarlordTheft-(Player)
craygo-(Player)
Armiger-(Player-GM?)
Cfix-(Player-GM)
Silver12-(Player-GM?)

So who's still in? Any additional suggestions/ideas for campaigns?
Warlordtheft
I'm in.
cREbralFIX
We're meeting at The Game Parlor in Chantilly, VA on Saturday, June 6. We'll get there at 11 AM.

Bring several characters. One character can be 500 BP; others 400 BP.

cREbralFIX
I have not been contacted by anyone regarding this game tomorrow except Warlordtheft. He will be late.

I will be at The Game Parlor starting at 11. If nobody shows up by 12, I will leave.

We can meet another day if nobody shows.
cREbralFIX
I have not been contacted by anyone regarding this game tomorrow except Warlordtheft. He will be late, but I have made arrangements with him.

I will be at The Game Parlor starting at 11. If nobody shows up by 12, I will leave.

We can meet another day if nobody shows.
Silver12
Sent you a PM...not going to be able to make it, but I can make it for a game on Sunday if we want to try that instead....

Armiger
Hi all,

I drop off the net for a couple of weeks, and see what happens? Y'all go and set up a game, right in my back yard! smile.gif

I wish I'd seen this earlier....kind of playing catch up since the original meeting time is only a couple of hours away. If I'm reading things right, though, there isn't a game today due to other commitments. Or are you still meeting up?

I'm very interested in playing. Any character type -- I'm familiar enough with gun bunnies & faces, but I'll try anything. I can get something (maybe a couple of characters) cobbled together today if necessary.

So, where do we stand?

Armiger
cREbralFIX
Today was fun. It was nice meeting you Armiger.

Looks like we're going to meet on Sundays. Others are welcome to join.

--cREbralFIX
Silver12
Sorry I couldn't make it today....really looking forward to getting into it!

So, what'd you all end up running? And when's the next game?
Armiger
Yep, nice to meet you and Warlordtheft. Soory I've been silent -- got home and found my DSL was offline. It's finally working again...I've been in withdrawal!

cREbralFIX started up an adventure adapted from Cyberpunk. We didn't make it very far due to time, but we did get to know each other a bit and compare notes on game types, characters, etc.

I'm not sure when the next game is set for. I think we ruled out this weekend due to other commitments but left future weekends open.

I hope to see you next time!

Tim
Silver12
Did you all go with the 500 point character builds?

Gonna start making up a character just to be ready!
cREbralFIX
QUOTE (Silver12 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:53 PM) *
Did you all go with the 500 point character builds?

Gonna start making up a character just to be ready!

Yeah--500. Also build a 400 point character.
SincereAgape
Great. Is there still room for one other? The skin has been getting better and the stress has died down. I'm good for either GMing or PCing.

-Ken.
Warlordtheft
Yes there is still room! As tom said-make a 500 for his campaign (as he described it-a magical threats type game). We have 1 mage and a street sam in this group. A hacker/TM, Face, and would be good additions.

I don't think we've scheduled the next day we play, but it will most likely be on a Sunday.
cREbralFIX
Sincere...feel free to hop in!

Start prepping an adventure...I anticipate completing the current one in one or two more sessions.

Regarding PC type: play whatever you want.
cREbralFIX
I have an idea for a one shot adventure...everyone build a 300 point "mundane" character. By mundane...I mean "non-criminal, non-Shadowrunner average Joe." The character should NOT be a street samurai who happens to flip burgers for a living...or even a mage.

Remember: skill level 3 is "proficient" and you can hold a job for 30 years at that level.

Build an office worker, nurse, burger flipper or whatever. The person should be employed and definitely not rich. They should not be experts in a field that would result in lots of fame, fortune or power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012