Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: out of game initiative
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maelstrome
i often times have problems with players not taking the initiative to act in game regardless of what the situation is. usually though later they complain that they didnt get to do enough even though they had to be spoon fed actions just to keep the game going. ive also had the problem with me being the only one that declares actions and later someone complains about it.

also it should be noted its not just the new players doing this even the members that have played for years do this too.

so i came up with a simple solution. at the beginning of each session every player rolls 4d6 and the scores are written down and players take turns in order from highest score to lowest score.

what have you all done in this kind of situation?
deek
I've not had this situation at my table.

In fact, my last group, had a situation where they were planning something, in game, and I left the room, went to the bathroom and came back and they were still talking to each other "in game". I was quite surprised and happy that they got so into the scenario...
DireRadiant
As a GM I make an effort to involve all the players. So I often make a point of making sure to devote attention and share time with each PC, "Shining the Spotlight" (And making sure everyone knows it's that players turn). However, given all of that it's up to the player to take advantage of the spotlight, and sometimes they don't, either through missing a chance, or they really aren't interested in acting at that time.
Phylos Fett
QUOTE (deek @ Mar 25 2009, 06:22 AM) *
I've not had this situation at my table.

In fact, my last group, had a situation where they were planning something, in game, and I left the room, went to the bathroom and came back and they were still talking to each other "in game". I was quite surprised and happy that they got so into the scenario...

When I was a smoker, I used to pick strategic times to go out for a smoke, and it was usually well filled by the players plotting - so much so, that they threw a few curves at my "well made plans" more than once; I thought it was good, because if I didn't know what they were planning as a GM, then there was no way in hell my NPCs could know wink.gif
Bastard
I go round table. My problem has been players not paying attention and having to explain things three, four or five times. My solution was the round table, and you had to have any questions ready on your turn, and you only had 60 seconds to declare action (outside of resolving complications). This kept players turns short, so people waiting didn't have their minds wander while I reexplained things they already heard at least once, and while other players were taking 10 minutes to decide whether to fire burst or full auto.
Fuchs
I usually ask players directly "What does your character do?" if they don't speak up.
Cardul
My group has some great players who will take the initiative..and then we have some who, honestly, I think are afraid to speak up. I have yet to break that fear from these players, though...
Fuchs
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 25 2009, 12:43 PM) *
My group has some great players who will take the initiative..and then we have some who, honestly, I think are afraid to speak up. I have yet to break that fear from these players, though...

Repeatedly having an NPC directly engage them in conversation or otherwise focring them to (re)act can help.
Blade
I've had a few players who didn't take initiative if not forced, but liked it this way. It seems that some players prefer to be more passive and follow the story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012