Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Duels] Okay, I'll Bite.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kevyn668
I've seen the figures in the shopsm read the posts here, and visited the official site but some specifics would be cool.

From what I gather, each figure has strengths and weaknesses. Several "attack ranges" and come w/ a ruler. Also, there something vague about the way you position the arms/legs/torso to be able to hold the gear. There seem to be more than just 6siders in the boxes, too.

Is there any role playing or is it like "Rock'em, Sock'em Robots" w/ an SR feel??

And, most importantly, is it fun?
Lilt
Never played it myself but I have played other games using the Mage-knight system (which this is AFAIK just a more detailed version of), looked at the stats of the figures and (briefly) the rules. The system seems to only cover combat (As with all of the MageKnight games (except MK:Dungeons which also covers dungeon-crawling) so by your wording I'd say it's just "Rock'em, Sock'em Robots w/ an SR feel".

[edit]As I said, never played it so I don't know if it's fun[/edit]
kevyn668
Well, I was at the local hobbey shop and being in the market for a new desk fixture, I was pawing through the Duels figures. I thought, "maybe I should find out more about this..." But I never found a figure I liked. They all seem too..."comic book-ishy"

The samurai or the covert ops are probably my fav for now but that has soley to do w/ appearances.
Kagetenshi
It is quite fun. There isn't any roleplaying in the basic rules, but there are suggestions scattered around that WizKids might be doing things like setting up scenarios that people could run (like for instance having Liada, Silver Max, and Kyushi have to steal a briefcase being defended by Lothan, G-Dogg, Shadow, the Street Deacon, and Wolf Nev, maybe with the former three having more gear, forcing them to figure out a way to take down the numerically superior guards). They're figures that have a set of combat rules, but it's easy to make situations where roleplaying could work; you could even tack Shadowrun social rules and concealability/stealth onto the Duels combat system. If you have players who are willing to play it in RPG mode (only operating on what their characters would know, instead of working off the fact that the player can see the Troll hiding behind that potted plant just fine), the possibilities are endless.
Even as its base game, though, it's enjoyable. The rules have some quirks, but houseruling is part of the Shadowrun experience. Any more questions?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012