Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HIDEOUTS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ICPiK
Just curious. Where do your runner teams hideout. Where does your team debrief or upgrade gear?
Andinel
One of the members in my team is a mechanic, so she always repairs or upgrades stuff for us if we need it. Otherwise, we usually meet at a runner bar to make our plans and debrief.
Muspellsheimr
Currently, the team meets every morning at the Waffle House. Even the technomancer shows up every other day or so.
Degausser
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 29 2009, 01:05 PM) *
Currently, the team meets every morning at the Waffle House. Even the technomancer shows up every other day or so.

ROFL, this is hilarious. I have this idea in my head.

Troll: So I shoots the guy in the back, right, and his blood goes spilling out the front-
Waitress: Sorry to interrupt, need anything else? Refill on your Soycoffee?
Troll: No thanks, but I would like to order some more SoySteak and SoyEggs, really hungry today.
Waitress: No problem hon, be about 10 min.
Troll: Thanks Flo! (Turning back to runners) so yeah, that new EX explosive ammo in my Ruger Super Warhawk is working out great!
Ryu
Most of our team live in one large apartment block in Barcelona, but hideouts are rented short-term affairs. If we need to lay down, we travel.
Rusted Scrap Metal
Our newest group (set back all the way in 2050 and using SR2 rules) meets in a bar called "The Pit", which is down in Redmond and features a mud wrestling pit.

We've got an old gas station with mechanics bay where we store vehicles and gear (and PC's that aren't currently on mission hang out) while most of us have middle lifestyles for our "lives" and low lifestyles for our "street lives" to keep things separate.

The old gas station is a pretty heavy investment on our end. Technically it's beyond the bounds of the Barrens, out in the edge of the woods and away. Bribes to the gang bosses nearby and a monthly bribe to the local Yakuza boss, toolkits and what we need to fix weapons and vehicles, a small medical bay where we can provide recovery for badly wounded characters (one of the PC's is a Desert Wars veteran doctor), and nice stuff for us to use.

The rigger and one of the street sams pretty much live there. It's our hideout.

My ork is a bit more... paranoid? Prepared? Anyway, he not only has his condo, but three apartments in different names/identities. (Middle lifestyle for the condo/low lifestyle for each of the other three)
Stahlseele
depends on the characters.
usually, not together. if they have to, usually some cheap motel or something for the duration of a run.
dog_xinu
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 29 2009, 02:05 PM) *

hmm I didnt know you gamed with my group.. smile.gif My group makes lots of meetings a WaffleHouse... not every day but some days multiple times.. and they always pick a new one..
Biokinetica
So far, our group has been meeting wherever the client wants. However, we do have a 'team bus' that's been decked out with all sorts of upgrades, including a nexus just for me. nyahnyah.gif
Sepherim
My team usually rents some place in Barcelona, and changes often from one site to another, even in other cities like Madrid.
Degausser
Back when I played in SR3, your tech guy had an entire warehouse in the Redmond Barrens that he had moved into, and then managed to get power, water, and sewer hooked up. Good place to hang, he had it decked out with drone turrets and security systems so no one would break in, it was like a fortress. Plus it even had sewer access if we needed to get out undetected. He lived there, and we usually met him there for our pre-run planning.
the_real_elwood
Most of the time, it ended up being one of the runners' apartments. But in the groups I played in, about half the group would take the "low" or "street" lifestyle to get those few extra BP. So it always ended up that after the run, the rest of us would have to put 'em up somewhere while we laid low.
Backgammon
@ICPik: There's a spelling mistake in your sig.
Neraph
My team had built a large fortress in a sewer system where an old abandoned train station was. They had set up power and water again, but it only lasted so long until the Knights of Saint Sylvester came along and satchel-charged it.

They're currently in a Z-zone looking for a good place to set up again.

Well, except for the Sniper. He got drunk right after getting the info for a 'run (meeting place was in a Troll/Ork Strip bar) while we were waiting on our hacker, so the rest of the group chipped in to pay one of the troll strippers to take him home for the night. He woke up to a (disturbingly) beautiful, naked troll making him breakfast in her shag-carpet-with-in-ground-couch-and-dancing-pole-in-one-corner. He decided to make something of it, and a couple game-weeks later (when the base died), he moved in with her.

She's fun. Her name's Yvonne, and she became like a 3 Contact/5 Loyalty contact for him. Charisma 3(5).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Rusted Scrap Metal @ Mar 29 2009, 10:10 PM) *
We've got an old gas station with mechanics bay where we store vehicles and gear (and PC's that aren't currently on mission hang out) while most of us have middle lifestyles for our "lives" and low lifestyles for our "street lives" to keep things separate.

The old gas station is a pretty heavy investment on our end. Technically it's beyond the bounds of the Barrens, out in the edge of the woods and away. Bribes to the gang bosses nearby and a monthly bribe to the local Yakuza boss, toolkits and what we need to fix weapons and vehicles, a small medical bay where we can provide recovery for badly wounded characters (one of the PC's is a Desert Wars veteran doctor), and nice stuff for us to use.

ok, now i have a favorite 80's/90's cartoon series in my head wink.gif
Kingboy
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 29 2009, 02:05 PM) *

And now I have visions of a Dead Like Me style campaign where the recurring Johnson is a powerful Free Spirit with a list of people that need to die each day, and it needs to look like an "accident"...
ornot
One of my groups runner's is a mechanic, so the team always seem to hang out in her garage.

I'm considering having their enemies come down on them, but I think I'll leave it until a dramatic juncture.
Chrysalis
One group I used to play in back during the CP2020 days woudl meet at the International House of Pancakes.

Another lived in a gang building. The floors were tiled with empty pizza boxes.

Currently my group in Behind the Shadows is meeting in a nice antiseptic cafe with really good pies.

Food is an important part of every nutritious Shadowrunner... umm... nutritious breakfast of every shadowrunner. vegm.gif
paws2sky
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 30 2009, 12:33 PM) *
She's fun. Her name's Yvonne, and she became like a 3 Contact/5 Loyalty contact for him. Charisma 3(5).

Excellent! More fun NPCs to torture my players with!

-paws
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Mar 30 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Food is an important part of every nutritious Shadowrunner... umm... nutritious breakfast of every shadowrunner. vegm.gif

is that what they call a freudian slip?
Chrysalis
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 30 2009, 09:30 PM) *

Parapaxis? You mean like a Freudian slip is when you mean one thing, but you say your mother?
AgentDanny
Currently the campaign is set on the moon in a giant, domed lunar city. We used to have a restaurant with a home above it. Lost that when the yakuza raided the place and captured the party. Now we're living Serenity style in a 2.5 million nuyen cargo shuttle we stole.
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 30 2009, 12:49 PM) *
ok, now i have a favorite 80's/90's cartoon series in my head wink.gif

I remember that cartoon! In hindsight, it gives me a "G.I. Joe meets Transformers" vibe.

Regarding the original question, it depends on the character. I tend to play really paranoid "professionals," so they have a extra safeway that they take stupidly extensive measures to keep hidden, along with a spare SIN that has never been used before (more if they can afford it). Occasionally I play a more "street" level character who doesn't believe "the man" can actually find one person living in the barrens, just as a change of pace.

Ghost in the Shell is pretty good for safehouses (the episodes that feature the character's homes).

I've always really enjoyed the Blade movies for hideouts (this is my standard inspiration for a hideout, while GitS is my model for safehouses).

I like the Fast and the Furious movies for "hideouts" for riggers.

And my priest character lives in a upper middle class home in the good part of town. smile.gif Though when he gets bailed out of jail or after a run, he tends to hang out at a church for awhile. (That small background count helps alot, and significant churches should always be warded.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Mar 31 2009, 09:12 AM) *
I remember that cartoon! In hindsight, it gives me a "G.I. Joe meets Transformers" vibe.

G.I. joe never made it to any sat channels i watched as a kid (tho the toys showed up i norwegian shops), so i cant comment on that.

still, now im tempted to design a gull-winged westwind with VSTOL capability wink.gif
InfinityzeN
All my players have a High lifestyle, along with one or two Mid/Lows (personal hide outs and safe houses). Plus they have a group fund that maintains an "Office", complete with live in NPC secretary. All build using RC, the group "Office" has max security plus lots of little added security/defense things. Plus a mechanics shop, armorers shop, a medical bay, and a good Nexis. The group fund also pays for safe houses (daily rental rate) when they need them as a group.
Stingray
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 30 2009, 08:30 PM) *

It is not if you are hungry ghoul twirl.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Stingray @ Mar 31 2009, 02:18 PM) *
It is not if you are hungry ghoul twirl.gif

hey, no snacking on teammates!
Stingray
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 31 2009, 03:25 PM) *
hey, no snacking on teammates!

Oh,no..no team-mates..Tamanus is always selling..but what is price of of metahuman meat?
3 kg/day for Troll ghoul is not cheap..i would guess.
Zormal
I always liked the dwelling of one of our mages... He dug himself a hole (a big one. with furniture) in the wall of an old metro station, and hired the resident ghouls for protection. The more intelligent ones keep the feral ones in line, and everybody gets to sleep in peace. We haven't had a break-in yet.

The payments are a bit *ahem* messy, but no arrangement is perfect smile.gif
ICPiK
Yep but i bet it pays off by saving important time on digging holes.
Zormal
nyahnyah.gif

a situation like this is what shape-spells are made for.
mercurywave
So far what it sounds like to me, as long as an arrangement is made with the locals then any sweet spot can be found... the issue is not killing the locals before you enter into what could prove to be a fruitful agreement with them. I just hope the local spirit folk in South West Puyallap are looking for some tenants, if not guess squatting like the rest will have to make do; just hope they don't mind all the air ratcheting and kaboom noises.
ICPiK
Hopefully the peaceful option will play out and keep from acquiring new enemies. Epically since the point of a hideout is to get away from enemies instead of having em at your back door.
Chrysalis
I found the best hideout ever: MOBA
ICPiK
That is some pretty classy doss. You know some of that crappy art from this age would probably sell for millions to some high society clowns in 2070. HAHAHA
The Jake
PCs in my game have pooled their resources and basically have an small cavern built underground near a factory in Everett. The cavern faces Puget Sound and was carved out by a drake using his acid breath weapon and claws. One PC is Russian with ties to the Vory and is an arms smuggler. He's turned the factory into a front organisation called 'Dragonfly Shipping' (By Land, Air or Sea - We'll get it there!). The factory has a hidden tunnel underground which leads to the lair.

I have a large(ish) number of PCs (6) so the pool was significant. They've got dedicated astral wards, an AI with control of sensors and cameras, shapeshifter allies who monitor the local area, bribed the First Nations (and supply them arms) to protect their turf. They also have escape tunnels to the Ork Underground as well as Puget Sound.

It is a fairly impressive setup they have all told.

Having said that, I'm a fan of Fast and Furious for rigger hideouts too. smile.gif But lets be real, nothing beats the Batcave.

- J.
mercurywave
So are hideouts based off of the mechanic in the group normally or are there other aspects that you all have experienced? Outside of the fanciful high end societal meets at the waffle house? (you fukstick pompus ass queerboys and gals with a credstick that spans into the 4 didgets need not respond, at least to my post) wink.gif
AngelisStorm
Don't be descriminatory. I've seen Dennys, Sheries, Perkins, Bennigans, and the Alehouse, along with the Waffle House. spin.gif But just since you asked so nicely, art galleries, Irish pubs, churches, and a Kabuki theater are also popular. *grin* But those really are for meets (and planning sessions), not as "hideouts."
ICPiK
Man that's one pissed off clown. spin.gif
The Jake
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Apr 2 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Don't be descriminatory. I've seen Dennys, Sheries, Perkins, Bennigans, and the Alehouse, along with the Waffle House. spin.gif But just since you asked so nicely, art galleries, Irish pubs, churches, and a Kabuki theater are also popular. *grin* But those really are for meets (and planning sessions), not as "hideouts."

My PCs gather regularly at a cafe in downtown Seattle with their fixer called Cafe Del Mar. They gather there because it is a AAA neighborhood and find its a good place for neutral meets.

I don't have a Denny's in my game. Instead, I called it 'Dannys' *chuckle*...

- J.
Chrysalis
Instead of Starbucks, I call it Stormbucks. Seattle without Starbucks is like Disneyland without Mickey Mouse.

-Chrysalis
AngelisStorm
If I were to do a downtown Seattle meet, I would have to meet up at The Hurricane (Cafe). Thought it would be pretty great to meet up with your contact while waiting in line at Dick's.
Biokinetica
Does anybody know if it's even possible for a party to live in the X Mansion?
wylie
before my group switched to Seattle/ Ghost Cartels campaign. they were running in Denver

After one mission where they stole 4 tractor-trailers, they started converting one into a mobile base
The Jake
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Apr 13 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Instead of Starbucks, I call it Stormbucks. Seattle without Starbucks is like Disneyland without Mickey Mouse.

-Chrysalis

Awesome. biggrin.gif Mind if I pinch that?

- J.
Chrysalis
Go ahead. Ideas are free. Besides parody should be trademark free.

-Chrysalis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012