Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carjacking Without the Hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
How would a character go about stealing a car or other vehicle without hacking into it or using hacking at all?
Matsci
QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 29 2009, 08:43 PM) *
How would a character go about stealing a car or other vehicle without hacking into it or using hacking at all?

With a very big crane, and a good Jammer.
crizh
A Force 6-9 Possession Spirit?
InfinityzeN
A wrecker would work too.
Socinus
So Im guessing you basically HAVE to hack to steal anything wheeled or winged?
DireRadiant
No, use the appropriate Hardware and Technical skills. You can use the maglock picking example for guidance. A jammer would be useful too.

There's isn't "One True Way to Jack Cars", it's only limited by your imagination. Intimidation skill, Negotiation, Con, palming, Automative Mechanic, Hardware all skills that could be used.
crizh
Or to go really old-school, a stun-baton and a tow truck.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (crizh @ Mar 30 2009, 09:50 AM) *
Or to go really old-school, a stun-baton and a tow truck.

rotfl.gif So true rotfl.gif
Backgammon
The problem is not getting the car started. The problem is getting it to your hideout, and then not getting arrested the day after.

All cars have Termination chips as well as IDs. So you will leave a nice, clear trail wherever you go with the car. And if the owner is alerted, he can kill the car remotely, or simply call the cops and they can follow you as if you have a GTA-style yellow line leading up to your location. THAT'S what you gotta worry about.
Socinus
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Mar 30 2009, 04:47 PM) *
The problem is not getting the car started. The problem is getting it to your hideout, and then not getting arrested the day after.

All cars have Termination chips as well as IDs. So you will leave a nice, clear trail wherever you go with the car. And if the owner is alerted, he can kill the car remotely, or simply call the cops and they can follow you as if you have a GTA-style yellow line leading up to your location. THAT'S what you gotta worry about.

I have considered that and I wonder if rolling an EMP grenade under the car would fix most, if not all, of those problems. A suitable mechanic or hardware skill needed to re-boot the car's computer and get it going again.

Also, what beneficial effect would plonking a Jammer into the passenger seat and switching it on have?
kzt
QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 30 2009, 10:52 AM) *
I have considered that and I wonder if rolling an EMP grenade under the car would fix most, if not all, of those problems. A suitable mechanic or hardware skill needed to re-boot the car's computer and get it going again.

If you fry the vehicle electronics you can't be traced by them. What were you planning on doing with this large immobile collection of parts? I suppose you could sell the tires... Or if you had a flatbed and a chop shop... But the way to get the computer going again is to replace it. Oh and it's not ONE computer, it's ALL the computers. There are dozens of them. The ABS computers in each wheel etc...
Socinus
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 30 2009, 05:06 PM) *
If you fry the vehicle electronics you can't be traced by them. What were you planning on doing with this large immobile collection of parts? I suppose you could sell the tires... Or if you had a flatbed and a chop shop... But the way to get the computer going again is to replace it. Oh and it's not ONE computer, it's ALL the computers. There are dozens of them. The ABS computers in each wheel etc...

Would the Jammer prevent tracking or the owner shutting the car down?
Adarael
As people have mentioned, you can use the Hardware skill to remove the termination chips, transponder, broadcast LoJack type systems and replace them with cloned chips that say, "I am not Bob's car, I am quite obviously frank's car."
Backgammon
QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 30 2009, 12:11 PM) *
Would the Jammer prevent tracking or the owner shutting the car down?

Yes. It would also get you pulled over even faster for an entirely different and even worse reason.

QUOTE (Adarael @ Mar 30 2009, 12:15 PM) *
As people have mentioned, you can use the Hardware skill to remove the termination chips, transponder, broadcast LoJack type systems and replace them with cloned chips that say, "I am not Bob's car, I am quite obviously frank's car."

Yeah. That takes a shit load of time, but it will definately work. Hacking the car would be faster. Actually, the SOP of a car thief ring would, I imagine, be to hack the car to get it to the shop, then replace the chips to "wash it" - if it's not being chopped for parts.
Adarael
Well, sure, but the OP's question wasn't 'is this as fast'. wink.gif

Even 'slow' as it is, I've seen a PC drop the lockout chips and gridlink system & replace the whole shebang in about a minute and a half. Granted, this was using SR3 time intervals & rules for the extended rolls, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to get similar results in SR4. Slower than the 6-9 seconds it'd take in the matrix, but it's not exactly a crawl.
Red-ROM
so, what would the tests be? Infiltrate to not get spotted messing with the car, hardware to bypass security alarms, hardware to reformat the central node or bypass it for your own? maybe a maglock test or another hardware test to break in? how many steps are there? would you simplify it to one extended test?
Backgammon
Turns out there's a plainly written seciton on thsi in Arsenal!

VEHICLE SECURITY
Auto-theft , carjacking, and drone-napping are still some of the
fondest pastimes for sprawl low-lifes, so it pays to have good vehicle
security (or to know how to bypass it, depending on which side
you’re on). Few vehicles use old-fashioned physical keys in 2070,
though some make use of transponder-embedded keys (see p. 255,
SR4). Instead, interior access and ignition are physically protected
by maglocks equipped with RFID card readers, keypads, biometric
systems, or some combination thereof (see pp. 255 and 326, SR4).
Th e standard ratings for these devices is 3 (4 for security vehicles and
5 for military vehicles), but gamemasters should feel free to adjust
this as appropriate to the vehicle make and model. Characters can
add or modify the security systems of their own vehicles with any of
the systems above, or those noted on p. 132. Th ese security systems
do not take up vehicle mod slots (at the gamemaster’s discretion),
but adding or modifying systems requires a Logic + Hardware (8, 1
hour) Extended Test. Characters who are serious about protecting
their vehicles can also use the anti-theft system described on p. 132.
On top of this, many vehicles also employ wireless security
by encrypting the vehicle’s Matrix node (typically with a Rating 3
Encrypt program; see p. 227, SR4). Until the node is decrypted
by an authorized user, the vehicle is locked down. Hackers can
circumvent this by hacking (see p. 221, SR4) and decrypting (see
p. 225, SR4) the node, or by somehow obtaining the account’s
passcode and decryption key (such as by intercepting wireless signals
or good old-fashioned torture). Alternately, the hacker can
attempt to spoof commands from the owner (see p. 224, SR4),
which is typically how drones are jacked.
Once a car is stolen, the party isn’t over yet. As active Matrix
nodes that are also loaded with RFID tags, vehicles are easy to trace
and possibly even remotely shut down. To circumvent these diffi
culties, car thieves typically employ tag erasers (p. 320, SR4), put
the vehicle node in hidden mode or spoof its access ID (see Spoofi ng
the Datatrail, p. 224, SR4), replace the physical license plates, and
employ the other tricks described under Vehicle Anonymity.
ICPiK
Every body's gotta complicate things.
STEP 1 : Smash window
STEP 2: Shove SMG or equivalent In Drivers face
STEP 3: Express bodily harm in a deep and fast manner
STEP 4: Snatch comlink throw out driver
STEP 5: Get as deep into barrens as you can

That's how I do it
Hope that's official lol
Heath Robinson
Steal the owner's commlink. Like the owner is going to remember a large cryptographic key and the node address of his car when his computer does it for them. Bonus: You get their SIN and bank details. And a spare 'link. And a bunch of programs.

"Please state the registration of the vehicle for the computer."
"Uh... I can't remember. Been a long time since I bought it, and I got all the paperwork on my 'link. That's been stolen."
"Well, can you tell us any details for your stolen commlink?"
"It handled all that for itself. I don't know any of the details myself."
"Please state you SIN for the computer."
"I don't know that either. Had it on my commlink."
"Excuse me while I talk to my superior."

The prefect crime is one that denies the authorities the information necessary to solve it.
ICPiK
Exactly! While the world has evolved in so many ways in 2070 ...sometimes John q. public just wants to keep his brain in his pan. And the quickest way for a mark to do that is listen to the murdering criminal. Also in the likely hood he had a back up way to shut the ride down...would you want to stop a cybered up killer with a SMG?
CanRay
One way to do it is to hotwire the vehicle and quickly (VERY QUICKLY) drive it to a Static Zone so it can't be tracked.

I see Chop Shops operating in Static Zones to prevent just such occurances. Although the cars tend to get shot up in those zones. A lot.

Another option is drive into a Spam Zone. Even Police will have to deal with MegaCorp-Level Viral Advertising, and it's easier to lose them that way. Not as good as a Static Zone, but if your ride got blowed up, this is a good secondary option. Remember to keep your Burner CommLink with your Fake SIN on, and your Black MSP 'Runner CommLink off, that way you're not dealing with the Spam yourself (At least, until you're at the safehouse, cleaning out the Burner.).

Don't forget to physically disconnect the Matrix-Transmitted Immobilizer. That'll stop the car every time.

There, no hacking done, just physical jacking.
CanRay
QUOTE (ICPiK @ Mar 30 2009, 07:22 PM) *
Every body's gotta complicate things.
STEP 1 : Smash window
STEP 2: Shove SMG or equivalent In Drivers face
STEP 3: Express bodily harm in a deep and fast manner
STEP 4: Snatch comlink throw out driver
STEP 5: Get as deep into barrens as you can

That's how I do it
Hope that's official lol

Punk: [shouting] "Get outta the car, bitch, or I'm gonna blow your brains out!"
Donny: "You gotta be shittin' me."
Punk: "I will shoot you, dammnit!"
[Donny takes his gun and knocks him out]
Freb: "Damn!"
Donny: "You lazy, half-ass bully! Any asshole can pull a gun on somebody! You don't know the first thing about stealing a car! Boy! You need a role model!"
Adarael
I actually know a guy who did just that, when he lived around Watts. He got out of the car like he was gonna give it up, and then beat the snot out of the carjacker. Musta taken some serious stones.
kzt
Average SR cars have windows tougher than the armored trucks that banks use. You are not going to break it with anything that will leave the car drivable.

Now grabbing the driver as they get in or out of the car works. A shot of natcojet or neurostun (or just beat them unconscious or terrorize them into submission), then grab their comlink, use plastic restraints to cuff them and toss them in the trunk.
Heath Robinson
I was hoping that my comments would move people towards the aggressive side of the neuromancer ratings. Instead it made it easier for the untrustworthy side.

Isn't it obvious that the whole thing is easier when you remove the owner of the commlink from the equation?
CanRay
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Apr 4 2009, 01:03 AM) *
I was hoping that my comments would move people towards the aggressive side of the neuromancer ratings. Instead it made it easier for the untrustworthy side.

Isn't it obvious that the whole thing is easier when you remove the owner of the commlink from the equation?

But then you can't sell him as "Fresh Meat" to your High Level Ghoul Contact in exchange for a favour! cyber.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Apr 3 2009, 11:03 PM) *

But you are making a fundamentally wrong assumption. The cops are GOOD at things like taking the name of someone calling and producing a list of what cars they own, then having gridlink show where it is and sending a few cars and armed drones to ask the driver some questions.

If nobody reports the crime it's unlikely to be investigated. You've already committed ADW, robbery and kidnapping just by carjacking the car, another count or two isn't a going to materially change the punishment if you are caught. You can always let them them out somewhere else. Or drive to their house and loot it, then and leave them there such that they can't call the cops for a while.
Tyro
Just make sure it's nobody too important. If the CEO misses a meeting, people go looking.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 4 2009, 01:26 PM) *
Just make sure it's nobody too important. If the CEO misses a meeting, people go looking.

That would depend on what he was the CEO of. vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012