Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Addiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evilgoattea
If a player uses a particular drug pretty frequently can the addiction upgrade by a degree, say go from moderate to severe? If so is it an addiction test to determine this or is there another way? The BBB seems to say you only need to make an addiction test if you are attempting to resist the craving.

-Josh
Degausser
Strangely enough, Arsenal has rules for this, and so does the base book. If you do too much, yes your addiction level can go up.

Basically, to resist taking a drug, you need a Logic+Willpower test (Or Body+Willpower if it is a chemical dependence drug, like cigarettes with Nicotine.) If they fail, they indulge. Glitches result in 'Bad trips' while critical Glitches result in increased tolerance (meaning they have to take an extra dose of the drug to get their fix.)

For addictions to 'mild' stuff (BTLs, Stims, Cigs, Gambling) I treat it pretty loosely. A Mild addiction doesn't change much, a Moderate addiction increases their lifestyle cost by 5%, Severe by 10%, Burnout by 20% Characters will suffer withdrawal symptoms if they are kept away from their substance of choice for too long.

The stuff that you gotta pay closer attention to are the drugs. They grant bigger bonuses (Combat Bonuses) so th downsides to them gotta be steeper. They can suffer overdoses or even death, and their withdrawl symptoms are far more severe.
pbangarth
Then there's that wonderful addiction to Betel gum, that never goes beyond mild, gives +1 die to Perception, and comes with a 5 BP bonus.
The Jake
Slightly off topic, does anyone know if there is an ingame equivalent for the drug "deadhead" as mentioned in the novel Shadowplay?

I know its not cannon, the closest I could find is the drug that grants Immunity to Fear but by RAW, deadhead would have a higher availability I'm sure...

- J.
Degausser
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 31 2009, 02:46 AM) *
Slightly off topic, does anyone know if there is an ingame equivalent for the drug "deadhead" as mentioned in the novel Shadowplay?

I know its not cannon, the closest I could find is the drug that grants Immunity to Fear but by RAW, deadhead would have a higher availability I'm sure...

- J.

I am not familiar with that novel. What does Deadhead do?
The Jake
QUOTE (Degausser @ Mar 31 2009, 06:59 AM) *
I am not familiar with that novel. What does Deadhead do?

Think 'Immunity to Emotion'. A step above 'Immunity to Fear'.

No fear, no sadness, no anger. Nothing.

Downside is that when you come off the drug the emotional acts of anything done while under the influence hits you like a punch in the face (all at once). Long time addicts - particularly those who have committed lots of evil deeds (like the guy, Modal in the novel) know that coming down at all could result in a psychological trauma so extreme it could kill them.

- J.
Degausser
Interesting idea for a drug. The closest in the book Arsenal is "Dopadrine" which is like Deadhead lite. The duration is 10x1d6 minutes, and it reduces all physical dice pools by 1.

The description says that it is a drug that combines antipychotic medication, and narcotics. It cancels Beserk, prevents beserk rages from happening (such as the rage from K-10), and it heightens the apathy of users, making them disconnected and dispondent

As you said, GUTS gives immunity to fear (all fear, including magical) and they become reckless.
The Jake
Best fictional drug I could compare it to is prozium in Equilibrium.

It's somewhere between the two you listed - it definitely deadens emotions but I wouldn't see it making someone 'reckless'. They would certainly make decisions without any regard for the moral implications (probably taking the most logical course of action).

There's no stats for something like this, so even using the Chemical rules you'd have to get a GM to decide on an arbitrary threshold (for making it) and availability (for buying it).

- J.
mercurywave
Easiest way to deal with an addiction is to do some whenever you get the urge. At least that's what I've observed from my orc chummer friends and their cram addiction. Same with me, a cheezy puff addiction is is a pain to break, that's why I'm such a fat ass. No, seriously, I resist as long as possible, just like my hot sim addiction, but when the role goes bad, and I'm pretty weak willed, ya gotta go for the gusto!!

As in the BBB, p248, whenever a critical glitch is made tolerance increases. With a higher tolerance more of the drug is used, therefore a bigger junkie, and another notch on the addiction table, as well as their arm. (so as I see it)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012