Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Flight of Dragons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DV8
Does anyone know where I can find information on the flight of dragons that was held over the astral rift in front of the Watergate Hotel in DC after Dunkelzahn died?
Rock-Steady
In one of the first two of the "Dragon Heart" novels.

Damn read them again a month ago and forgot with one it was. dead.gif

Edit:

In the first one "Stranger Souls" Chapter 25.
kevyn668
DV8: Have you seen that movie? "Flight of Dragons" or was it just coincidence?
DV8
Rock-Steady: You live up to your name.

Kevyn: I have seen that film, about a trillion years ago. It sucked. But as far as I know it's the general word to use when there's a large convergence of wyrms. I'm sure it's not just limited to the film and Dragonlance books. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
It should really be a Scheming of Dragons and a Subterfuge of Immortal Elves.

~J
kevyn668
DV8 Posted on Jan 14 2004, 08:27 AM
  Rock-Steady: You live up to your name.

Kevyn: I have seen that film, about a trillion years ago. It sucked. But as far as I know it's the general word to use when there's a large convergence of wyrms. I'm sure it's not just limited to the film and Dragonlance books.

Sorry, late night post.

And what do you mean it sucked? Whats hard to believe about a human in modern times getting transported to Never-neverland , having his conciousness placed in a dragon's body and having to learn to eat limestone in order to breathe fire? nyahnyah.gif
DV8
That. smile.gif
kevyn668
biggrin.gif
DV8
For those of you who give a shit...

QUOTE ("Stranger Souls @ p. 165")
Something caught his eye just then, a flash of red light in the sky. He looked up, his jaw dropping as the scene came into being. A dragon streaked across the sky, racing down like an immense eagle toward its prey. Red flames blasted from its nostrils as it dscended, the fire trailing behind it in twin tails. It wasn't Dunkelzahn, Ryan knew, but i looked like another Great Western. Lofwyr? Or another?

A long melodious bellow announced the arrival of a second dragon, off to the left. An Eastern Great, this one, green scales and shorter wings, sinuous as it flew. Like a snake in the air.

The two met just over the manastorm, their speed dizzying, leaving streaks of fire, one red, one green. Another arrived, a feathered serpent this time. And another Western. They flew around the site of Dunkelzahn's death, spiraling past each other as they rocketed into the sky.
Ryan felt magic come from their dance, increasing as more and more dragons arrived to join in. The dance was held in absolute silence at first, made all the more poignant by the fact that the rioting and fighting had stopped across the city, at least as far as Ryan could hear. People were mesmerized by the sight.

After a few minutes, twelve or thirteen dragons, by Ryan's count, were flying in the sky. All species were represented. Nadja stood next to him and watched in silence and awe. Their dance was raw and powerful, magical and intricate. Light and heat radiated from the tapestry of motion they created.

Bellows and cries reached Ryan's ears then. The dancing dragons had broken their silence. The roars shook Ryan to the bones. There were screams of anguish and outrage. Howls lamenting their fallen kin, taken from his mortal coil against nature. Visceral outcry against such an affront.

[...]

An homage to one of their own, fallen before his time.

[...]

The Great Dragon Dance went on for several hours [...]

Is there any canon reference as to who the dragons were?
Tanka
After a quick scan through DotSW, I can safely assume none of the major players were specifically described. They could have been there, but none were described.

The only description that could've helped at all was the Eastern Great, which has no mention in DotSW under the coloration given.
Abstruse
The sourcebook on Dunkelzahn's will has a description of the dance. Lofwyr and Hestaby I remember for sure were there as they were mentioned. It was also mentioned that cameras etc. couldn't pick up anything.

This brings up an interesting question...can dragons show up on cameras or not? I know their thoughtspeak can't, but what about if they're in human form? Can you see them? In human form? Sources are kinda vague that I recall on where a dragon actually shows up on electronic media...

The Abstruse One
Nath
QUOTE (Abstruse)
This brings up an interesting question...can dragons show up on cameras or not? I know their thoughtspeak can't, but what about if they're in human form? Can you see them? In human form? Sources are kinda vague that I recall on where a dragon actually shows up on electronic media...

Dunkelzahn (and now Masaru) showed up in every edition of Wyrm Talk, not to mention the 2057 campaign. In the short story at the beginning of Blood in the Boardroom, Lofwyr is in human form to make a vid call to JC Priault on Zurich-Orbital.
sable twilight
The dragons could have used an invisibility to electronics spell. Of course this brings up the question, did they show up on photos taken by non-digital cameras (which would then lead us into another great invisibility debate, I'm sure...). Maybe invisibility to technology spell?

Actually, if some one playing a game set at about that time, I could see the potential for a great MacGuffin here. Some photographer managed to shoot pictures of the Flight of Dragons using old single reflex lens camera when the photographer realized the dragons were not showing up on his or her digital recorder. Now the photos and negatives are in very high demand. And don't forget the need to deck the photographer's system to wipe out scanned copies. The best part is that as a GM you would have great incentive to a dragon, or anyone for that matter, to hire the runners without worrying about character getting some god-awful power item in their hands. It's just a bunch of photos that everyone will be looking for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012