Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insect spirits and the matrix
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
Can insect spirits, in a hybrid merge use the implanted commlink to surf the matrix?
darthmord
Hybrid and Flesh form can use implants.
Marduc
But can use the matrix in the same as a normal NPC can?
raggedhalo
Yes. The implant functions the same. This is partly why Inhabitation is quite so good.
TBRMInsanity
I wouldn't see why they would want to use the matrix (it would be quite alien to their point of view). But that being said it is fully possible.
Neraph
QUOTE (darthmord @ Apr 2 2009, 07:27 AM) *
Hybrid and Flesh form can use implants.

Where does it say Flesh Forms can? Unless you consider using cyberware as an "ability"..
darthmord
It says in the sidebar they have access to all of the abilities of the host when they achieve a Hybrid or Flesh form (Good) merge.
Degausser
Even if they couldn't use an implant, the should be able to surf the matrix using a trode rig or nanotrode paste. That just reads/interprets brain signals, and gives signals back. Doesn't involve an implant at all.
KarmaInferno
You really never know who'll you'll meet in the Matrix/Internet, do you?

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 2 2009, 10:21 PM) *
You really never know who'll you'll meet in the Matrix/Internet, do you?

>>> Bug hosts are awesome. It's like a completely alien view of the world. Jacked up nasal tracks and really low res visuals. Kinda tingly though, guess it's a bad mapping of a sense we don't have.

The architecture is awe inspiring. <<<
Anonymous Coward
Rasumichin
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Apr 2 2009, 02:27 PM) *
I wouldn't see why they would want to use the matrix (it would be quite alien to their point of view). But that being said it is fully possible.

Why use the matrix?
Because they need to if they really want to follow their new, more subtle approach to take over the world (that whole UB thing must have been a catastrophic failure from their point of view).
Hard to take over mafia families, corporations or governments secretly when they all of a sudden go offline without any explanation, right?

Of course it would be alien to them, but the same could be said about our physical world as well.
And a good merge has all the memories of the host, so it would be able to operate in the matrix with relative ease.
Neraph
How about where Inhabitation functions like Posession, except where stated otherwise, and spirits cannot view AR, VR, or anything else?
Rasumichin
Stated otherwise as in "Unlike possession spirits, hybrid form
merges can operate a direct neural interface
and the host’s cyberware (if any) continues to
function for the spirit"?
Snow_Fox
imagine the old UB with deckers using psychotropic black ICE
The_Vanguard
I'd say that it makes perfect sense for free insect spirits of the hive type to join MoSoSos. It's the closest thing available to the hive mind they have lost. Better check your online contacts twice, chummer.

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 4 2009, 09:26 PM) *
imagine the old UB with deckers using psychotropic black ICE

The novel "2XS" by Nigel D. Findley went into that direction, but with BTLs.
Snow_Fox
Not quite, they were using 2XS to see who was strong willed enough to make a good merge. I mean with psychotropic ICE they could have people just walk up to be taken or direct friend to a 'safe' house etc. agressive recruiting without having to grab street people.
The_Vanguard
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 5 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Not quite, they were using 2XS to see who was strong willed enough to make a good merge. I mean with psychotropic ICE they could have people just walk up to be taken or direct friend to a 'safe' house etc. agressive recruiting without having to grab street people.

Oh, sorry. I thought 2XS also had a brainwashing component, but it's been years since I read it. Anyway, I like your idea very much. Excellent adventure material.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012