Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brain altering devices
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

Recently I was cataloguing my cyberpunk collection and I wondered what kinds of brain altering devices can be found in Shadowrun? There are the fluff alluded things such as p-fix chips. I found them a bit plebian. What other psychocybernetics are there in the sixth world?
Heath Robinson
Basically just the Data Filter, though you could call the Invoked Memory Stimulator the same kind of thing. For the most part Psychocyber doesn't feature too heavily since it puts roleplaying demands on people for bonuses. Mostly it's drugs that do that. Don't ask me why.

Just in case you haven't remembered them already, the Reality Amps in Unwired probably qualify.
sds
PABs as well. A device to strap in the unfortunate and then delete, change or add memeories. Unfortunately I don't remember which sr4 book they are in.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (sds @ Apr 12 2009, 09:53 AM) *
PABs as well. A device to strap in the unfortunate and then delete, change or add memeories. Unfortunately I don't remember which sr4 book they are in.

Unwired? There's a whole section on brainwashing...
hobgoblin
unwired, p 189 onwards...

freakin corp ninjas...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 12 2009, 07:17 AM) *
unwired, p 189 onwards...

freakin corp ninjas...

Corp Ninjas? There are Corp Ninjas?... Damn, I though that my idea was unique... Oh Well...
CanRay
*Waves Hand* There are no Brain Altering Devices.

"There are no Brain Altering Devices."

*Waves Hand Again* Be a good citizen of the Corp and happily go work the Tech Support lines.

"I'll be a good citizen of the Corp and happily go work the Tech Support lines."
Method
I introduced a little gadget called the behavioral modification SPU to my 3rd ed game. Basically a microcomputer wired into the punishment and reward centers of the brain. If you acted contrary to it's programming it induced seizures in the pain centers of the subject's brain.
the_real_elwood
I don't recall any rules for them, but the fluff mentions personafix skillwires (or whatever they're called) lots. Basically, a chip you can slot in a skillwire system that completely overrules a persons personality. Gets used frequently to make people to work in brothels.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Apr 13 2009, 12:54 AM) *
I don't recall any rules for them, but the fluff mentions personafix skillwires (or whatever they're called) lots. Basically, a chip you can slot in a skillwire system that completely overrules a persons personality. Gets used frequently to make people to work in brothels.

They're the P-fixes mentioned in the first post. wink.gif
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Apr 12 2009, 06:58 PM) *
They're the P-fixes mentioned in the first post. wink.gif

Well that'll teach me to just scan the original post in a thread.
hobgoblin
or how about a skill chip that induces a love for mother corp?
sds
Uh! Most of my books are far away but I guess that Psychotropic black ice that WILL make you love the mother corp still exists. Although not exactly what you asked for, magic can also seriously affect a brain, control actions/mind/emotions, plus I seem to remember a suggestion like spell, maybe someone can check Street Magic?

There are several things to choose from, but now you made me curious as to why you asked. Any good/bad ideas you can share?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012