Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aztlan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
This is just a pet theory but I thought I'd see what you all make of it.

Aztlan has no Horror corrupted or possesed or whatever being in charge. All the blood magic and crap with Sr. Oscuro (who thinks he does serve the horrors) is an attempt to get the scourge going early. "Obvious!" you say. I say "Why?"

Aztlan has some Immortal (elf or dragon or both) at the top. This Immortal(s) longs for the days when they were large and in charge (works better here if it's a dragon) and is scehming to bring this about. Aztlan is a deliberate attempt to recreate Thera (which implies an IE).

An early Scourge means that only the prepared will survive, mostly the great dragons. There may be some IE's left and if ED is any yardstick a few enclaves of the young races (some primitives did manage to avoid the scourge). After the Horrors leave the being who was able to prepare the best starts from a position of strength. All the Immortals know this and are maneuvering to shore up strength.

The Immortal(s) in charge of Aztlan were going to bring the Scourge early to cath the others with their pants down. They want to use the Horrors as a gambit in their game. Ego!
BitBasher
"Obvious!" you say. I say "Why?"

Well... er... because it was stated pretty directly in Harlequin's Back and Worlds Without Ends.
Req
...and cuz Herr Oscuro can summon Horror constructs, implying he's not just deluded. smile.gif
Pthgar
First, the "obvious" line was an attempt to break up the monotony of writing. Harlequins Back does not give any motivation for Darkes' desire to bring the Horrors here early except that he is evil. That's fine for Darke's Why, but it leaves out the Why for Aztlan.

Second, I never said Darke only thought he could conjure horror constucts. I said that his bosses weren't working for the horrors, just using them in a grand power grab. Darke may or may not have known this, but he wouldn't care if it got the horrors here early.
kevyn668
Since I can't put any better....

BitBasher Posted on Jan 14 2004, 04:58 PM
"Obvious!" you say. I say "Why?"

Well... er... because it was stated pretty directly in Harlequin's Back and Worlds Without Ends. 

I'm pretty sure that at some point in Halequin's Back, H does state something to the effect of "Darke in an agent of the Enemy"
Pthgar
I'm not talking about Darke's motivation, he is a sick puppy, agreed.
But Aztlan was bankrolling (or whatever) him. What was their motivation?
Pthgar
I just noticed the other thread. I'm going to repost my theory over there cause the topic is so similiar. I don't want to be accused of threadjacking.
BitBasher
Harlequins Back does not give any motivation for Darkes' desire to bring the Horrors here early except that he is evil. That's fine for Darke's Why, but it leaves out the Why for Aztlan.
I disgree, I think evil for the sake of evil is horrible writing frown.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I think evil for the sake of evil is horrible writing frown.gif

I think you're absoloutly correct.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Pthgar)
But Aztlan was bankrolling (or whatever) him. What was their motivation?

The promise of great power and influence. All the other megacorps would be destroyed, but Aztechnology would stand to become the sole economic force of the world.

Remember, I say it is the promise of greatness, somewhat backed up by the magical advanced they were given.
mfb
yeah. i mean, i doubt O put the horrible screaming death of all life on the planet part in a bullet on his powerpoint presentation, when he was proposing this in the Boardroom of Doom.
Siege
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jan 14 2004, 06:23 PM)

Truthfully, people are strange, awful and wonderful things.

Why do people do good and evil things? Because they can? Because they follow some moral code, better or worse?

I don't necessarily require an indepth history and motivation of each character -- I can assume the character in question found his or her way to the path they currently walk on their own.

I don't really have to know they turned to the Dark side because their puppy Skip got run over by a 12' Hot Dog advertising display as it fell off a building and started rolling down the street.

-Siege
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jan 14 2004, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jan 14 2004, 06:23 PM)

Truthfully, people are strange, awful and wonderful things.

Why do people do good and evil things? Because they can? Because they follow some moral code, better or worse?

I don't necessarily require an indepth history and motivation of each character -- I can assume the character in question found his or her way to the path they currently walk on their own.

I don't really have to know they turned to the Dark side because their puppy Skip got run over by a 12' Hot Dog advertising display as it fell off a building and started rolling down the street.

-Siege

You make a good point. I guess I'm not looking for an indepth character history, bt rather, at least a hint that there's some reason or motivation behind a character's actions. I'm looking for not only Actus Reas (evil deed) but also Mens Rea (evil thought.)
Zazen
Evil for the sake of evil is perfectly fine in an epic, and the whole creation-and-fate-of-all-humanity scope of the ED-SR saga certainly qualifies it. It's not sloppy writing.
mfb
keep your epic the hell away from my SR.
toturi
SR is epic... What are you playing if not epic?
mfb
i'm playing it right!

seriously, though. the 'focus' of SR, if it has one, is street-level grittiness--noir. in noir, no one is simple; everyone has a motivation. a bad guy who is evil for the sake of evil is fine, in the occasional righteous crusader campaign--but generally, SR villains should be more than cardboard cutout bad guys.
toturi
Really? Then there are no IEs and GDs then? No, Thayla? No Darke? No AZTEC??? My God, there's no Aztec!
mfb
all those things exist. but the gameplay focuses pretty squarely on street-level combat. that stuff, mainly, is background. if the game were intended to focus on interaction with GDs, IEs, and the rest of the power players, don't you think that maybe there'd be more clearly-defined rules for them?

i'm not saying a given game can't shoot up into those levels of power. i'm saying that, in general, that stuff is supposed to be the backdrop against which the gameplay is set.
toturi
They did come up with them... and those rules are just as Canon as the rest... Case in point: SotF
Kagetenshi
The problem is that IEs and GDs and the Horrors are big and epic. Everyone (mostly) wants to read about them.
Some people mistake this with everyone wanting to play with them, and thus introducing them left and right. I make this error myself, though I try to keep things relatively quiet.
In my opinion, if your characters ever end up in a situation where they've got Inazo Aneki hostage or something like that, their first reaction should be "oh SHIT, what do we do now?" rather than "ok, now we can negotiate for XYZ billion nuyen..."
If they start realizing they're out of their league, you're doing it right.

~J
mfb
eh? SotF has stats on Hestaby and the other major players involved? golly, i'll have to pick that up.

if the rules for a given NPC are "this NPC is better than the PCs in every possible way", that's rule-ese for "not intended for use in everyday gaming." yes, for the occaisonal game, you can bring in Harlequinn or whoever. but the rules aren't designed to have them pop up every time you sit down to play.
Shockwave_IIc
Not quite stats on Hestaby more the amount of dice she rolls for perception (and thus her Intelligence) Which to be frank is a lot lower than i expected. I have a totally legal PC with only point lower without any magic involved.....
Zazen
QUOTE (mfb)
keep your epic the hell away from my SR.

I said it wasn't sloppy writing. I can't imagine using such characters in an actual game. Hell, my game has never had an IE, dragon, or any horror-related thing in it.
mfb
yeah. i've got violent allergies to that sort of thing, myself. you may have noticed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012