Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Partial astral projection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shanshu Freeman
OK, this may be a stupid question, but I'll embrace my ignorance. I'm not too well read on the magic side of SR, but I was wondering if it would be possible to astrally project only a part of your body.

Would it be possible to, say, remain in the trunk and head of your body, and yet have your arms and legs moving astrally? Like if standing, could you gesture astrally with your arms, while your meat arms just dangled? Maybe do some kind of Kata, but astrally. (Either minus the leg portions, or do the legwork fast enough to return them before you collapsed, or pop into the legs periodically)
Kagetenshi
It's an interesting idea, but for balance reasons I'd have to say no.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It's an interesting idea, but for balance reasons I'd have to say no.

~J

You mean because of the bonuses to initiative and magic use astrally?

What if the person kept all limitations imposed by remaining in their meat body and only gained the use of their arms astrally? For a geasa they could wave their arms astrally or whatever.
Kagetenshi
I meant for the ability to fulfill a Gesture geas while bound.

~J
RedmondLarry
If that's what you want it for, then no.
Req
Or Lone Star can invest in the newest magic around, Bondage Foci! These leather straps go with you into the Astral Plane!

Err. Wait. No.
Panzergeist
Ghost projected his hand into the astral in an attempt to punch the city spirit without exposing himself to excesive danger. Unfortunately, he punched the wall next to the spirit with his astral fist, giving himself a psychosomatic fist-ache, because he couldn't see, since his head wasn't in the astral. The the spirit ignored his hand and attacked his body, since he was dual-natured. Ghost died a stupid death. But legend has it that his hand is still lurking in the astral plane in Seattle, bumping into walls and trying to fulfill it's mission to punch a city spirit it can't see.
Shanshu Freeman

I meant for the ability to fulfill a Gesture geas while bound.

Hmm. What if it was allowed at the GM's discretion? I'd use it for flavor and not any real in-game effects. It'd be interesting to be able to use it to wave at friends, point at things, etc. But the reciever of the message would have to be percieving at the moment... hmm.

QUOTE (Panzergeist @ Jan 14 2004, 08:46 PM)
Ghost projected his hand into the astral in an attempt to punch the city spirit without exposing himself to excesive danger.  Unfortunately, he punched the wall next to the spirit with his astral fist, giving himself a psychosomatic fist-ache, because he couldn't see, since his head wasn't in the astral.  The the spirit ignored his hand and attacked his body, since he was dual-natured.  Ghost died a stupid death.  But legend has it that his hand is still lurking in the astral plane in Seattle, bumping into walls and trying to fulfill it's mission to punch a city spirit it can't see.

could be percieving too.
BitBasher
I have to say "HELL NO" to this, lest someone leans up against a wall and astrally sticks their head through it. too many incidences for abuse. also I think its kinda loopy.

Projection is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
I'm just a little bit pregnant.

~J
Panzergeist
I know a guy who got ass-pregnant in prison.
Req
So I'd say that's a bit TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Thanks, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012