Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happens when the arms industry watches "Predator" too many times
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fix-it
Brought to you by the Knight Armament Corporation

More by clicking "index" above the pic.

ohplease.gif
Stahlseele
Nope, in Predator, Arnold used a frigging Minigun.
I still want the big gun from that one Beverly-Hills Cop Movie ^^
Fix-it
I am aware that it was a minigun, however as that proved completely impractical, it appears that KAC has developed something only slightly less impractical.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 15 2009, 06:15 PM) *

I'm all for that!

Or the gun from Fifth-Element. The one with the shiny red button.
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Apr 15 2009, 06:29 PM) *
I am aware that it was a minigun, however as that proved completely impractical, it appears that KAC has developed something only slightly less impractical.

Impractical as a Infantry weapon, but not as a Infantry Fighting Vehicle weapon!
Wanderlust
cyber.gif I want one!

Any idea what this beast is called?

Reminds me more of an M56 smartgun from aliens - with a grenade launcher.

Or maybe more like that Chaingun from Killzone. Thet's the problem, gun designers - too many computer games.
Caadium
You should check out the info on their carbine, the PDW. If you hit index you can see it's picture, but that doesn't say anything about its performance.
Wanderlust
Oh, apparently they were just messing around. Shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLK-4VGVks

Gives me a nice idea though. To the arsenal! biggrin.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (Caadium @ Apr 15 2009, 06:12 PM) *
You should check out the info on their carbine, the PDW. If you hit index you can see it's picture, but that doesn't say anything about its performance.

the KAC PDW

yeah, I'm not a big fan; non-"standard" ammo, (hard to find). I'd rather go with a Subgun platform and +P ammo, with the ability to scrounge, or just be not-stupid and get one of the dozens of folding-stock 5.56 rifles that take STANAG magazines.

it amazes me that they continue to develop expensive solutions for non-existent problems. I mean you, IPod-sniper-calculator.

yay military-industrial-political complex.
AngelisStorm
Gosh that's pretty.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Apr 15 2009, 07:38 PM) *
the KAC PDW
yeah, I'm not a big fan; non-"standard" ammo, (hard to find). I'd rather go with a Subgun platform and +P ammo, with the ability to scrounge, or just be not-stupid and get one of the dozens of folding-stock 5.56 rifles that take STANAG magazines.

Or one of the million AK-Clones out there, and fit it with whatever furniture you want. Ability to scrounge with that as well.

Pretty much a toss-up between the two. Pros and cons for both that are better discussed in other forums, but also needed to be said here.
kzt
It's essentially a joke. IIRC, it does work, but it's more of a what a machinist with a MG manufacturer license who said over drinks "what if if we combined a chain saw and a machingun...."

DoomFrog
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 15 2009, 04:15 PM) *
Nope, in Predator, Arnold used a frigging Minigun.

Okay... Arnold did not use a minigun in Predator. It was Bill Duke.

Ed_209a
QUOTE (DoomFrog @ Apr 16 2009, 03:01 AM) *
Okay... Arnold did not use a minigun in Predator. It was Bill Duke.

The other future governor in Predator too, Jesse Ventura.
AngelisStorm
The constitution needs to be rewritten, to say that one must be born an American Citizen to be president or vice-president, unless your Arnold.

THEN Jesse Ventura and Arnold can run for President/Vice President together. I don't care who gets top billing, the results (one way or another) will be so amazing that I would love to just see it. (But I'm also disipointed that Colin Powell didn't run for president, because he could have won and been the first black president. And Barbara Bush and Elizabeth Dole would have made a pretty rockin team to.)
Ed_209a
I don't know if the KAC PDW will survive or not (probably not, since it is still in prototype form after 3 years), but super-short-barrel assault rifles are here to stay.

You get a lot more noise and flash from the barrel as you reduce the barrel length under what it is designed for. In the case of the 5.56mm, that is 18-20 inches.

The KAC PDW is essentially just a M16 where everything is optimized (especially the ammo) for firing from such a short barrel.
FlakJacket
Eh. So basically it's a Stoner LMG fitted with a suppressor, an M203 grenade launcher, the trigger and handle cut off, likewise the stock and weird carrying handle and chainsaw-esque handle/trigger installed instead? I know it was done as a joke and I suppose it's got something of a 'Hhmm, that's different' to it but I'll stick with the cut down FN Minimi thanks.
KarmaInferno
Needs to be arm mounted so you can be War Machine.

Though, technically, if you were War Machine you wouldn't need a special mount, because he can apparently now integrate any weapons and mechanical devices he wants into himself on the fly. Like being thrown through a fighter jet and coming out the other side of the explosion with one of the jet's engines and most of it's armament already integrated.

As intresting as the weapon in the OP is, you could never fire that thing hehe, I mean even with Laser sights or some new targeting system to fire from the hip, The recoil would hurt you, alot hehe.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 16 2009, 07:05 PM) *
Needs to be arm mounted so you can be War Machine.

Though, technically, if you were War Machine you wouldn't need a special mount, because he can apparently now integrate any weapons and mechanical devices he wants into himself on the fly. Like being thrown through a fighter jet and coming out the other side of the explosion with one of the jet's engines and most of it's armament already integrated.

sounds like nanotech magic to me wink.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Apr 16 2009, 09:23 PM) *
As intresting as the weapon in the OP is, you could never fire that thing hehe, I mean even with Laser sights or some new targeting system to fire from the hip, The recoil would hurt you, alot hehe.

not if you where a big orc, or a troll...

is ares getting its post-awakening portfolio ready already?
kzt
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Apr 16 2009, 01:23 PM) *

It sounds silly, but I've been told be guys who used MGs in combat that you can shoot effectively from the hip. I had a shooting instructor who talked about being able to bounce a pepsi can across a field shooting a chopped M60 from the hip at a range of up to 30-50 yards or so. He was a retired SEAL senior chief, so he probably could do this when he was working the Rung Sat.
CanRay
Back in WWII, the BAR had a "Hip Cup" to help with firing from the hip. Put the shoulder brace into the Hip Cup, and it helped you handle the recoil a bit.

And damn I'd have loved to see that Pepsi Can Dance!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012