Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BrainGate
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kesh
According to this Wired article a company is moving forward with technology that translates neural impulses from the brain into a computer control system.
Kagetenshi
The question is, is it ever going to be a consumer item.

~J
moosegod
Just wait for the Crash. Remember, ASIST was invented before the Crash and didn't catch on until the existing infrastructure was flattened.
Herald of Verjigorm
This has been a mild area of research for quite a while. Progress has been gradual, but will lead to a medically viable technology. After that comes industrial interest, mass production, and then consumer use.
Kagetenshi
I want that hole in my head now, dammit!
Ah well, I suppose I can wait until they work out the bugs.

~J
moosegod
AHHH!!!

BUGS! IN SHADOWRUN!!!

That'd be great/horrible. vegm.gif Depends on what side of the screen you're on.
Centurion
What Kag said...doubly so for things like an Encephalon or god help you, a misfiring Mr. Studd.
Kagetenshi
"So why did you break up?"
"He came too early."
"Can't you get special condoms to slow that down?"
"You don't understand. He came early, he came often, and he came HARD. I couldn't walk for days afterwards."

~J
Grey
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Ah well, I suppose I can wait until they work out the bugs.

~J

Oh come on, you know you want to be on the beta-test team! cyber.gif extinguish.gif
gknoy
QUOTE (Centurion)
What Kag said...doubly so for things like an Encephalon or god help you, a misfiring Mr. Studd.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

No kidding.

I'll wait on the brain implant until it's (a) tested adequately, and (b) can be used as a total replacement for my mouse and keyboard. =)

Ideally, it would be OS-independent, too, and not require a boatload of extra hardware... wink.gif (tho, that VHS-sized signal analyzer is probably necessary... *sigh*...)

I just hope it's soon. When people learn that this can prevent repetetive stress injuries, they will be ALL over it (heck, that's the main reason I want it!).
Phaeton
Heh. Datajacks nothing. I'm just waiting until I can install cyberblades into my elbows, wrists, fingers, back of my hand, shoulders, knees, heels, toes, wherever else is convenient, and then be the first to develop a cybernetics-oriented martial art. grinbig.gif
zephir
The day they have a fast (faster than typing speed) implant that also functions as a monitor I'm ready to pay someone to turn me into a quadriplegic.
fourstring_samurai
Heh. Datajacks nothing. I'm just waiting until I can install cyberblades into my elbows, wrists, fingers, back of my hand, shoulders, knees, heels, toes, wherever else is convenient, and then be the first to develop a cybernetics-oriented martial art. 

with that many sharp objects sticking off of you, you could freak-dance on somebody and they'd be ripped to shreds.
Centurion
I'm more concerned about what's going to happen when he tries to use toilet paper and/or scratch that itch.
LoseAsDirected
About 160,000 people in the United States have no use of their arms and legs, a market he believes to be worth about $2 billion.

That works out to about $12,500 a pop.. Yikes.
DV8
That's not a lot considering that this will most likely partly fall under an insurrance policy, especially when you consider that it helps people become a shite side more productive.
simonw2000
All hail CyberKinetics for making our dreams come true! Once a working version of simsense comes out, people'll be taking out a lot of loans!
simonw2000
QUOTE (Phaeton)
Heh. Datajacks nothing. I'm just waiting until I can install cyberblades into my elbows, wrists, fingers, back of my hand, shoulders, knees, heels, toes, wherever else is convenient, and then be the first to develop a cybernetics-oriented martial art. grinbig.gif

You forgot SMARTLINKS and Vehicle Control Rigs! biggrin.gif But it would be a right bugger going to the airport...
Logo
Pah, the only cyberware I'll be excited to see will be cyber replacements for human systems. The blind shall see, the deaf shall hear, and the megacorps shall raketh in the monetary units. Plus then you never worry about going blind, deaf, or losing limbs. Just buy a new one nyahnyah.gif
moosegod
Or just effective organlegging...
Phaeton
QUOTE (simonw2000)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ Jan 15 2004, 12:04 PM)

You forgot SMARTLINKS and Vehicle Control Rigs! biggrin.gif But it would be a right bugger going to the airport...

Guard: Sir, please remove any and all metal objects you may have...Keys, watches, stuff along tho---

Porcupine Street Sam: *SHING*

Guard: HOLY SHIT!!! *gets shredded*
Munchkinslayer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 14 2004, 06:00 PM)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012