Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best published adventures/campaigns ou there?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
silva
I was never too fond of published adventures. But nowadays I dont have the time to plan structured campaigns and such, sooo... what adventures you guys recommend and why?

What short adventures would you suggest?

How about long adventures/mini-campaigns?

And how about full fledged campaigns?

THanks!
Freejack
Missions. smile.gif

Carl
Dhaise
Missions was solid. I also enjoyed Harlequin, Celtic Doublecross, A Killing Glare was fun (and had a punch and judy reference!) and Super Tuesday. Bottled Demon was a guilty pleasure run.

Super Tuesday was probably my favorite to run as it had distinct stories and lots of twists and turns. Harlequin was a milk run until about the abduction, and despite being ran non consecuatively nearly wiped the entire team out,so it felt uneven in execution.

A lot of the Sourcebook/Springboard stuff was read by me, but I seldom ran it 'stock'. Too much 'it's unpossible-except this time for this story!' stuff for my tastes.
Larsine
Favorite adventure: Missing Blood from Universal Brotherhood. I still use this to break in new players, especially if they don't know the SR universe.

Favorite campaign: Harlequin, with my own short adventures in between. I have however only run this once.

Lars
FlakJacket
Whilst they're not exactly published, and assuming that Freejack meant the Missions sourcebook, you could try having a look at the Shadowrun Missions adventures. The first twenty-five can be downloaded from the main site for nothing.
Freejack
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 19 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Whilst they're not exactly published, and assuming that Freejack meant the Missions sourcebook, you could try having a look at the Shadowrun Missions adventures. The first twenty-five can be downloaded from the main site for nothing.

Yep, I meant the Denver missions specifically however even the Seattle one can be tweaked to work with 4th. I'm running my other group on it.

Carl
FlakJacket
Ah right, I thought you meant Missions the book. smile.gif
silva
Actually I was refering to the published adventures (Universal Brotherhood, Arcology Shutdown, Queen Euphoria, etc.).

But considering the free "Missions" available in the site, which ones you consider the best and why?
Mickle5125
Carnival by K. Nasser
Dumori
That is fun but I've yet to play it but reads like it will be fun.
Malachi
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 18 2009, 09:42 PM) *
What short adventures would you suggest?

Missing Blood (from Universal Brotherhood sourcebook) and Queen Euphoria are both great stand-alones that introduce bug spirits. They're great if your players have never encountered them before.

How about long adventures/mini-campaigns?

Brainscan, but that one only if you've done stuff with the old Renraku Arcology: Shutdown events. Survival of the Fittest is a great stand-alone adventure series if you want to introduce your players to the machinations of dragons.

And how about full fledged campaigns?

The newly released Ghost Cartels looks fabulous.
The Jake
One off: Missing Blood, Double Exposure
Mini campaign: Harlequin, Harlequin's Back, Brainscan. Harlequin's Back in particular is very, very different but Brainscan is my personal favorite.
Long campaign: Ghost Cartels, without a doubt. Very ambitious book this one.

- J.
Angelone
My favorite little adventure is the Food Fight scenario. I can't get enough of it.

Celetic Doublecross is a good one imo.
DNA/DOA, I think, might be getting it mixed up with another one.
Anything involving Drop Bears.
I also liked the book where you could be different things. The police, docwagon, or military. Easy to convert to runner teams. Is that Shadowrun Missions? My books are still being shipped so I can't go through them all.

Harley angers me.
Psikerlord
Celtic double cross was my fav
paws2sky
I'm a fan of the really investigation heavy adventures. You can drop combat and social legwork into any adventure, but coming up with a solid mystery is not easy. For example, I was flipping through Eyewitness the other night hoping to steal ideas and it really struck me how much happens before the runners are even introduced to the plot. Lots of pieces to try to piece together. Its convoluted, but it does actually makes some sense. I feel like I could run that adventure and the players would be be able to put the pieces together without being spoon fed.

The various incarnations of Food Fight are a great way to break new people into the combat system.

I've been fairly pleased with SRM Denver so far. After the first couple adventures, I realized I had to re-work the Hooks and dialogue significantly so it makes any sense for my group's PCs, but other than that, they're solid.

-paws
TBRMInsanity
I've run it a million times and every time it is just as good. The classic SR1 mission Queen Euphoria. Man I love the plot twists, the double crossing, the hideout, and of course playing for both side through out the mission. Even the ending is awesome.
fistandantilus4.0
One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Corporate Punishment. I've had a lot of fun with those over the years.

Ghost Cartels looks damn cool too, although I haven't had a chance to run it yet.

Another fun one that has a bit of railroading, but is still a lot of fun if ran well is Paradise Lost. It's a great little one shot.
Malachi
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Apr 21 2009, 01:26 PM) *
One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Corporate Punishment. I've had a lot of fun with those over the years.

I have that one and they are, without a doubt, the most difficult published adventures I have ever seen.
Method
I always liked Eye Witness. Good cyberpunk take on the old murder mystery theme...

Dhaise
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 21 2009, 08:48 PM) *
I always liked Eye Witness. Good cyberpunk take on the old murder mystery theme...

Eyewitness had a great 'outline' for non linear adventure design. My players had fun with it. I asked some of my older gaming group what their favorites were and I was kind of suprised. Dreamchipper and Bottled Demon were their favorites mentioned, which kind of suprised me given how much they usually hate anything that smells like railroading.
Method
I agree. Thats one of the reasons why Eye Witness really stands out for me. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to design a good non-linear adventure. It occured to me that it must be exceptionally difficult to design one for publication where you lack the flexibility to really change things on the fly.
Dhaise
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 22 2009, 12:00 AM) *
I agree. Thats one of the reasons why Eye Witness really stands out for me. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to design a good non-linear adventure. It occured to me that it must be exceptionally difficult to design one for publication where you lack the flexibility to really change things on the fly.

I haven't ran it yet, but Ghost Cartels reads fantastic as a non linear campaign. The objectives require investigation, role playing and combat so there's a little something for everyone, and it's one of the few prepublished adventures that don't automatically devolve into 'go to meet,get objective,get screwed,have a shoot out, get paid". Depending on how it ends up playing, this might be the thing to bump super tuesday off my most revered list.
wylie
the 1st ED stuff is good
had a player get her character's hair streaked white with Bottled Demon

Harlequin is good

i have started running Ghost Cartels, the 1st story arc anyway, and so far the players are enjoying it.
i have find it interesting that by the end, characters may not be where they think they should be
and my players have encountered one of the plot twists, but don't realize it , yet. Lucky for the group's hand to hand expert, i downed played the twist and he lived to talk about it. The rigger wasn't happy about the fist sized dent in his van though

because I have thrown in some stuff, my players have gone a slightly different route from most groups playing Ghost Cartels.

On the Run is ok, as way to get a group together
DNA/DOA could be an another good starting point, as the players are forced to use what they brought with them. It would need to be updated for SR4A rules, though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012