Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Few Questions on SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KX082
So I have an Adept in 4th edition and there are a few thing that I have ran into that that I can't seem to answer.

Issue 1: Crazy Language issue
This deals with the combination of the qualities Analytical Mind, Linguistics, and the adept power of Linguistics. I figure the quility drops the time to learn a language from exposore with the adept power in half, and then modifies the rating by +2. Is this an actual rating bonus of +2 (meaning to raise it I buy it at 4) or is it a dice pool modifier (meaning the next level I buy it at 2). Also does Analytical Mind come into play when you roll to learn the language?

How does learning a spoken code play out? Currently my group is watching a few groups that speak in code using Spanish as the base. My character learned Spanish with the adept power and the Quality, though I am unsure how to handle the learning the coded transmissions from them. I was originally thinking it was a language role with the +2 dice for Analytical Mind, though another player thinks it is the same thing as learning a language and defiantly with the +2 for Analytical Mind.

Issue 2: Dual Wielding Melee weapons
I haven't had to use this yet and honestly I have no idea how this all plays out. He dual wields kodachi (Short Swords) and has improved Blades of 2 and personalized handles on each. His agility is 5 and his base blades is 4. I know that he gets 1 die for the first attack and 2 for the second as a bonus for dual wielding melee weapons.

So with that is the Dice pool I am splitting 9 or 11.
Also what does the defender have since melee combat is an open test going to the winner, or am I thinking 3rd and need to reread the 4th edition melee roles?

Professeur
Your DP in dual-wielding is as follow :
BASE DP: Attribute + Skill + Skill Mods
Agility 5 + Blades 4 + Improved Blades 2
This is what you split, 11 dice, you can split it whatever way you want. Then you get the following bonuses to BOTH pools:
+1 Personalized Handles. If you have specializations or weapon focus, they are dice pool bonuses and thus are added to BOTH pools also.

Hope that helps
Draco18s
QUOTE (Professeur @ Apr 19 2009, 04:05 PM) *
Your DP in dual-wielding is as follow :
BASE DP: Attribute + Skill + Skill Mods
Agility 5 + Blades 4 + Improved Blades 2
This is what you split, 11 dice, you can split it whatever way you want. Then you get the following bonuses to BOTH pools:
+1 Personalized Handles. If you have specializations or weapon focus, they are dice pool bonuses and thus are added to BOTH pools also.

And specialization (after the split).
Windling
Issue #1.

Do the code speakers have a special "language skill" and they are using that to communicate or are you having them roll an active skill to decode each communication? You'll pretty much answer most of your conflict in how you are handling the NPC's communication. (Depending on how a code language is constructed and used both routes can be be valid approaches.)

As for the +2 from Linguistics: I think the odd language comes from wanting to treat it like a dice pool modifier but also allow it to be used for the purposes of social tests, which are normally capped by your ability to communicate. (My opinion on why the rule wording is a little odd, not really an official answer.)
KX082
Ok so that does follow what I was thinking, though now what happens to the defender, is he froced to split his pool as well and then does he get the +1 dice for "Defender taken multiple melee attacks" or is he forced to do his whole pool in one attack?
KX082
QUOTE (Windling @ Apr 19 2009, 08:54 PM) *
Issue #1.

Do the code speakers have a special "language skill" and they are using that to communicate or are you having them roll an active skill to decode each communication? You'll pretty much answer most of your conflict in how you are handling the NPC's communication. (Depending on how a code language is constructed and used both routes can be be valid approaches.)

As for the +2 from Linguistics: I think the odd language comes from wanting to treat it like a dice pool modifier but also allow it to be used for the purposes of social tests, which are normally capped by your ability to communicate. (My opinion on why the rule wording is a little odd, not really an official answer.)

They are using Spanish but they have changed the meaning of the words for their code. So it wold be a redistricted use language if it is counted as a language at all.
Draco18s
QUOTE (KX082 @ Apr 19 2009, 04:57 PM) *
Ok so that does follow what I was thinking, though now what happens to the defender, is he froced to split his pool as well and then does he get the +1 dice for "Defender taken multiple melee attacks" or is he forced to do his whole pool in one attack?

He defends twice. First attack he makes at his full defense pool, the second at a -1 penalty for already dodging this pass.
Windling
QUOTE (KX082 @ Apr 19 2009, 03:01 PM) *
They are using Spanish but they have changed the meaning of the words for their code. So it wold be a redistricted use language if it is counted as a language at all.

It sounds to me that from the way you're wanting it to be done the player first would learn spanish and then need to succeed at a spanish test to see how well he understands the conversation (You should make this roll...you'll see why). Now you need to decide how the code works. Is it hidden within normal communication so it sounds reasonable in both spanish and code or is it a flat replacement where you can have sentences from "Orange cheese round tree up dog city hat." to "The sun comes down from georgia on the eve of winter". Depending on the player's net hits, you will give him/her the appropriate interpritation of the conversation. If the player doesn't do well with the language roll, they won't have much of a chance to find the code. Conversly, if they do well on that roll they might fear that they glitched! Realisticaly, the player should also be exposed to the code for some time unless they have some idea of what the conversation is about to crack it. (For example knowing the scheme the two are likely discussing.) Cracking it would be a test that would involve their analytic ability.

SHORT ANSWER:

1. Learns Spanish
2. GM makes a language test roll for the player
3. GM gives player their understanding of the conversation
4. Player might try to decode, analytics applys; positive or negative situation modifiers can apply b/c of spanish test

As a side not though, you'll likely have an easier time if you just treat these kings of things as their own languages. (When it's applicable.)
KX082
QUOTE (Windling @ Apr 20 2009, 03:49 AM) *
It sounds to me that from the way you're wanting it to be done the player first would learn spanish and then need to succeed at a spanish test to see how well he understands the conversation (You should make this roll...you'll see why). Now you need to decide how the code works. Is it hidden within normal communication so it sounds reasonable in both spanish and code or is it a flat replacement where you can have sentences from "Orange cheese round tree up dog city hat." to "The sun comes down from georgia on the eve of winter". Depending on the player's net hits, you will give him/her the appropriate interpritation of the conversation. If the player doesn't do well with the language roll, they won't have much of a chance to find the code. Conversly, if they do well on that roll they might fear that they glitched! Realisticaly, the player should also be exposed to the code for some time unless they have some idea of what the conversation is about to crack it. (For example knowing the scheme the two are likely discussing.) Cracking it would be a test that would involve their analytic ability.

SHORT ANSWER:

1. Learns Spanish
2. GM makes a language test roll for the player
3. GM gives player their understanding of the conversation
4. Player might try to decode, analytics applys; positive or negative situation modifiers can apply b/c of spanish test

As a side not though, you'll likely have an easier time if you just treat these kings of things as their own languages. (When it's applicable.)

Ok so that makes me feel better since that is how we handled it, then there was the idea of it being it's own language brought up, though I was slightly against that idea though it would be nice since then I would have had a few more dice. Thanks for the help everyone.

It also looks like I read the combat rules wrong and should have taken the time to read the whole chapter and not just skim it thinking it would be the same as version 3. Looks like my group has been doing combat wrong for the most part too sadly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012