Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: African Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Inane Imp
I'm trying to write the background for a Mercenary Shapeshifter from the Veldt and am finding it difficult to find background information except for some stuff about Cape Town (in Runner's havens) and Mujaji (Runner's Havens and Dragons of the Sixth World) but there isn't much else. Which whilst useful, doesn't give much on the other players outside of what used to be South Africa.
Any help would be appreciated.
Imp
Demonseed Elite
There isn't a whole lot to be found. Africa has never been covered in depth. The Ivory Coast is covered in Cyberpirates (as well as in Feral Cities), but that's not really what you're looking for.

Here's a non-canon map of Africa from the SR Wiki.
TBRMInsanity
I do believe there is a little about Egypt in Shadows of Asia as well. I think Africa is pretty much the same as it has been for thousands of years. Tribes do war on each other, disease is rapid, and only a few stable countries exists (the biggest sub-Sahara ones being Asamando (the Ghoul nation), and Azania) .
mog
I've created an alternate background for Azanian Alliance, but i'm not very proud of it.

But for help, you have Runners havens for Cape Town, and in Feral cities you have few lines on Azanian Alliance.
Inane Imp
So pretty much, so long as life remains nasty, brutish and short and steer clear of international/interdragon politics anything I have a tabular rasa. Nice, and annoying at the same time.
Cheers for the help.
Imp
martindv
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Apr 22 2009, 10:49 AM) *
I do believe there is a little about Egypt in Shadows of Asia as well. I think Africa is pretty much the same as it has been for thousands of years. Tribes do war on each other, disease is rapid, and only a few stable countries exists (the biggest sub-Sahara ones being Asamando (the Ghoul nation), and Azania) .

Yes, I do love how Shadowrun has continued to propogate stereotypes and racism about, really, ONLY Africa. That's awesome.
Fuchs
Basically, take current Africa, and make it worse - a method used for many SR regions.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (martindv @ Apr 23 2009, 01:14 AM) *
Yes, I do love how Shadowrun has continued to propogate stereotypes and racism about, really, ONLY Africa. That's awesome.

Only Africa? Really?

Basically, take current Africa, and make it worse - a method used for many SR regions.

That's a bit closer to accuracy.
TBRMInsanity
The general vibe I got from Africa is one of the great wilderness where you are no longer the top predator. A similar vibe with the Amazon, Oceania, the back country of Australia, and Siberia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012