http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090418/ap_on_...d_shot_survivor

Perhaps ...
DoomFrog
You think that is crazy, google "2 mile fall."

Now that is burning some edge.....
Adarael
Goddamit, Wounded Ronin. smile.gif
martindv
"You just don't hear of something like this. Somebody gets shot in the head and they're dead," Byrd said.

It's not that big a deal, and shouldn't be in 2072 because quite frankly very few small-caliber head shots kill immediately. A decent medkit should be able to prevent the trauma from causing death from esanguination and having brain matter ooze out. This is why if you want to kill someone, be sure the use hollowpoints. Besides using a bitch caliber, he was loading a round that isn't going to cause a great deal of trauma beyond carving a .380 diameter hole through the head.

Of course, if you're Kurt Cobain and blow out the back of your skull and destroy everything between the barrel and said skull, then you're fucked.
Muspellsheimr
This happens surprisingly regularly - although still fairly rare.

Small calibers, & sometimes larger calibers, will deflect off the skull, leaving the target injured (likely with a concussion or unconscious) but otherwise not permanently damaged. Because of this tendency, it is far more reliable to aim for the heart or other 'instantly' debilitating area.

Sometimes, the bullet will even hit the forehead, exit from the back of the head, & leave the brain undamaged (it travels between the scalp & skull).

I would also like to point out I didn't bother reading the article, so I do not know the details of this case.
bloodychill
QUOTE (martindv @ Apr 22 2009, 11:05 PM) *
This is why if you want to kill someone, be sure the use hollowpoints.

I'll be sure to remember that the next time I'm killing someone.
Starmage21
Its not terribly rare for someone to survive a head shot, especially from pistols. This is why gangsters shoot people in the head twice.
Apathy
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Apr 23 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Its not terribly rare for someone to survive a head shot, especially from pistols. This is why gangsters shoot people in the head twice.

I thought it was because they hold their guns sideways like stupid posers, and probably missed the first time.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Apathy @ Apr 23 2009, 04:50 PM) *
I thought it was because they hold their guns sideways like stupid posers, and probably missed the first time.

No, that's why they have to shoot three times. The second and third hit, the third makes sure that they're dead.
Shinobi Killfist
In a related story. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8015242.stm

Blade
This remind me of this documentary about a former mafia hitman. He was explaining that most hitmen were caught because one of their victim survived and was able to identify them. To prevent this, he always made sure his victims were dead by shooting twice in their head at point blank range.

How did he get caught then? One of his victim survived.
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (martindv @ Apr 22 2009, 11:05 PM) *
Of course, if you're Kurt Cobain and blow out the back of your skull and destroy everything between the barrel and said skull, then you're fucked.

Courtney Love killed him. spin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Apr 24 2009, 10:47 AM) *
Courtney Love killed him. spin.gif

And look at what they just released. nyahnyah.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 24 2009, 04:21 AM) *
This remind me of this documentary about a former mafia hitman. He was explaining that most hitmen were caught because one of their victim survived and was able to identify them. To prevent this, he always made sure his victims were dead by shooting twice in their head at point blank range.

How did he get caught then? One of his victim survived.

I guess you have to scream THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE and actually cut the head off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012