Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you deal with capture / imprisonment?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Murrdox
Since Shadowrunners are barely citizens, and are usually doing illegal activities, obviously they are frequently running afoul of "the law". How do other GMs deal with this in their games if the PCs get caught?

I had a situation in our game recently where a long car chase resulted in one car being blown up, the other car (owned by the players) wrecked on the side of the road. Of course a few explosions and a car chase with guns is going to attract Lone Star.

One of the Shadowrunners is a SINner, and he was the one who owned the car. He decided to stay behind and talk to Lone Star, and claim that he gave a stranger a ride, and was then chased by another car who was trying to kill his passenger.

Lone Star showed up, and then I basically had them scan his SIN and take him into custody.

I put the player through a few interrogations. Fortunately this character was the Face of the group, and had great charisma scores. He managed to concoct a reasonable explanation for MOST of the car chase, explosions, etc, and shift blame off of himself.

The player then called in a favor from a Connection 4 Loyalty 4 contact (His brother, a VP in a large mega-corp) and got the family's lawyer to intervene. In the end, I had the character pay a chunk of Nuyen to the lawyer to get most of the charges reduced or eliminated. Now he's also got a criminal SIN, since he was caught with an unlicensed weapon.

If your characters are in a situation where Lone Star is clearly getting the better of them, how do you deal with it? What if the character in my example had failed all his charisma rolls, and was imprisoned? Lone Star isn't really the same as the Police, and I know bribes are a good answer, but I just want to see how other GMs would deal with this, or have dealt with it in the past.
LamplightSlasher
I'd rule that on a truly botched session, the PC would end up behind bars. My own players are encouraged to make more than one character and keep the spares ready to play. This way when a PC wants to spend 6 months in the woods learning some wizzer new spells, or another gets tossed in prison (or killed)... then they have another character available to start playing again. If the characters were ALL going to end up in jail, I might change the campaign focus and consider running the sessions from inside prison, whereas if only one or two went in for a long time, I'd get them to pull one of their secondary characters and carry on until their original PC is available again. If the players don't have any of their own characters, then they can use one of my many NPCs, perhaps even one of their own contacts. If I was feeling especially creative, I might spend time with the player, building a new character that could be used as a villain that has infiltrated the group.
Caadium
I would laugh maniacally and play it by ear. My players would cringe and then have some fun. Sorry, it'd be based on all sorts of things so I can't give more details.
TBRMInsanity
As non-citizens they would not be entitled to the same freedoms that citizens are entitled to. That means the ONLY thing that Lone Star (or any law enforcement) is entitled to do is provide the basic freedoms given to POWs:
* Feed at least once a day
* Equal or lesser force applied to them (the more you resist the more Lone Star is going to love it devil.gif )
* Not to be hindered from biological processes (ie allowed to go to the bathroom)

They can be held indefinitely without a trial, they can be transfered from Lone Star to the military to a proper POW camp, they can even be executed by the military without a trial as a spy. I would guess that the only way out of this sort of situation would be to cooperate as much as possible with Lone Star and grease their palms with some nuyen.gif every chance you get. They may let you go as it will be less paperwork.
Dhaise
It depends:
A) If they are caught/arrested by Lone Star
- In my game, it doesn't pay for Lone Star to keep SINless 'out of the system'.If they didn't have a SIN, they got one now so Lone Stars quarterlies can reflect the 'accurate demographics'. If it's just a matter of 'wrong place,wrong time' or misdemeanors, they get fined at the very least. If they are running around packing heat at the same time 'somebody' turned downtown into a DMZ, they're probably going to jail. If cops died during the incident, they also probably 'resisted arrest'. If they get stopped by Elliot Ness, their face is all over the news. If they got pinched by Vic Mackey and his strike team, they are losing anything expensive they might be carrying.

B) If they are Shadowrunners captured during the course of the job on extraterritorial property.
- Depending on circumstances, they are probably sitting in a holding/detainment cell somewhere. Bargains might be struck for information,or they may end up assaulted and tossed back onto Seattle turf. 'Corp imprisonment' occurs in my games if they fudged up something really sensitive. Attitude plays a factor, a professional mercenary cooling his heels without divulging anything may end up released when the flashy 'I have a warhawk and a smart mouth lol' street sam trying to cowboy up in the detention center ends up beaten up. The Star will probably not even factor into it except as 'damn, I wish we had been busted by lone star instead of Mitsuhama'.

Most of my players characters aren't SINless. The ones that are use forged SINS anyways which do the same exact thing as legit one.
suppenhuhn
I throw em all into a prison colony owned by the mega that happened to catch them where they can redeem their sins until they drop dead.
Trying to escape a prison with a very high background count and deactivated cyberware can make for a really nice campaign setting imo.
Murrdox
Most of my players characters aren't SINless. The ones that are use forged SINS anyways which do the same exact thing as legit one.

Unless Lone Star does a scan and discovers they're using fake SINs?
Dhaise
'Hosed' and 'More Hosed' aren't really seperate at that point anymore. .They're already caught,so the circumstances really dictate their fate. Somebody trying to use a fake SIN who was picked up for blowing a red light isn't going to get more then a cursory fine and the SIN probably flagged as bogus. Somebody with bogus papers packing around illegal weapons and ware a block away from the gunfight at the OK Corral is going to get surgically implanted into that jail cell.If somebody's Jack the ripper,and they come up SINless, it probably means the Star just has less paperwork to fill out after geeking them,so sometimes a suspect being sinless is actually a benefit to the star (see also:patsy). Likewise, I'm sure there are plenty of Star officers insisting to IA that 'the scan said 'Unable to locate SIN blahblahblah'and it looked like he was drawing his gun,so I opened fire and reloaded 4 times- I solved the local mugging epidemic'. Fake SINS with no criminal history and bogus citizen credentials (if undiscovered) entitle the star to do exactly what they would to bearers of that legit SIN- imprisonment as required, extradition requests, fine assessment. And for people with no SIN on record, Lone Star isn't shy about issuing them one so they are part of the system again. In my game, fake SINS don't mean nobody can stand the thought of legally dealing with you, they mean everybody so inclined can touch you eventually- and the more you use a fake sin,the more functional it actually is. All it takes is a peice of DNA or visual image of someone using a bunk SIN, and you're just as traceable. Travel plans, vehicle rentals, hospital stays, vaccinations, check point passes,account wires and so forth.

In games I played in, LS was often treated as 'faceless reinforcements' when a run was easier then the gm planned. 'oh,a silent alarm was tripped,someone spotted your pistol-here comes LS'. In games I run, I go for anal retentive and context related details ;my players are paranoid that end of the month lone star quotas will get them fined or busted for nuisance stops,so they plan accordingly. Fake SINS aren't something you buy at character creation and use indefinately. It's more bookkeeping,but my group really gets into it.
Adarael
In a nutshell, I don't. A grand total of once has any of my players been caught by the cops, and that was for threatening a humanis policlub bar owner with a handgun. He bribed the cops something like 2500 nuyen to let him go, and they did - one of the arresting cops was an ork.

Beyond that, I don't think my players have ever been arrested. I was running the Ghost Cartels section in neo-tokyo, which basically suggests the PCs HAVE to get arrested at one point. Cool, I thought, and imagined that scene in Akira where all the bosozoku are being yelled at the cops but are totally nonplussed by it.

Instead, they killed the cops. And I put like, a good 40 cops and 10 drones on the scene. They killed the 20 on that side of the house and left.
I swear to you, now and forever: full autofire is the great equalizer.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Adarael @ Apr 23 2009, 04:11 PM) *
In a nutshell, I don't. A grand total of once has any of my players been caught by the cops, and that was for threatening a humanis policlub bar owner with a handgun. He bribed the cops something like 2500 nuyen to let him go, and they did - one of the arresting cops was an ork.

Beyond that, I don't think my players have ever been arrested. I was running the Ghost Cartels section in neo-tokyo, which basically suggests the PCs HAVE to get arrested at one point. Cool, I thought, and imagined that scene in Akira where all the bosozoku are being yelled at the cops but are totally nonplussed by it.

Instead, they killed the cops. And I put like, a good 40 cops and 10 drones on the scene. They killed the 20 on that side of the house and left.
I swear to you, now and forever: full autofire is the great equalizer.

Yes... Yes it is...
Adarael
It was actually pretty fun. I wanted them to be captured, sure, but I have the philosophy that things are more fun when the players drive and you don't force outcomes.

I was pretty impressed by their raw, brutal efficiency in killing people:
- The PC driver drove out of the parking garage with something like 9 successes on his accelleration test, and rammed the SWAT van, totalling both cars.
- The two mercenaries jumped out the back of their van and each killed 4 cops with full autofire getting walked from target to target.
- The kung-fu physad kicked three cops to death by splitting his dice pool. He doesn't need many net successes to do that, though, since he's a physad AND has augmentations.
-The mage has her on-standby invoked spirit use confusion on all the cops that are nearby.
-The gunslinger adept, packing heavy pistols with AV & APDS rounds aims at the Citymaster type APC, calls a shot to bypass armor and hit the gunner of the water cannon, and one shot later the citymaster has no gunner. Another shot later, it has no driver, either.

Then there were a few more killings.

It was like, "Dude. You guys just wasted 20 people in 1.5 combat turns. That's like... 5 seconds. Ow."
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Adarael @ Apr 23 2009, 06:23 PM) *
<snip assorted carnage descriptions>
It was like, "Dude. You guys just wasted 20 people in 1.5 combat turns. That's like... 5 seconds. Ow."

I'm surprised this issue didn't come up earlier in the thread, along with the related issue of how most gaming groups react to the prospect of capture. My experience is that the players will have their characters do just about anything to avoid capture. For them, capture = defeat. It's easier to handle in games like SR where law enforcement isn't *necessarily* going to just kill the prisoners out of hand. My tactic is to give the characters plenty of outs so that they don't feel like they need to waste a couple dozen cops. The example above involves runners not on their home turf, which means they have a better chance of getting away with that sort of slaughter, but do that a few times in your home turf and what do you think happens to your street reputation? What do you think the realistic public response in Seattle would be to twenty cops getting gunned down in one incident? I realize the SR setting relies heavily on the powers that be deciding shadowrunners are often useful and too much trouble to stamp out. Just how many cops have to get gunned down before a public/political outcry necessitates a 'culling' of the shadow community.

All that said, it's not like this is a terrible thing. I see plenty of interesting story possibilities involving a crackdown in the group's home metroplex. Consequences almost always make for more interesting stories than no consequences.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Apr 23 2009, 06:02 PM) *
I'm surprised this issue didn't come up earlier in the thread, along with the related issue of how most gaming groups react to the prospect of capture. My experience is that the players will have their characters do just about anything to avoid capture. For them, capture = defeat. It's easier to handle in games like SR where law enforcement isn't *necessarily* going to just kill the prisoners out of hand. My tactic is to give the characters plenty of outs so that they don't feel like they need to waste a couple dozen cops. The example above involves runners not on their home turf, which means they have a better chance of getting away with that sort of slaughter, but do that a few times in your home turf and what do you think happens to your street reputation? What do you think the realistic public response in Seattle would be to twenty cops getting gunned down in one incident? I realize the SR setting relies heavily on the powers that be deciding shadowrunners are often useful and too much trouble to stamp out. Just how many cops have to get gunned down before a public/political outcry necessitates a 'culling' of the shadow community.

All that said, it's not like this is a terrible thing. I see plenty of interesting story possibilities involving a crackdown in the group's home metroplex. Consequences almost always make for more interesting stories than no consequences.

Consequences is what makes the game interesting and fun...
The Jake
QUOTE (Murrdox @ Apr 23 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Since Shadowrunners are barely citizens, and are usually doing illegal activities, obviously they are frequently running afoul of "the law". How do other GMs deal with this in their games if the PCs get caught?

I had a situation in our game recently where a long car chase resulted in one car being blown up, the other car (owned by the players) wrecked on the side of the road. Of course a few explosions and a car chase with guns is going to attract Lone Star.

One of the Shadowrunners is a SINner, and he was the one who owned the car. He decided to stay behind and talk to Lone Star, and claim that he gave a stranger a ride, and was then chased by another car who was trying to kill his passenger.

Lone Star showed up, and then I basically had them scan his SIN and take him into custody.

I put the player through a few interrogations. Fortunately this character was the Face of the group, and had great charisma scores. He managed to concoct a reasonable explanation for MOST of the car chase, explosions, etc, and shift blame off of himself.

The player then called in a favor from a Connection 4 Loyalty 4 contact (His brother, a VP in a large mega-corp) and got the family's lawyer to intervene. In the end, I had the character pay a chunk of Nuyen to the lawyer to get most of the charges reduced or eliminated. Now he's also got a criminal SIN, since he was caught with an unlicensed weapon.

If your characters are in a situation where Lone Star is clearly getting the better of them, how do you deal with it? What if the character in my example had failed all his charisma rolls, and was imprisoned? Lone Star isn't really the same as the Police, and I know bribes are a good answer, but I just want to see how other GMs would deal with this, or have dealt with it in the past.

I think you handled that really well being honest.

If it was anyone else, they would have been rather unceremoneously 'introduced' to the pile of phone books sitting in the corner, tossed into a cell and the key thrown away. You next session would have been the PCs probably wondering if they can stage a jail break or said player rolling up a new one.

Hopefully this sends a strong message to your other PCs not to fuck with the law.

- J.
The Jake
QUOTE (Murrdox @ Apr 23 2009, 03:49 PM) *

I think you handled that really well being honest.

If it was anyone else, they would have been rather unceremoneously 'introduced' to the pile of phone books sitting in the corner, tossed into a cell and the key thrown away. You next session would have been the PCs probably wondering if they can stage a jail break or said player rolling up a new character.

Hopefully this sends a strong message to your other PCs not to fuck with the law.

- J.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Murrdox @ Apr 23 2009, 10:49 AM) *

Oh, you know, torture and humiliation. Seriously.

Actually, once as a GM there was a PC, an elf, who had been arrested by the Star, since the PC had been basically abandoned while unconscious at the scene of a crime. The star, needing to show some success in solving the crime, had a media circus with the elf, and the elf became portrayed as something of a public enemy. This became the basis of a later campaign where the Humanis Policlub actually raided the prison and extracted the elf so that they could torture her to death in an abandoned warehouse on a matrix feed. The player characters then had to raid the warehouse during the snuff feed to rescue the elf. I think at the time the HP guys had chained the elf to a column in the warehouse and were starting to tar (as in tar and feather) the elf, which was when the other PCs commenced their attack.

EDIT: Another time, a PC had been captured by organized crime. I decided as the GM that the best way to make that suck while at the same time keeping everyone engaged in the campaign was that the next time people from the syndicate made an attack on the other player characters they were using the hostage PC as human cover. Any missed attacks had a chance of hitting the hostage who could only roll Body to resist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012