Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Grasping Vapors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Shadow
The repairs run along smoothly. Miri makes herself useful fetching tools and equipment, she seems to have an odd grasp of what you need as your asking for it. Three and a half hours later the Bison is as good as new.
grendel
Despite having worn canvas work gloves throughout the entire evolution, Grendel takes extra care in going over the vehicle bay and removing any trace evidence that they were there. Once complete, he backs the Bison down into the parking lot. All systems check green across the board once again, drive train integrity back up in the ninety seven percent range where it should be.

"Mount up, people, we're back in business."

As Delacroix and Sharpe reclaim their seats, the elf breaks out an industrial chem wipe and uses it to clean the grease stains from his face and arms. He hands another one to Miri, who somehow managed to get twice as dirty while doing half the work. Strapping in to the command couch again, he points the Bison back on the road. Ahead and above, the Condor slips silently through the sky, the unblinking eyes of its sensor package relaying a continuous feed through the network to his vision.
Jr. Woodchuck
After observeing the pictures of both the light and dark sides of Delacroix, the elf is overwhelmed by curiosity. Delacroix stares deep into the soul of Miri, his eyes fade away becoming black orbs with clouds of purple deep inside.

The elf begins to examine her aura. "This girl has a gift," thinks the elf. Its time to find out what makes our package so special.
Shadow
At first her astral looks mundane like so many others the elf has seen before. But as he looks deeper, he starts to get drawn into something. A swirling cloud of color that hides behind the mundane facade. She is definitely awakened.
Shadow
Cal-Free State.

Something in the 5th world change on a daily basis. Others never change. Pollution, smog and a false sense of 'clean' stick to the country side like a pair of dirty socks. Once lush green cattle land is now used to grow soy beans. Soy beans as far as the eye can see, broken up by the occasional automated processing plant.

The trip through Stockton is unremarkable and quiet. Sharpe sleeps most of the way, occasionally opening an eye to make sure Miri is still breathing. The girl herself stays near the Elven Rigger. As the big RV nears it's destination her mood grows darker and more distant.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix weaves the threads of magic and creates a link between himself and Grendel. The erie voice of Delacroix can be heard in Grendels head. "I have some information on our little friend here. I always suspected that there was something special with her. Well she is a very special little girl indeed she is awakened, in fact her potency is quite high. If properly trained she could control magic more powerful then I could."

"Her drawings are a conduit for her ability to "inately" pickup imagery from our past, and our emotions. She simply is using various types of spells to probe our minds, though she is most likely unaware that she is doing it. Perhaps the fact that she has these weird images, is what scares her and keeps her from speaking. She most definitely knows that i'm "different" then you or Sharpe."

"Being infected leaves certain traces on my aura, and when she targets me or reads my emotions subconciously she probably can pickup on the fact that i'm changed and different."

The elf pauses, "I thought you would like to know..."
grendel
"Interesting. Of course this begs the question about what she's doing with Zoe and where, eventually, she's headed in Cal Free. Who do you think would be interested in a child with her powers?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"Well considering 1% of the population is awakened, and then only 1% of that is what we would call a "Mage or Shaman. ...and then a small percentage of that is able to harness the power that she can. I'd say lots of people."

"She's young, obviously very impressionable, and ripe for the picking. You know my astral signature changed, once I became infected. I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine this, but she may be "enhanced" like I have."

"Regardless of what she is or can do. Her abilities are really remarkeable."

"How long till we get there? Maybe I can do some research." Delacroix begins to look around, "With all this tech packed into this tank, do you have matrix access and a display?"
grendel
"ETA to Sacramento is ten hours fourteen minutes forty four seconds."

In response to Delacroix's other question, the display screen in front of his seat switches from its standby pearlescent gray to an active blue. A small touchpad slides out from beneath it, along with a datajack port. Grendel opens up the top electronics rack, deploying the Bison's satellite comm dish. The tracking algorithms interface with the vehicle's on-board GPS, determining position, heading, and satellite horizon. Ninety seconds later, the display shifts from blue to the white on green welcome screen of PacRim Comm's Satellite User Services.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix's response is heard in Grendels head, "Woah Wiz!"

"Can you make a soy burger with chesse as well?", the elf smirks.

Delacroix begins reserach on the terminal.
grendel
"I could, but you would most likely find it unpalatable."
Shadow
Delacroix's computer search doesn't turn up much. However, one name does come up over and over again. Dr. Michael Turner P.H.D. A well known philanthropist in CalFree who is a activist for more research to be done on the awakened. He feels that all should be known that can be known about them. He faced some legal allegations the year before. His clinic was shut down and his equipment seized when it was discovered that he was doing autopsies, with out concent of next of kin, on deceased awaked individuals.
Jr. Woodchuck
"OMG, grendel listen to this," the words echo'd in the elfs brain.

"Dr. Michael Turner P.H.D., well known philanthropist in CalFree and activist for the awakened, was arrested today. Dr. Turner was found to be doing illegal autopsies. The next of kin were never consulted on the autopsies."

"Can you imagine your brother's body being desecrated by a doctor who wants to learn more just because he was a magic user?"

"Unfortunately besides that I haven't been able to find much of anything."
grendel
"Interesting. I suppose, then, it's a good thing I don't have a brother."
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix lets a chuckle escape his lips, and then resumes his emotionless demeanor.
Shadow
With less then four hours to go till the group arrives in Sacramento Miri has become downright despondent. She has placed herself in the rear of the vehicle and has her arms wrapped around her. She is squeezing her eyes shut as hard as she can.
grendel
"Think she knows something we don't?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"Honestly I dont know. She has an ability that she hasn't focused yet. I think if she knows something its important we reach out. I think i'm finally ready to connect to her like I do to you," the last words echo a bit in Grendels head as the mage stands up and makes his way back to car.

"I'll be ending our communication so I can focus completely on her," the spell ends.

Delacroix sits down next to Miri, "Miri, I know you dont talk, but I have a way that I can talk to you by thought. It may be scary at first but dont worry it wont hurt, and it can be alot of fun to!"

The elf smiles and begins the spell.
Shadow
Delacroix reaches out with the spell to touch the young girls mind. She looks up at the first contact and scowls. Pain lances through the elven mages mind. Something is wrong. Blackness creeps into his vision, darkness cover him. Then oblivion.

@ Grendel,

Delacroix seems to be sitting across from the girl, there is no indication that there is anything wrong.
Shadow
The blinding light beets upon your face like a hammer. Your eyes slowly open and see what your ears have already told you. Your on a beach. A warm sunny beach, with the water lapping at your toes. Miri is a few feet away building a sand castle, and singing softly to herself.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix approaches Miri, listening to the song intently. Miri, "Where are we?"
Shadow
She looks different here. A little younger, her hairs is a little longer. She doesn't seem to hear you as you speak. She suddenly jumps up and turns. She yells, "Mooooom!" And runs off. She seems scarred. Up ahead of her is a parking lot, it is mostly empty. One car is an obvious family car, the other corporate.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix follows the young Miri.
Shadow
There is a couple in the parking lot. Miri is obviously their daughter. Two men are getting out of the car, black suits, red ties. They look Japanese. Miri screams at her parents, but instead of acting like warning, it is a distraction.

The gunshots are loud and shocking as they are brutal. Her father and mothers are both hit several times and tumble lifelessly to the ground. Miri screams as loud as she can as she runs to her parents side. The men get in their car and leave. Miri is left on the ground with her family sobbing.
Jr. Woodchuck
Walking up to Miri, Delacroix puts his hand on her shoulder. The elf asks, "Do you know who those men are?"
Shadow
The little girl with the big eyes looks up at the mage.

"Why are you here?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"My name is Delacroix, and i'm here to help. What is your name?" The elf smiles.
Shadow
"No," she says.

"Why are you here?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"Miri, do you recognize me?"
Shadow
"You are Talik Bloodwood aka Delacroix, an elf of the magical way. You were born in the Tir and you call your mother every week. And you are dying."

As she talks the sky grows dark, and a cold wind blows from the see. Her parents, and the cars slowly vanish.

"I know everything about you. Now tell me. Why are you here?"
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix explains, "You were sitting in the back of Grendel's van. You were being recluse and distant. You seem to be unwilling or unable to communicated verbally, so I attempted a mind link. When I did it, something must have happened, perhaps releated to you being awakened, and I was brought here."

"How do you know so much about me?"
Shadow
"I am the gatekeeper. All who come before me are known. All who pass beyond me are known. Why are you here."

As she speaks the world fades to grey. The sandy beaches and sun disappear like a dream until the two of you are standing in fog.

Jr. Woodchuck
"I dont understand..." the elf stutters. "I'm here for knowledge."
Shadow
"Knowledge is not a goal, but a meens to a goal. Why are you here Delacroix? Why have you come before me?" The not so little girl begins to morph and change. She grows tall, taller than the elf, she looks much older.

"I am the gatekeeper, I have all the knowledge, from you I need the truth. Why are you here. Why have you come to this placce? Why are you on this journey?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"I am on the journey to clean myself of a disease. I am infected with HMHVV, this virus is changeing me into what I believe will be a Vampire, but I am unsure. I wish to remove the disease from my body."
Shadow
"You may pass," The gate keeper in the form of Miri says.

The world goes dim, as if the light has been switched off. Darkness threatens to swallow you. In the distance a dim light can be seen. A clear light of great beauty. You move toward and find yourself falling. Faster, and faster until the air wistling buy you deafens you. The dim light opens up and you are falling through the sky, a lush world is around you.

You hit the ground hard. Mud and water splatter in every direction. It is cold and wet. You are lying on a road, probably a few hundred meters from a small village.
Jr. Woodchuck
Looking around to survey the land, Delacroix begins to cautiously walk towards the village. The Elf keeps an eye out for anything suspicious.
Shadow
The village seems to be somewhat deserted. You can hear a crowd making noise from the far end though. As you make your way through the quaint place it reminds you of something you saw in a book once. A medieval village in Scotland or England, something like that. At the far end it looks like the entire town has gathered. They are dressed in rags of multicolored cloth and poorly made boots. Nothing even come close to be being nice.

The center of their attention is a pole about ten feet high that has been driven into the ground. Kindling and other burnable material has been stacked on it. Tied to the pole is a young girl, perhaps sixteen. She is of exquisite beauty. Fine red hair falls down her shoulders in waves. Her skin is fair like porcelain, and even from ten meters away you can tell she is gorgeous. She also looks like she has been beaten and whipped. Her clothes are in tatters and she is bound to the pole.

Several men are standing around her with torches. You get close enough you can make out what the crowd is saying. They are chanting one word: Witch
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix taps one of the men holding a torch, "Excuse me sir, but did you say witch? What proof is there of this?"
Shadow
"What? Acke lad, it is plain as the eye can see. She is a witch!" The man grabs the girs face and forces it to the right. Her long red hair parts, revealing ears that come to a fine point. She is an elf.

"A child of the devil she is," comes a shout from the crowd.

"Burn her," comes another.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix weaves a mindlink with the "witch", "Hello I am a friend. I am the elf with the white hair and black eyes, i'm wearing purple and red, and if you scan the crowd now you'll see me. I am going to get you out of here."

"Are you injured, can you run? They say your a witch, can you cast spells or are you simply an elf?"
Shadow
Her eyes go large at the mindlink. She franticly looks around. When she spots you, her eyes go bigger.

"Your like me, she thinks. I didn't think there was anyone like me."
Jr. Woodchuck
"That I am, and I dont plan on letting you die here, just because your different."
Shadow
"Thank you, I don't even live here. My village is a days walk away. I was gathering water and these men accosted me. They were... they were.. then they saw my ears and brought me here. Please oh please help me."
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix walks around to the back where her hands are tied, keeping his distance he preps mentally for the spell he is about to cast. "I am going to unbind you from a distance then cast a spell that will make you invisible to them. Once you hear them scream that you have disapeared meet me out of town."

"There are a few things you must understand, you will be invisible to sight, but that doesnt mean they wont be able to hear, smell, or touch you. Additionally you must stay within my line of sight. If you hide behind a wall and you can't see me you'll immediately become visible again."

"Do you understand?"

Shadow
"Yes, yes I understand."
Shadow
The girls eyes go wide as she feels the nots binding he hands loosen. The crowd continues to chant as the big man you spoke to earlier begins to speak. He yells and hollers about witches, evil, and the work of the devil. He grabs one of the lit torches and waves it menacingly in the girls face.
Shadow
The screams are immediate as a massive lump of bodies collapses at once. Those unaffected, or strong enough to resist, stare in shock as half the town is suddenly struck down.
Shadow
More screams echo through the crowd as the girl vanishes from sight! The mayor drops to his knees and starts chanting in Latin. The girl, now invisible carefully steps of the platform and starts running for the nearby woods.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix backs away slowly and begins making his way over to where the girl waits near the forest.

"Are you hurt?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012