Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Grasping Vapors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Shadow
Grendal says,

"Naturally. If we are going to pursue this course of action, we will need all of the skills you possess. Without you, this is a lost cause. That being said, though, if this disease does turn out to be incurable, is there anyone you wish me to notify? Someone to whom I should give your effects?"

As he waits for the answer, Grendel pulls out his pocket secretary and connects it to a fiber optic line from the datajack at his temple. Sliding the unit across the table, he points the screen at Delacroix, so he can read the text.

If we're going to do this, we need information. We need to know who and what Samantha is and what she is capable of doing. We need to know who her contacts are and what resources she is capable of calling upon. We will need a plan on how to approach, immobilize, and interrogate her. We will need to contact possible buyers for any intelligence that we acquire from that interrogation. Two of the specific agencies I can think of are the Draco Foundation and the Massachussettes Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgy. I'm open to suggestions if you have other ideas. Do you have any information gathering contacts that we can use, a decker or info broker?
Jr. Woodchuck
"It would be my mother. You can reach her at this LTG #. She will know my fate if you simply call, I talk to her often, though she doesn't know about the disease or what I do here in Seattle."

Delacroix laughs as he hears Grendel ask the question of what Samantha is, "What? You mean you dont realize whats going on?"

"My friend, I have been infected by HMHVV. Noone knows because the Street Docs that i've gone to dont have the equipment to see it. They know I have some sort of problem with my blood, but nothing more. I am not sure what i'm going to turn into but I believe its your standard Vampire. The Doctor was one so I only assume. Also I think the only reason why its been a slow change is because of the way the disease was transmitted."

"He didn't bite me. When I released the spell his body litterally blew up, and I was covered in blood, with open sores and cuts from casting the spell. Jacques, the gun bunny with me, was unaffected because he wasn't cut."

"I am unsure if any of my contacts can help."
grendel
I just wanted to be sure before I drew any conclusions. Since vampirism is essentially an Awakened virus, shouldn't a talismonger or other magical contact be of us in researching its strenghs and weaknesses? In any case, I'm going to get in touch with my fixer and begin the intelligence gathering phase. Has anyone given you a probable lifespan yet? How long do we have before your transformation is complete? Will it be a sudden change or gradual? What is your plan for the endgame?

Grendel's text flows across the screen of the pocket secretary, silent to everyone save the elf seated across from him.
Jr. Woodchuck
"I have no knowledge of my lifespan. Again, no doctors are aware of my condition. I have deduced what is happening to me based on the series of events I explained."

"I have no idea when I will fully change, I only know that its been progressively getting worse for a little over a year now. I always thought that when someone gets bit, they change almost instantaneously. Again as I said before though, I have not been bit, so perhaps this has something to do with it."

"I believe the change will be gradual, though I feel that we are close to the end. What use to be a monthly change has now progressed to weeks and now daily. Everyday that passes it feels like my last."

"My contacts aren't really much help. My family has connections but I dont want them to know whats happening to me, and their connections are all in the Tir, which I will assume this is out of their realm of knowledge. I have a Fixer friend named Harry, and a Decker named I/O. I dont know what any of these peopld can do for me though. I think our best bet is to talk to Samantha, even though I distrust her."
grendel
All right, how did you want to go about the questioning? We have her LTG number, we can meet just about anywhere to talk. Or did you have something a little more forceful in mind?

At the same time his words scroll across the screen of the pocket secretary, Grendel opens up a call to Zoe.

Zoe, it's me. I need as much information as possible about HMHVV: the virus, its effects, especially on metahumans, and the strengths and weaknesses of the resulting hybrid. Bonus bucks if you get it to me by tomorrow.
Shadow
"affirmative," the blondes voice sounds in your head, "I can get right on it and give you a data dump by 0800. Watch your back if your dealing with Vamps."
Jr. Woodchuck
"Unless she attempts to hurt me, you, or anyone else for that matter, then we can be forceful."

"As for where we question her, I really think thats going to be up to her."
grendel
How about this, then: call her and ask her to meet below the I5/Harbor St exit in South Downtown. You talk to her, I'll listen and cover you from the Bison. From there, I can provide as much firepower as required in case the negotiations go poorly.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix smirks, "Your that confident in your machines?"

Delacroix waits for the obvious response.

The mage laughs, "Of course you are, sounds good to me friend."
grendel
Grendel doesn't reply, simply retrieving his pocket secretary and cable and standing.

"Call from the road, we need to recon the site and establish a security perimeter."

He overlays his view with a fifty percent mask of network surveillance feed, verifying that nothing has moved into position during their time in the club. After a moment, he clears Delacroix with a nod.
Jr. Woodchuck
"Okay, the sooner the better," says the elf as he stands up. Delacroix will pause waiting for Grendel to stand. Once this happens the elf will follow his friend out of the house, ...and their mission begins.
grendel
Grendel straps into the Bison, jacking in to the hardwired system. His network interface segments itself out before him. Nosing out into traffic, he relinquishes control of the vehicle to its pilot, feeding the rendezvous coordinates into the onboard GPS. Once certain the Bison has locked in a safe route, he turns his attention to the Condor hovering overhead. Opening up his virtual display to encompass a greater area, he draws a curving route to an overhead surveillance point for the stealthy drone. With his pieces moving into position, the elf unlocks the weapon safeties throughout the Bison. His immediate tasks complete, he waits for Delacroix to provide the next necessary information.
Shadow
The large diesel easily pulls into the late night traffic. The computer scans the maps and sorts out the best route to take. Once it has processed an overlay appears with your current location, a pulsing red dot on the target, and a flashing E.T.A.
Jr. Woodchuck
When the eta reads zero and the Bison comes to a halt. The mage relax's. His body going limp, but the spirt beginning to explore. Delacroix emerges from his astral body. Leaving the weak, sickly body behind the mages astral signature is powerful and strong, yet noticeably twisted. He is changed, he is different. Delacroix throws up a mask, of a simple Air Elemental, but even his Air Elemental mask is twisted and different. Delacroix looks at himself and imagines this must be what a Toxic Air Elemental would look like.

Knowing all too well that its becoming more and more difficult to hide his condition the elf proceeds with scouting out the meeting area. He will just have to be more careful.

Intended action Delacroix will scout the area using his stealth and astral scouting skills. dont have character sheet on me at work
Shadow
Delacroix scouts around the area, finding nothign larger than a rat at the exit. The 15th street exit to the harbor is a little used entrence to the masive Puget Sound. Few vehicles travel this way during the day, none at night. After a few minutes you are sure in your sollitude.
Jr. Woodchuck
The mage returns to his body. "We are alone," replies the elf to the question Grendel was thinking.
grendel
"You have Samantha's contact number, correct? Let me listen in on the call but you should be the only one who speaks."
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix dials Samantha's LTG #. "Samantha, hi its Delacroix. I want to appologize for my outburst at the bar earlier. Anyway I have been giving what you said some thought. I would like to meet and discuss, sooner then later. If you have the information to help me out i'm willing to listen. I'm at the harbor, 15th street exit. Can you meet up with me tonight?"
grendel
Grendel listens carefully to his friend's call, manipulating the center display screen as well. A skeletonized 3-D image of the area within five hundred meters rotates on the display. He high-lights a corner with an amber circle, scaling down to a hundred meter display. Three dashed lines draw away from the circle, one in green, one in blue, and the last in red. He glances over at Delacroix, trying to ascertain how well the elf is going to hold up during the difficulties they were about to bring down upon themselves.
Shadow
The sweet sound of her voice fills the telecom with an almost hypnotic jingle. You remember why you were attracted to her in the first place. She let's out a sigh after she hears your voice, "oh Del, she says, why did you call now?" Her voice pauses for a minute, she sounds, sad?

"I can be there in about an hour," she says, "I am glad you called though, see you soon." And the line goes dead.
Jr. Woodchuck
"oh Del, she says, why did you call now?"

Delacroix looks at Grendel with confusion on his face.

"I can be there in about an hour," she says, "I am glad you called though, see you soon." And the line goes dead.

"We have one hour, do what you need to setup Grendel." The elf closes his eys and lies back in the chair, "I am ready."
grendel
"We'll move ten minutes early. This position on here offers the best cover while maintaining good sightlines on the avenues of approach. Do not look at the drones while you are waiting. When Samantha comes, try and keep her out in the open. Do not get into a vehicle with her, as I won't be able to cover you directly. I will only go live upon your request or as a preemptive strike. Once we are live, anyone who isn't us is a target. If we have to withdraw, I'll try and get to you. If I am unable to, utilize the escape routes shown. Give me an ETA over the radio and I'll meet you at the rendezvous point. Questions?"
Jr. Woodchuck
"Nope, your thorough preperation is comforting to me."
Shadow
The hour inside the Bison goes by slowly. A palatable tension fills the air between the two elves, not something they can directly put a finger on, but that feeling they get just before a run. The setup feels wrong, no Johnson paying the cred, no steadfast resolution in sight, no way out, and no idea what is going on. The uncertainty settles like a stone in your stomach. The hour does pass though and soon it is ten minutes till....
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix looks at his pocket secretary and says, "10 minutes till. I hope she's not running late."
grendel
Grendel unlocks the passenger side door so Delacroix can step out.

"Watch your back."
Shadow
The intersection is dark on the moonless night. The overpass is silhouetted in the lights from the city and casts a dark shadow on everything. Grendel runs a systems check and the computer reports all drones are %100. Delacroix stands unceasingly near the overpass, waiting. Suddenly the Condor reports movement on the overpass. A dark clad figure leaps the edge, the camera zooms but can't get a lock on it before the image disappears.

Delacroix hears a light sound behind him, like leaves falling in the wind. He turns, Samantha is there a few feet behind him. She is dressed in dark clothes, boots and a leather trench coat. Her hair is pulled behind her in a pony tail. Even in the darkness she seems to glow with beauty.

"Hi," she says demurely.
grendel
Most impressive. Relegating the surveillance feed of Delacroix and Samantha to a side screen, Grendel sweeps the area carefully. He runs the feed through all available spectrums, searching for any sign or telltale he may have missed earlier. Once complete, he runs through the electromagnetic spectrum as well, sifting through the hash of random transmissions for any sign that she's in communication with a back-up team of some sort.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix turns around unstartled by her anouncement of her presence. Quick and to the point Delacroix says, "I want my life back. What must I do?"
Shadow
@ Grendel,

Your scans report back nominal background noise form radio transmissions. The electromagnetic scan sweeps the area lighting up several living things, rats, birds, a stray cat, but nothing larger than a dog. Your computer does alert you to decreased visibility as a cold fog begins to roll in from the water.

@ Delacroix,

"To the point," she says with a heavy sigh. "I'll be blunt Del, I am a vampire, but not the kind you see in the news, those are," she pauses as she thinks of a word, "bestie. Animals, infected with a disease. Some of us have been around for far longer than this century. We tread carefully and we tell no one of our presence. And we absolutely do not convert anyone who doesn't embrace it." She stops and steps closer to Delacroix, close enough to rest her hand agains his, "It's not to late to reverse what has happened to you, but are you sure it is what you want? We, we could be together for a long, long time if you chose to embrace it." She looks up hopefully, but the shadow of doubt rests in her liquid brown eyes. Her scent, and touch are intoxicating. Her lips slightly parted and holding her breath waiting for the response she knows will be negative.
Jr. Woodchuck
When Samantha grabs his hand, Delacroix begins to sweat and pulls his hands back. "I'm sorry but you'll have to earn my trust. The last Vampire I met tried to kill me. I know nothing of your kind."

The Elf continues, "Samantha please dont take what i'm saying personal. Your obviously a very special woman, but i'm uncomfortable with what has been happening to me in the past year. I've been all alone, with noone to depend on. I seek answers to questions I haven't even asked yet. I think there is something wrong with me."

Delacroix pauses and collects himself, "why haven't I turned yet? Its been a year since I was infected. Why haven't I felt the urge to suck somebody's blood? How do you feed?"
Shadow
"I... I don't want to go into how we feed, but just belive me when I say, I don't kill or turn anyone, ok? Your not a vampire because you didn't choose to be, you were forced..." she pauses for a moment trying to think of the words, "I can't explain because I don't know why, but you aren't turning into a vampire, your dying, your body is fighting it because your soul doesn't want it. Your powerful Delacroix, very powerful, and it is because of that power you are even still alive. I don't pretend to understand what is happening to you." She moves closer to you, as if hiding in your shadow. She rests her chin on your shoulders and whispers in your ear, "I know someone who does. His name is Jonus Quin, he lives in San francisco." It is now that you notice her slipping an envelope into your pocket. "Be quick Delacroix, certain people have learned of our... relationship, and they know who you are now, they will not stop until you are turned," she steps away, shadow falls over her gorgeous features, her whisper lingers on the air as she slowly vanishes into the night, "or dead." You blink and she is gone. The warmth you felt a moment before replaced buy a cold cutting wind.

@ Grendel,

your sensors watch her as she steps into darkness, you computer controlled microphones pick up her last words and then she literally disappears. Your Condor catches movement on the over pass and you see her climb over, look left and right and then run across at unhumanly fast speeds. Then she is gone. You let out a breath you didn't even know you were holding. Your about to speak when your proximity alarms roar in your ears. 4 man sized bodies moving in from opposite directions, on the ground and moving way to fast....
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix reaches in his pocket to discover the envelop she put there, "...but how can they turn me if i'm not willing?"

The mage looks up and realizes he's all alone. She has simply disappeared. Delacroix begins to walk casually back to the Bison.
grendel
"Company, move it."

Grendel immediately goes active on all sensors, identifying Delacroix as a friendly surface unit inside the BattleTac interface.

All drones, engage hostile surface units as they appear.
Jr. Woodchuck
QUOTE (grendel @ Jan 25 2004, 08:54 AM)
"Company, move it."

Delacroix confused with the command replies, "On my way Grendel." Delacroix begins to run towards the Bison.
Shadow
@ Delacroix,

His confusion is cleared up when two shadowy figures land in front of him. They hit the ground, legs bending to absorb the impact. They are dressed all in black, boots, shirts, and long black trenchcoats. They are also wearing hoods and masks. The one on the right is holding a mean looking machine pistol, the other a long sharp monosword. Delacroix can hear movement behind him as well. The one with the sword pulls of his hood, he looks vagely familiar, long braided hair, square jawed good looks.

'Ohanzee slammed into Token with all the force his vat grown muscles could muster. The two paired of like dancers on a stage, blades and tomahawks ringing of each other, spark flying. Then, suddenly, Ohanzee was down. Token raised his sword for the final strike when Brand slammed into his back, the loud cracking noise could be heard over the music....'

"Greetings Delacroix, I have come for you, either to turn you, or kill you, what do you chose?" He has a self assured cocky attitude and it shows.

@ Grendel,

Your computer flags the four assailants as Tango1 - Tango4. Apparently the Bison has gone un-noticed. There not showing up very well on the thermal scan but are nice bright targets on the low-light. The two Delacroix can't see are carrying crescent axes. They are approximately 10 meters away from the truck.
grendel
Utilizing the sensor lock provided by the Bison's onboard electronics, the BattleTac system immediately assigned the westernmost two targest to the Doberman. The remaining two would be engaged by the Bison itself. Grendel's order to the network was almost concurrent with his warning to Delacroix. He watched as the systems status display changed as each drone moved to combat footing. The Bison deployed its turret, delaying its initial fire by a second.
Jr. Woodchuck
"Not this time you wont."

The mage calls forth astral energy focusing it towards his target. His arms tingle and the mage claps his hands over his head and pulls them down to his side in a quick motion.

OOC:
I'm going to cast barrier over the vampire.

SpellBarrier
Force4
ObjectiveTo encase the vampire in a domed barrier, and he will have to attack the barrier to escape.
Target #6
TypePhysical
DurationSustained
Drain+2(S)

Sorcery test 7 dice for spellcasting 3 being allocated from spell pool
Results1,1,2,2,3,3,5,8,8,9 (3 successes)

Drain test Willpower 6, Power Focus 1, Spell pool 3
Results4,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,8,9 (no drain)

fyiKeep in mind that the barrier is a rating 5, because for every 2 success it goes up by +1. The barriers level is doubled with melee attacks, I think...dont quote me on that one wink.gif
Shadow
The spell takes hold instantly trapping Token in a cone of magical force. Enraged he hacks at it with his blade, blue sparks fly showering him in light as he attempts to break the barrier. His companion with the machine pistol opens fire on the now running Delacroix. Bullets bark and skip across the concrete. Three manage to smack the elven mage in the side.

The two who were behind him charge in, one leaping, the other running at the fleeing elf. Then the Doberman opens fire. Flame a full ten feet long roars from the drones armament as the Ares Alpha goes full automatic. A stream of lead one-third an inch wide traveling at 2800 feet per second rips through the leaping vampire. Blood, skin, and bone rain from the sky as the combat gun disintegrated the unarmored target.
grendel
None of the displeasure that he feels shows on the lanky elf's face. Would that the mage had done something, anything, offensive in nature. With a quick motion, he removes the target surrounded by the barrier from the engagement profile. The Bison remains committed to the third target, though, it's turret slewing to bear. Grendel reached over and unlatched the security lock which kept his assault rifle safe during transit. This problem might need to be solved on foot.
Shadow
Token looks on in horror as his compatriot is cut down in mid leap. The machine pistol carrying goon spins in the direction of the fire and starts moving to his right His sleek little pistol roars as it unloads a full auto stream of small caliber rounds at the doberman.

Grasping his weapon in both hands Toke strikes the barrier with all his undead strength. The sparks shower over him as the magic holding it up is assaulted. The barrier holds.

The remaining vampire changes course from charging after Delacroix to dodging the deadly drone. He dives behind a concrete barrier, only poking his head up to see where to go.
Jr. Woodchuck
The sounds of gun fire, brass hitting concrete, and death are all drowned out, as the elf concentrates on running as fast as he can. A darkness sweeps over the elf, as he gets an idea. "Grendel? <pauses for a response> I want you to run over the leader. I'll drop my spell before you hit him," says the elf as he heads towards the armored vehicle.
grendel
"Are you worried that your barrier won't hold? Because we seem to be able to take down his friends with little problem."

Grendel watches with a critical eye as the Bison engages its target.
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix's breathing is very heavy, "If you hit him, I think we can take him alive. If you shoot him, I think he'll die."
Shadow
"DAMMIT!" screams Token as he hacks at the barrier with all his strength. "You made your choice Delacroix, now you are going to pay for it." He stops swinging long enough to say something to his partner. Who immediately takes of running.

Acquiring it's new target the Doberman begins to circle around while firing bursts at the one hiding behind the barrier. The bullets skip and spark of the concrete, and none appear to hit home.
Jr. Woodchuck
"Incorrect sir! I have not made a choice, you have."

Delacroix speaks up so all left alive can hear him, "You have decided that I should either be one of you or die! Well when you give me two poor choices, obviously I must make one of my own. I will live my life on my terms, noone elses. With a mere thought I have trapped you like a wild animal. Tell me does the thirst of blood make you stupid, or are you just a special case of vampire?" Delacroix makes sure to accentuate special case with his fingers in the air quoteing himself.
Shadow
The Ares Alpha from the Bison barks it's thunderous howl and spits out it's fully automatic death! The assailant covered from the Doberman is in full view of the Bison. Round smack into his meat body spraying the concrete divider with blood. While not dead, he is certainlly wounded. Not wanting to end up like his compatriot, he flees as fast as he can, disappearing in the shadows cast by the freeway.

Tokin musters all his strength and with one mighty blow pierces the barrier around him. Haggard and worn from having to punch through such a barrier, he starts to limp off, trying to make it to the shadows which will conceal him.

About the same time Delacroix makes it to the door of the Bison.
grendel
With a thought, the door slides open, revealing the dimly lit interior of the Bison. Grendel's voice reaches out over the radio, clearly audible despite the hammer of the guns.

"Do you want him alive or dead?"
Jr. Woodchuck
Delacroix hops into the seat, "Alive, I dont think he'll be much use to us dead."

The elf turns his head and looks at Grendal, jacked into the Bison, man and machine at one. "I suppose you have ways of tracking him other then sight?" As the elf asks the question his eyes fade away and dark clouds with tints of purple and red flow within the dark orbs. "I will track him astrally. He will not be able to hide in the darkness from me."
grendel
"Buckle up, then."

Grendel accelerates away from the curb, swinging the door shut on the go. He aims to sideswipe the fleeing individual, trying to put the left front tire over his legs. The target will probably live, but he'll never walk right again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012