Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Psionic adventures
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
st0023kr
I would like to ask for some help.
I am a gm trying to help out some of my players.
They have asked for a couple of runs involving Psionic type based animals, and Psionic based groups.
I know that the books have said that magic rules, more or less so any advice on to add or help out in this is wanted.
Also what spells come close to being called Psionic. any advice is wanted.
Tanegar
There's a section in Street Magic specifically about magic-as-psionic-powers. As for psi-like spells, look at the mind-probing, mind-controlling, mood-influencing, etc. spells. No reason in particular why a magician couldn't call himself a psychic, using the standard magic rules.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 23 2009, 05:43 PM) *
There's a section in Street Magic specifically about magic-as-psionic-powers. As for psi-like spells, look at the mind-probing, mind-controlling, mood-influencing, etc. spells. No reason in particular why a magician couldn't call himself a psychic, using the standard magic rules.

Agreed, I have a character that does just this...
Also, you might want to check out Digital Grimoire... It has a Psionic Tradition fleshed out...
Anythingforenoughnuyen
I have done some prep work for something like this, so, for what it’s worth, here is the gist of what I came up with:

In terms of spells: Mind Manipulation is obviously number one, and this includes the attack spells like Mana Bolt/Ball, and Stun Bolt/Ball. Telekinesis is a close second. Healing and Illusion are both appropriate. Fire and electricity work as well, but you need to be more careful with those. Psychic swords are a must. Adepts fit as well. It is a meta-magic ability the last time I looked, not a spell, but psychometry is a standard ability as well.

Obviously I am engaging in major generalization here, but one of the biggest differences between psychic type fantasy and sorcery type fantasy is in defense. Wards are huge in sorcery, but almost non-existent in psychic stories. As an off shoot, in stories with psychic powers, the people who are ultimately in charge are usually those with psychic power (e.g. Star Wars). The mundane CEO with his mage guards would be a lot less common.

One major archetype character that does not exist in Shadowrun, but that is a staple of the psychic fantasy story is the character that has no psychic power himself, but is immune to having his mind manipulated. Another psychic staple that is relatively toned down in Shadowrun is precognition/divining.

Another major thing you need to decide is how you are going to handle conjuring. You will probably not want to use the full range of spirits in the standard game. You might not want to use any conjured entities. However, unique and strange extra-dimensional entities are another staple of psychic fantasy, and allowing the conjuring and binding of such creatures would not be out of bounds.

On the upside, in psychic fantasy, the number one priority of the bad psychers is dealing with the good psychers (again, think Star Wars), so it is easy to involve your players in big bad intrigues.

In addition to extra-dimensional entities, psychic parasites are very cool bad guys or bad guy tools (e.g. the mind control ear worm from Wrath of Khan). I also got some good stuff from the old Spell Jammer supplement for D&D as well.

Hope this Helps
AFE nuyen.gif
LamplightSlasher
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen @ Apr 23 2009, 06:59 PM) *
In addition to extra-dimensional entities, psychic parasites are very cool bad guys or bad guy tools (e.g. the mind control ear worm from Wrath of Khan).

Now that's a pop-culture reference that belongs in my game... if not everyones.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (LamplightSlasher @ Apr 23 2009, 07:21 PM) *
Now that's a pop-culture reference that belongs in my game... if not everyones.

Gotta Love Khan Noonien Singh, and his Mind Worms of course...
Rayzorblades
I've said it before, but the movie Push is full of ideas for a campaign just like this. Another staple of psychic stories is talking to the dead, how would that be handled?
Screaming Eagle
Talking to the dead approaches one of the no-nos in Shadowrun that the meta-human “soul� or “spirit� is really hard to pin down. That being said I had a player several years ago who was dead set on playing a Necromancer, on the spot walking dead was easy with sustaining foci and one of the telekinetic manipulations with a limited target and we ran down the list and hit this snag. Several traditions with ancestor worship permit summoning of spirits of man (the ancestors) that fit the bill with only light modification but this doesn’t get him answers from the guy he just fragged (which was his goal). I don’t have the notes here but we basically kit bashed together a variant “Mind Probe/w. Healing drain� as a detection spell – the argument being so long as the brain matter was completely to mostly intact the information was still there just degrading, FAST. I seem to recall we settled on something in the area of (3rd ed rules) target#= 14 –essence Leaving the BASE TN at 8. With obvious head trauma making the spell unusable and an upper time limit for use in and about 3 minutes + or – adverse or favourable conditions. The drain base was (F/2deadly) +2 or so, I recall it was harsh enough to sternly discourage repeated use. Force limited successes attainable for the detection spell results.
Not having the 4th spell design at hand I “Think� it would translate out to force/2+6 or so with a base threshold of 3?I also can’t recall off hand how the healing spell works in the new edition when opposed by cybertech.

Before this gets shouted down TOO loudly I mostly allowed it because it made me laugh like hell, repeatedly. No really, what kind of Intimidate bonus do you get for threatening the mark and then having the face/rigger pipe up, “Guys! Calm down, we can’t kill him yet. Not until we get him to the Necromancer.� The group got quiet, one of them offered the mark a smoke... (needless to say once they actually got to said mages home I stopped rolling that social contest and he spilled the beans)
It also led to all sorts of interesting tactical changes, mostly because the group as a whole prefered people to be alive to talk, this wizard was Creepy As F*&*

Its not quite what you are looking for but its is “more or less� within the magic rules and its the closest I felt comfortable allowing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012