Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nanotatts!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neraph
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/20/0342234

Ooh, wow.

Evidently they've developed nanomachines that are capable of wirelessly receiving images and projecting them on the skin, all powered by your skin's electric field.
Method
So how do you reactivate that cyber-commlink that has its wireless disabled.... nanotat power button!!
Draco18s
You know. If these are becoming real, I might actually get one. One of my issues with wanting a tattoo is, "A tattoo of what? What would I want to keep around on my skin for the rest of my life?" and not having an answer. But if I could change it...at will...even get "rid" of it...that would be something I could do.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 24 2009, 02:07 AM) *
So how do you reactivate that cyber-commlink that has its wireless disabled.... nanotat power button!!

I wonder what the Essence cost for something like that would be?
Stahlseele
well, just wait untill the first one keels over after having one too many . .
then count and see how often that one fits into 6 essence points O.o
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2009, 03:37 AM) *
well, just wait untill the first one keels over after having one too many . .
then count and see how often that one fits into 6 essence points O.o

Of course I am talking about game mechanics rules for a nanotat kill switch for your cyber commlink.
Stahlseele
i knew that, of course . .
Issmir
The movie in the final link behind the link was fascinating. It produced the following immediate thoughts;

(a) I want one.
(b) My cats are going to LACERATE my back when I get one. They thought toes under the covers was good? Oooooh boy.
© If you combine that with the WPAN idea in the first article behind that link, how long before someone hacks into your system in a Starbucks and you find yourself sporting such messages as "kick me; my security is a joke" on your forearm?
hobgoblin
thats the fun part of sci-fi, the near future stuff is just a question of time wink.gif
Neraph
I just now looked at the stuff... The video about the "sensual tattoo" thing sounds like someone's deep-frying one of the aliens from Signs...
Neraph
Seriously though, one of the main ideas I had for SR (and now apparantly I'll be able to do IRL) was to have a nanotatt hooked up to a Virtual Pet. The pet is displayed along the tattoo, and would move around your body at will. It would also be capable of "feeling" you pet it or play with it.
nezumi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 24 2009, 11:00 AM) *
The pet is displayed along the tattoo, and would move around your body at will. It would also be capable of "feeling" you pet it or play with it.

*edited out because I can only think of dirty, self-abuse results from this sort of thing*
BookWyrm
You could also call up maps or directions when you're out, to display on your arm or the back of your hand while travelling (lends a whole new meaning to "I know this town like...")

There's also the possibility of your tat getting hacked, such as your dragon tat suddenly changing into an ad for Fizzy-Bonb soft-drinks, or someone getting payback on you by changing your tats to "SLEEPS WITH {insert any type here}" or getting Rick-Roll'd while in a meeting.....
Neraph
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 24 2009, 09:04 AM) *
*edited out because I can only think of dirty, self-abuse results from this sort of thing*

Mind out of the gutter.
Issmir
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 24 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Mind out of the gutter.

Totally.

It's clearly MY turn in the gutter, you've been there way too long.
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Apr 24 2009, 08:09 AM) *
You could also call up maps or directions when you're out, to display on your arm or the back of your hand while travelling (lends a whole new meaning to "I know this town like...")

rotfl.gif That made me keel over.
Stahlseele
*wrong map gets displayed*
"Wait, where the hell am i?"
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 24 2009, 05:00 PM) *
Seriously though, one of the main ideas I had for SR (and now apparantly I'll be able to do IRL) was to have a nanotatt hooked up to a Virtual Pet. The pet is displayed along the tattoo, and would move around your body at will. It would also be capable of "feeling" you pet it or play with it.

reminds me of a recent anime. only there is was a "spirit" in the shape of a gecko...
Method
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 24 2009, 12:11 AM) *
I wonder what the Essence cost for something like that would be?
Well nanotats are listed as a Nanoware system, and Augmentation page 107 says they have no essence cost. Augmentation page 108 says you can activate and deactivate a nanoware system with certain stimuli. So the kill switch could be invisible until "stimulated" and then appear. The real question is- would it cost essence to like it to your cybercommlink? Would that require a hardwired connection?
Stahlseele
nah, all nano is wifi-enabled per default, as the nano-cells themselves get activated by wifi . .
also: am i the only one constantly reading nanotits, when having a quick look at the forum?
BookWyrm
Yeah, Stahsteel, you were....until you mentioned it. :swat:
Draco18s
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 24 2009, 10:04 AM) *

Hey now, get out of my gutter.

Now, I thought of this book and one of its characters with regards to full body nanotat + virtual pet.

Edit:
Nanotattoos are part of the nanoware category of implants, which means that it degrades at a rate of 1 Rating a Week. Nanotattoos cost Rating * 250 nuyen.gif so while not expensive, it's mildly annoying to characters who just want to be flashy with it.
hobgoblin
conductive skin paint anyone?
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/...uctive_ink.html

looks like its not just nanotattoos thats around the corner...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Apr 24 2009, 07:23 PM) *
Yeah, Stahsteel, you were....until you mentioned it. :swat:

Welcome to the Gutter, we got Fun and Games.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Welcome to the Gutter, we got Fun and Games.

Delicious, delicious debauchery fun and games.
Stahlseele
Not quite, i was listening to Guns'n'Roses right then.
Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 24 2009, 08:59 PM) *
conductive skin paint anyone?
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/...uctive_ink.html

looks like its not just nanotattoos thats around the corner...

Sometimes ago I've seen an article (the link was posted on this forum) about some people that managed to make a wireless signal to crawl to the bioelettric field of a person (mainly to reduce the power consumption), basicaly a skinlink (orribly name skintenna), so yes we have both nanotattos and skinlink; by the way I've found a TRODE HEADSET (read only version).
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Not quite, i was listening to Guns'n'Roses right then.
Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money honey
We got your disease

So good!!!
Stahlseele
And now that i have, for the first time in my life, actually READ the lyrics . . that song is surprisingly fitting for shadowrun O.o
hobgoblin
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Apr 24 2009, 11:56 PM) *
Sometimes ago I've seen an article (the link was posted on this forum) about some people that managed to make a wireless signal to crawl to the bioelettric field of a person (mainly to reduce the power consumption), basicaly a skinlink (orribly name skintenna), so yes we have both nanotattos and skinlink; by the way I've found a TRODE HEADSET (read only version).

i think microsoft had a patent request in for a skinlink like system. but it was based on the conductive properties of human flesh, and so needed direct skin contact.

still, they where talking about stuff like a kinetic charger in ones shoes, and exchanging business cards by a handshake...
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 25 2009, 12:36 AM) *
i think microsoft had a patent request in for a skinlink like system. but it was based on the conductive properties of human flesh, and so needed direct skin contact.

still, they where talking about stuff like a kinetic charger in ones shoes, and exchanging business cards by a handshake...

I think that the skinlink would be better for meshing devices such as I-pods, display glasses, headphones, etc. without having hundreds of wires.
HappyDaze
Soon we'll be able to burn (or cut) the subject's feet and wait to see how long it takes the nanotat on his/her face to degrade. By SR4 rules, since it's a rating 1 nano system, the tat will fail well before the subject takes any lastling damage...
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 24 2009, 05:31 PM) *
Delicious, delicious debauchery fun and games.

I know. I have my own toys, TYVM.
BookWyrm
Nuthin' wrong with that, as long as you clean up after yourself (or have the $$ available to have it done professionally).
Stahlseele
You need new Glasses Wyrm, you replied to yourself from 6 Months ago ^^
Summerstorm
Or better: one and a half YEARS...

Whoa...

Hm... got nothing for the thread.
Stahlseele
oh, you're right . . i still remembered the thread, so i did not think it was quite THAT far back ^^#
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 7 2010, 02:10 PM) *
oh, you're right . . i still remembered the thread, so i did not think it was quite THAT far back ^^#

Yeah... Now I feel old.
Stahlseele
There's a reason for that, you know? ^^
Neraph
I just Math-ed it up and figured out I've been kicking on these forums for 2 years and 3 months. Wow, time certainly does go fast when you're having fun.
Stahlseele
3 Years and 2 Months here, i think . . and yeah, the post count shows ^^
hobgoblin
hmm, feeling old. No comment i guess...
Stahlseele
Dude . . you are like . . ancient o.O
Aku
i think i qualify as a near ancient too <looks aty his date>
pbangarth
So who is member No. 1?
Explosive Donut!
If I ever were to get one of these, I could most certainly keep making it a face for ventriloquism.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 23 2009, 11:59 PM) *
One of my issues with wanting a tattoo is, "A tattoo of what? What would I want to keep around on my skin for the rest of my life?" and not having an answer.

A heart with a scroll across it that reads "INTERNET"

And in the background, there's a 5½ floppy...
nezumi
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 8 2010, 01:48 AM) *
So who is member No. 1?

One of the admins.

Keep in mind, everyone's date was reset when the forum software was upgraded. So you'll have a bunch of people with the same join date. Unfortunately, the oooold forums haven't ever been brought online (despite the promises!!), so youngins like you will never probably appreciate Suitcase Rigger.
pbangarth
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 8 2010, 10:52 AM) *
One of the admins.

Keep in mind, everyone's date was reset when the forum software was upgraded. So you'll have a bunch of people with the same join date. Unfortunately, the oooold forums haven't ever been brought online (despite the promises!!), so youngins like you will never probably appreciate Suitcase Rigger.
"Youngins" like me? So, the fact that your join date is later than mine belies the fact that you belonged to the mythical "oooold forums"? notworthy.gif
nezumi
Sorry, read the post, not the poster nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012