Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hilarious
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DV8
I got an incredibly flattering and funny private message, which, I think, really wasn't intended for me, and I wanted to share it with you guys. I've left out the name of the person who sent it, for privacy reasons.

Quick Question: Are you perhaps the real Rob Boyle? If so any plans for a blog on what's going on in the Shadowrun Universe and Fan Pro? Just curious? (I've been out of the game for 6 years and I'm getting back into. Liked what you did with the Universe). You wouldn't happen to know of any  plans to make Wizkids Action Figure Shadowrun game a little less silly? (Sorry, but the action figures idea is nice but it's on a scale that seems a tad silly when SR had tons of great mini's ripe and waiting to be cast into hero clix or some other type of mini's game.) Any Comments on this? (Besides I think a 28mm size game would be awsome and readily adaptable to other available scenery errr ummm uhhhh. GW....ummm errrr stuff.......)

If your busy sorry about all the questions. If your ever in Boston there's a beer waiting for ya in the North End. Thanks for keeping the game alive and really helping it grow.

My reply:

Quick Question: Are you perhaps the real Rob Boyle?

*****, I'm sorry to disappoint you, because I'm really not Rob Boyle. The closest thing to Rob on this board is Rob - who comes in every once in a while to sort out some particularly messy debates - or Adam, who is the Official Shadowrun Homepage administrator.
Fortune
LOL! You should send him Rob's email address (info at shadowrunrpg dot com).
toturi
Will the Real Rob Boyle please stand up? Please stand up?
Domino
No you should of said, " No I am the fake Rob Boyle, but do I still get that beer?"
Fortune
QUOTE (Domino)
...the fake Rob Boyle...

Bob Royal?
Phaeton
Royally Bob!
Adam
QUOTE (Domino)
No you should of said, " No I am the fake Rob Boyle, but do I still get that beer?"

Red Bull and Vodka.
Zazen
Red Bull the trendy energy drink?
moosegod
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 15 2004, 03:37 AM)
Will the Real Rob Boyle please stand up? Please stand up?

What? grinbig.gif I'm here, but you know...
Req
Heh heh. Guess there's a Rob Boyle in all of us. Frag it. Let's all stand up.
fourstring_samurai

this is totally off topic, but...funny thing is, red bull was actually a sports drink in thailand before an austrian(i think) businessman bought the formula. The original stuff was crazy. it was this cherry serum that came in little brown bottles, and was about 6 times stronger than the canned version. and if you bought it while in thailand where there is no FDA and didn't get the exported version, they'd up the chemicals even more, and would put stuff like nicotine in it. wacky

-this is also why you see a bunch of muay thai shorts on ebay with the red bull logo on them.
Lilt
I am Sparti... I mean Rob Boyle! grinbig.gif
Nomad
I'm Rob.....and so's my wife.
Siege
I think we're being Rob-bed...

oh, wait...this is Shadowrun after all...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Phaeton
*engages in siege warfare with Siege due to his horrible pun* I, the Baron, shall "rob" you all blind!
Hasaku
Ugh. I'm Robbed of breath by your Horrorful SR puns.
toturi
QUOTE (fourstring_samurai @ Jan 16 2004, 02:42 AM)

this is totally off topic, but...funny thing is, red bull was actually a sports drink in thailand before an austrian(i think) businessman bought the formula. The original stuff was crazy. it was this cherry serum that came in little brown bottles, and was about 6 times stronger than the canned version. and if you bought it while in thailand where there is no FDA and didn't get the exported version, they'd up the chemicals even more, and would put stuff like nicotine in it. wacky

-this is also why you see a bunch of muay thai shorts on ebay with the red bull logo on them.

Off topic, but I survived on Red-Bull on my 4 day missions. God, that stuff really wakes you up! It is the closest thing to Potion of Health IRL.
Diesel
Four day missions?
toturi
4 day deployment missions (army shit, no sleep, bugs etc)
Zazen
What's in it?
danbot37
wow, you had to fight the bugs? already? its not even 2011!!!!!
toturi
What's in what? Red Bull? Sugar, caffeine and more sugar and more caffeine, even more sugar and even more caffeine... I think that if they added as much sugar and caffiene as it will dissolve into the water. And the taste sucks big time.
Zazen
And here I thought it was some hokey herbal thing. Now I might just try it smile.gif
moosegod
QUOTE (Hasaku)
Ugh. I'm Robbed of breath by your Horrorful SR puns.

Urge to kill... rising...
Shockwave_IIc
Common drink is Vodka and redbull (at least around these parts)

Funny thing is, i can drink red bull (mainly take it on 16+ hr shifts)
and drink vodka (like water according to house mates) But i can't STAND vodka and red bull mixed...

Anyhow got a feeling this will got locked soon.

Anybody put into there games a NERPS for anything ike this? I Did once called Buzz turbo actually had game effects as well.....
Lilt
I heard some stuff a while back about people allegedly dieing of red-bull overdoses... It's not just caffiene and sugar I'm pretty sure there is some ginseng and taurine in there too (other stimulants). It cprobably is possible to overdose on it, even just on the caffiene content, if you take about a crate of the stuff. It's also possible to die by eating several packs of pro-plus or eating enough jars of raw coffee.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zazen)
And here I thought it was some hokey herbal thing. Now I might just try it smile.gif

Don't. Seriously. Get some Jolt or Monster; Monster tastes vaguely like Red Bull but with only 1% of the sheer Suck. Still enough that it's not something you're going to be drinking for the taste. Red Bull is like cough syrup gone bad. I do not have enough words to insult the stuff.
And yes, you can die of a caffeine overdose. 10 grams is about the mean lethal dose. The most caffeinated product I can think of offhand is Crank2O, which is now illegal IIRC and had 500 milligrams of the stuff. It was water with caffeine, a typical bottle of bottled water. It took twenty of those things to hit the mean lethal dose. Red Bull isn't going to kill you too quick.

~J
Zazen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Jan 16 2004, 01:10 AM)

Don't. Seriously. Get some Jolt or Monster; Monster tastes vaguely like Red Bull but with only 1% of the sheer Suck. Still enough that it's not something you're going to be drinking for the taste. Red Bull is like cough syrup gone bad. I do not have enough words to insult the stuff.

You're talking to someone who has consumed some pretty vile stuff in the name of chemical stimulation, including cough syrup gone bad nyahnyah.gif
toturi
What ever you do DO NOT and I mean DO NOT mix Coke with Tongkat Ali and Vodka... Don't even ask me what Tongkat Ali is. Trust me you don't want to know.
Zazen
Coke as in Coca-Cola?
toturi
Yes... Simply horrible and I'm a certified snake eater with cast iron stomach... and I puked my guts out (so did the rest of my friends)
DV8
QUOTE (Adam)
Red Bull and Vodka.

biggrin.gif
Xirces
QUOTE (Zazen)
Coke as in Coca-Cola?

It's normally a bad sign if you need to ask for clarification on that biggrin.gif

I actually thought the main active ingedient of red bull (and other similar drinks) was Taurine (which a quick google indicates is actually used to help digestion although seems to be related to epilepsy in some way - I didn't actually read any of the links - I'm too lazy).

Apparently, after three jugs of vodka-redbull I start frothing at the mouth. That stuff is *really* bad for hydration.

Siege
QUOTE (Zazen)
What's in it?

Stateside, it's massive amounts of sugar and caffiene.

Unfortunately, it only worked once for me -- after that, it failed to deliver any kind of punch.

As for overdosing -- some idiot died from _drinking_ too much water. Apparently as part of a frat prank.

In short, you can overdose on anything.

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
The Red Bull (or other similar energy drink) deaths that I've heard of (there's been a few) were not due to overdosing on any of the ingredients.

The problem was that the people in question had just finished some extremely physically taxing sports or something, and were already suffering from slight lack of liquids (can't think of the correct term) as well as lack of food, salts, carbohydrates, everything. Then they proceeded to drink large amounts of Red Bull, I think 5 cans of it (1.7l). Their kidneys just couldn't handle it.

At least here in Finland it has quite a lot of taurine in it, but I have no idea how much that affects anything. My choice of Keep Awake Drink is coke, and you certainly can't overdose on that too easily (12l per day at least won't do it).

How about rules for some less-powerful and cheaper version of Long Haul? The street price of 1,000 nuyen per dose is a real killer. Some sort of fancy advancement on the basic caffeine pill that only costs ~5 nuyen per pill and has halved effects but with the same side-effects and an +1 to Perception tests after 24 hours (cumulative)?
Tziluthi
The problem was that the people in question had just finished some extremely physically taxing sports or something, and were already suffering from slight lack of liquids (can't think of the correct term)...

"Dehydration"?

My choice of Keep Awake Drink is coke, and you certainly can't overdose on that too easily (12l per day at least won't do it).

eek.gif

Please don't tell me you know that from personal experience. smile.gif

Red Bull helps to take that surreal edge off of sleep deprivation.
DV8
The effective substances of caffeine only stay resident in the bloodstream for about 15 minutes. However, it is usually enough to jumpstart your mind.
Lilt
@DV8: IIRC that could be seen as how it works. It somehow removes (or causes the body to remove) the chemicals that cause tiredness from the bloodstream so you're not tired again until your body releases enough to make you tired again.
Kagetenshi
DV8: that's why you get the IV.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012