Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer House Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HentaiZonga
So, given that a few people have requested that I talk about my Technomancer House Rules, here goes:

0) I modify the Magic rules a little, first. I need to mention this, because I refer to the Magic rules a lot when describing Technomancer rules.

I have three Skill Groups for magic-types:

Occult
- Arcana
- Assensing
- Astral Combat
- Enchanting

Conjuring
- Summoning
- Banishing
- Binding

Sorcery
- Counterspelling
- Spellcasting
- Ritual Sorcery

1) Technomancers use different skills than hackers. Technomancers gain the following Skill Groups:

Tasking
- Compiling
- Decompiling
- Registering

Weaving
- Linking
- Threading
- Unthreading

Deep Structure
- Matrix Arcana
- Attunement
- Matrix Combat
- Resonance Hacking

2) Technomancers can operate just fine in the Matrix even without Programs or Complex Forms. A Technomancer uses Resonance + Attunement in lieu of any Data Search rolls they need to make, and does not require a Browse program to do so (consider Attunement the equivalent of Assensing). Matrix Combat is the Technomancer equivalent to Cyber Combat, but additionally allows them to operate without an Attack program (treat Matrix Combat as exactly equivalent to Astral Combat for magicians).

3) Complex Forms are handled just like spells. This means that they have no innate level, and are purchased at exactly the same Karma/BP cost as a magician's Spells. The Technomancer chooses the Rating he wants to activate the Complex Form at, rolls Resonance + Threading, and uses the hits to determine how well the spell works. This means that Technomancers don't need any of the Hacker skills to operate, but handle everything with Resonance + Threading tests (and can purchase Specializations for Threading based on the 5 different Complex Form categories). Complex Forms with an (S) after them are Sustained, and operate using the same rules as Sustained Spells. Other Complex Forms are Instant, and operate using the same rules as Instant Spells.

4) The five Complex Form categories are:
Cyber-Combat
- Smartlink (S)
- Attack
- Black Hammer
- Blackout
- Nuke
Data Analysis
- Analyze
- Decrypt (S)
- ECCM (S)
- Scan
- Sniffer (S)
- Track (S)
Data Manipulation
- Encrypt (S)
- Jammer (S)
- Spoof (S)
- Stealth (S)
Data Integrity
- Armor (S)
- Biofeedback Filter (S)
- Corrupt (S)
- Disarm
- Medic
- Purge
Data Sculpting
- Command
- Data Bomb (S)
- Defuse
- Edit
- Exploit (S)
- Reality Filter (S)

A Technomancer's "tradition" determines which kinds of Sprites can aid which kinds of Complex Forms, just like Spirits and Spells for Magicians.

5) Complex Forms may be executed against nodes that would normally be inaccessible, through a process called 'Linking'. Linking requires an in-depth knowledge of the target node, either through examination of its source code, data structure, or a Sprite or another technomancer currently in the node. Linking operates exactly following the rules for Ritual Sorcery.

6) Complex Forms and Programs (but not Agents) may be disrupted or protected against using Unthreading. Unthreading operates exactly like Counterspelling.

7) Technomancers can use Matrix Arcana and Resonance Hacking in the same way that Magicians use Arcana and Enchanting. Resonance Hacking may even be used in conjunction with Software and Hardware tests to create 'Resonance Foci'. A Resonance Focus operates the same way as an equivalent Magical Focus, by weaving odd circuitry and programming hacks into the design that exploit Resonance effects.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
I Think that I really like this...
Meatbag
Restless posts of olde, arise from thy grave!

I heartily approve of these mods. Since I got my hands on SR4, I've loved the Technomancer rules, so I was rather dismayed to find them so lacking compared to mundane hackers. This neatly solves most of my issues.

Do you think the Technomancer quality is still fine at 5 BP? I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning toward "yes". The pesky thing about Resonance is that it disallows magic and discourages 'ware, making technomancers notably more specialized.

I think we ought to whip up hackers, hacker adepts and revised technomancers for comparison.
eidolon
This looks very cool. Thanks for posting it. smile.gif
Veggiesama
I like it, but I think there are too many skills involved. For instance, I don't see a point to the whole Deep Structure skill group.

What exactly does "Unthreading" do? With Spellcasting, we have Willpower + Counterspelling, and you need LOS to your ally. With your cybercombat, we'd have Response + Firewall + Unthreading(?). Most spells don't have a damage resistance test, but cybercombat does. So that's potentially 5 stats to resist with versus Spellcasting's 2.

In addition, I don't think making Complex Forms into a pseudo-Spellcasting test is a good idea either. Put it this way: for every roll that a Hacker has to make, a Technomancer would have to make 2, plus worry about getting beat up by Fading. That's painful, and it's just too many rolls. I like the core rules, where a known CF is reliable, but you have the option to boost it or improvise unknown CFs. Plus, what do you do about Extended Tests?

----------------------

Here is what I do:

Technomancers use their own skills, which are used in place of a hacker's skills:

Technomancy (Skill Group)
Abstraction [Computer & Hacking analogue]
Cyberstrike [Cybercombat analogue... I hate the name.]
Threading [Software analogue, limited to threading and not writing]
Streaming [Data Search & Electronic Warfare analogue]

Complex forms are bought like spells (5 karma). They operate like a program at a rating equal to the technomancer's Resonance.

Threading an existing complex form grants bonus dice instead of increasing the rating [same difference], and new CFs can be threaded in the same way as before. Same Fading DV rules, though sprites cause (1/2 Rating + Hits) DV instead of 2x Hits.

I could see Linking and Resonance Foci (and a new skill group) working here, but I'd rather see more expanded rules first. I do not like making brand new skills for limited-use actions.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ May 3 2009, 09:37 AM) *
----------------------

Here is what I do:

Technomancers use their own skills, which are used in place of a hacker's skills:

Technomancy (Skill Group)
Abstraction [Computer & Hacking analogue]
Cyberstrike [Cybercombat analogue... I hate the name.]
Threading [Software analogue, limited to threading and not writing]
Streaming [Data Search analogue]

Complex forms are bought like spells (5 karma). They operate like a program at a rating equal to the technomancer's Resonance.

Threading an existing complex form grants bonus dice instead of increasing the rating [same difference], and new CFs can be threaded in the same way as before. Same Fading DV rules, though sprites cause (1/2 Rating + Hits) DV instead of 2x Hits.

I could see Linking and Resonance Foci (and a new skill group) working here, but I'd rather see more expanded rules first. I do not like making brand new skills for limited-use actions.

Well thought out... I really like what you have done with it...
How is it working for you?
Veggiesama
Well, lowering the cost of CFs and requiring only 2 skill groups instead of 3 (like hackers and spellcasters) makes technomancers a LOT more BP friendly. Technomancers can actually do things other than, well, technomance.

OTOH, sprites are still wickedly powerful, but I have yet to find a satisfactory way of reigning them in.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ May 3 2009, 10:06 AM) *
Well, lowering the cost of CFs and requiring only 2 skill groups instead of 3 (like hackers and spellcasters) makes technomancers a LOT more BP friendly. Technomancers can actually do things other than, well, technomance.

OTOH, sprites are still wickedly powerful, but I have yet to find a satisfactory way of reigning them in.

Well that figures, but then again, mage's spirits are just as wickedly powerful too... so there you go...
I may have to try this setup...
Urban Fox
This is good stuff. Technomancers in RAW just can't hold a candle to hackers (except in very long campaigns), so I'm interested to check this out. Thanks.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Definitely some interesting options that need some investigation in a roleplaying sense...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012