Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incense Summoning?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
What magic would be necessary to animate trails of incense smoke to use as weapons or summon life into them as creatures?

Would that be summoning or would an Animate Object spell work, what do you think?
Stahlseele
Probably some kind of Air-Spirit.
Or control Element: Air.
Else?
nothing much.
Namelessjoe
if you fallowed a possession tradition then you could use said smoke for a vessal for an air spirit or use an illusion spell like confudion or entertainement to make it look like its moving or has come to life... or mage hands maybe but that would look like an invisable hands waving through it i think
GreyBrother
Sheesh you guys... always overcomplicating things grinbig.gif
Control: [Element]
Street Magic brings up Smoke as an Element.
Control: Smoke BAM!
As for a weapon, well as with Control Flame it's secondary effects could be used. If you want to make direct damage, you have to make a combat spell
DireRadiant
Nothing.

Your tradition Summons Air Spirits that manifest as incense smoke.

Your tradition spells visually show up as incense smoke. Obviously spells which like Lightning Bolt would still be lightning. But any other spell which can be represented visually as an incense effect can be so.

Manaball/Manbolt are astral incense smoke. Powerball, Punch Ram, StunBolt all can be visually done as incense smoke. Energy Aura can be done as Smoke.

Don't think in terms of "My magic takes smoke and does things with it" but more in terms of what mechanical effect you want, match it to an existing spell, and then see if you can simply describe it as smoke. e.g. I turn smoke into a hand held weapon that does damage. This is what Energy Aura would do for you, or a Touch version of a combat spell, take those spells, and describe them as Incense smoke does this or that. As an additional thing you may want to also look at taking Distinctive or Astral beacon Negative qualities to fit your style.
Dr Funfrock
And don't forget that there's a whole set of spell design rules if none of the existing spell effects quite match what you're looking for. Shadowrun's magic system is ridiculously open ended.

To my knowledge there are no "conjure weapons and armour" spells in SR, but they wouldn't be too hard to stat up.
The Mack
QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Apr 28 2009, 12:27 AM) *
To my knowledge there are no "conjure weapons and armour" spells in SR, but they wouldn't be too hard to stat up.

QUOTE (Street Magic pg. 160 Sidebar)
Sorcery Cannot Create Complex Things
Though spellcraft can transform energy, spark elemental forces, and even provide nutrition, no magicians have yet determined a way for sorcery to create complex items (such as a gun or even a hammer) from mana alone—despite the best efforts of research corps to date. Sorcery can be used to fix and sometimes
transmute complex items, but the days of summoning weapons from nowhere have not yet arrived.

While it might be cool, it's one of the limitations of magic in SR.
HappyDaze
So don't create if from mana alone - transmute your thermal underwear into fireproof cloth or the underwire of your bra into a top-notch garrote. More complex and inventive modifications - such as transmuting a laser sight into a raygun - might be possible too.
DireRadiant
Armor Spell + Trid Phantasm.
eidolon
Sam: *sniff sniff* Is that patchouli? When did these guys start hiring hippies?
Mage: Shit! Run!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012