Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just impulsively bought a bunch of SR1st edition books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
I just randomly stopped by a big used book store on my way home from work today. I saw they had a bunch of Shadowrun 1st edition books, and I just impulsively bought Harlequin's Back, the sourcebook, and one other module.

I feel really happy that I finally got my mits on SR 1st edition. I feel as though when I open it up and start reading it, there will be such awesomeness contained that I will lose all my SAN and become an insect shaman who subsequently enslaves the world.

So how about that. I've never even considered buying a copy of SR 4th edition because I felt that it was getting really far away from what Shadowrun originally was, but on an impulse, and with joy in my heart, I've gone and bought the 1st edition sourcebook and a couple of modules in good condition and ended up paying more than buying the 4th edition rule book would have cost me. I'm really excited to read all about keeping track of each bullet when making attacks, 1st edition decking, 80s Japaranoia corporations, and so on.
Link
First edition is inspirational for any SR gamer. Did you get a hardcover or softcover version?
Also, Harlequin's Back is 2nd ed.
SincereAgape
The owner of the my local gaming store came down in the middle of our session this weekend and handed me a SR 1st Edition Hard Cover Core Rulebook to keep.

I flipped through the book and it felt great. The pictures of the archtypes made me laugh out loud, and I really do miss the cyberpunk pink mohawkism feel to the old editions. The pictures in the gear and weapon section made me feel like I was walking through an old museum or flipping through a history book.

Being a fan of the old novels, I finally realized that Dodger, Sally Tsung, and Dodger were on the cover of the SR 1st and Second Edition books.

Also: Recently purchased "Elven Fire." and "Mecurial" from Amazon. *Thumbs up* Really bizzare yet excellent storytelling.
BlueMax
If you live near Mountain View California, the used book stores on Castro St have lots of First and Second Edition Shadowrun.

I've picked through all I want, you can have the rest nyahnyah.gif
Malachi
QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Apr 27 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Being a fan of the old novels, I finally realized that Dodger, Sally Tsung, and Ghost Who Walks Inside were on the cover of the SR 1st and Second Edition books.

Correction in bold. wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Link @ Apr 27 2009, 08:45 PM) *
First edition is inspirational for any SR gamer. Did you get a hardcover or softcover version?
Also, Harlequin's Back is 2nd ed.

1.) Hardcover.

2.) NOOOOOOOOO!
Lindt
Dont cry! HB is possibly the best book released for SR quite possibly ever!

But yes, the old stuff is great to look thru. Makes me feel... well 12 years younger at least.
eidolon
I gotta say, WR, as well as you "get" Shadowrun (the origins, the intended feel, the REAL Shadowrun biggrin.gif), I'm extremely surprised that you're just now getting a copy of SR1.
Synner667
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 28 2009, 01:39 AM) *
I feel really happy that I finally got my mits on SR 1st edition. I feel as though when I open it up and start reading it, there will be such awesomeness contained that I will lose all my SAN and become an insect shaman who subsequently enslaves the world.

So how about that. I've never even considered buying a copy of SR 4th edition because I felt that it was getting really far away from what Shadowrun originally was, but on an impulse, and with joy in my heart, I've gone and bought the 1st edition sourcebook and a couple of modules in good condition and ended up paying more than buying the 4th edition rule book would have cost me. I'm really excited to read all about keeping track of each bullet when making attacks, 1st edition decking, 80s Japaranoia corporations, and so on.

SR v1 is indeed a very different beast to SR v4, in a very good way smile.gif
Phylos Fett
Now that you have the SR1 BBB you can see how the Ares Viper Slivergun got messed up in the changes from SR1 to SR2! cool.gif
nezumi
I got my copy of SR1 as a wedding present. Fantastic book and good reference. I actually met one of the playtesters, Bob something (forgot his last name - Bob, if you're out there, I still have your vacuum cleaner).

HB is apparently a great run. I've never run it myself. However, because it's SR2, it's easily portable to your SR3 games, which is also very good (SR1 is very difficult to run in SR3).
paws2sky
QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Apr 27 2009, 09:56 PM) *
The owner of the my local gaming store came down in the middle of our session this weekend and handed me a SR 1st Edition Hard Cover Core Rulebook to keep.

So jealous right now.

I had the chance to pick up a pristine copy (seriously, it looked brand new) of the SR1 hard cover at my local Half Price Books a couple weeks ago. I passed on it then because I was short on cash and had just planned on killing some time. Predictably, it was gone when I went back a couple days ago. I should have bought it.

One of these days, I'm going to get a copy of that book. Then I'm going to do my damnedest to get the signatures of everyone liste din the credits.

-paws

Kicking myself.

Apathy
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 28 2009, 08:28 AM) *
Bob, if you're out there, I still have your vacuum cleaner.

Putting together a team to liberate Bob's vacuum cleaner from the nefarious clutches of the Nezumi corporation.
deek
I still have all my SR1 books...about 8 of them in all, core, Street Samurai, Rigger, Sprawl Sites, Virtual Realities, Harlequin...off the top of my head.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 28 2009, 07:28 AM) *
HB is apparently a great run. I've never run it myself. However, because it's SR2, it's easily portable to your SR3 games, which is also very good (SR1 is very difficult to run in SR3).

Conversion from SR1 to SR2 was pretty straight forward from what I remember. There was a short method on how to do it in the back of the SR2BBB.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon @ Apr 28 2009, 12:19 AM) *
I gotta say, WR, as well as you "get" Shadowrun (the origins, the intended feel, the REAL Shadowrun biggrin.gif), I'm extremely surprised that you're just now getting a copy of SR1.

Historically, I haven't had any income. That's a big part of why I tended to not buy anything, ever. But now that I actually have some, I can buy 1st edition SR books from used book stores.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012