Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions for geas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Catsnightmare
Under the new errata rulings I have a sorcerer initiate character who soon be forced to take a geas to compensate for magic loss.

I can't take gesturing since it's already taken as a centering skill (Tai Chi katas), so I'm open to suggestions, and ideas.
toturi
Fetish... fetishes for everything...
Zazen
You can use gesturing to center even if you're using it to fulfill a geas. Nothing should stop you from using your Tai Chi Katas.
Siege
Any background on this sorcerer?

-Siege
Fortune
And in what way is he 'forced' to take a Geas?
mfb
geas (worrying): "what am i going to do for a geas? oh, man, i'm in trouble if i don't think of something..."
Catsnightmare
He's one of those quirky, intelligent creative types, very artisticly creative, and has a penchant for playing cards and tarot cards, and card tricks and sleight of hand. He designs his own expendable spell foci in the form of cards with his own image designs and hodge-podge of magic symbols (Chaos mage). He's already intiated once and has the karma to do so again (just hasn't got the downtime yet). He practices Tai Chi (with the Focus Will maneuver, to help deal with spirits since he can't banish). He's also an active multiple-media artist (Art skill of 5), draws, paints, dabbles in sculpture.

He's forced as a requirement by his initiatory group.
Fortune
You listed a lot of things that could easily be used as Geasa.
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
He's forced as a requirement by his initiatory group.

As in, this is a special stricture you came up with?
toturi
I think it is the Geasa stricture MitS p 63.
Fortune
Ah, that's cool. I've seen people mistake the 'can't voluntarily discard a Geas' bit to mean 'have to take a Geas anytime magic is lost', which isn't the same thing at all. smile.gif
Dingus_McGee
Seeing as how your character is good at legerdemain/prestidigitation, you could have him need a deck of playing/tarot/whatever cards on hand and do card tricks/throw cards when using magical skills.

Or maybe vocalization/chanting could be another idea, actually use those extra languages a little more often......

I once took Obvious Magic as a house-ruled, home-made geas for a mage that had a cyberarm. We ruled that all magicla skills/spells were easily visible to mundanes. All of my spells were visible. They could see me conjure spirits. They could see my spirit leave my body when I projected (I was always manifested while projecting, too).

My character was psychologically-scarred because he had an obvious cyberarm, and was ridiculed in the local Awakened community. His obvious deformity led to obvious magic......
Shockwave_IIc
Since were on the subject.

What is the difference between a Voluntary Geas and an Involuntary one?

Voluntary- Taking one to reduce the cost of your adept powers
yes/ no?

Involuntary- Taking one to off set magic loss (which seems to be somewhat Voluntary to me)

For Catsnightmare character couldn't he extend the gesturing geas to gesturing with his playing cards so as simple hand/ arm waving will nolonger do it?
Zazen
I still say your Tai Chi Katas are the way to go. You already have a magical connection to them, after all.
Cain
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Since were on the subject.

What is the difference between a Voluntary Geas and an Involuntary one?

Voluntary- Taking one to reduce the cost of your adept powers
yes/ no?

Involuntary- Taking one to off set magic loss (which seems to be somewhat Voluntary to me)

Somewhat.

A voluntary geas is one that you take on when nothing's forcing you to. For example, the Geas Ordeal is considered a voluntary geas; you can't ever lose it through initiations. Voluntary geasa are the ones that have no penalties for picking another alternative.

An involuntary one is like what you described. It's still your choice to take one or not, but if you don't, you lose Magic forever. It's a "take it or else" kind of situation.

Back on topic-- There's nothing preventing you from taking Gesture as your geas, and combining it with your Tai Chi for centering. You can also choose Talisman (any of your character's lucky items would fit the bill) or Incantation, although for him Talisman seems to be the best bet.
Catsnightmare
Yes it is the geas stricture, since you couldn't geas bioware previously it wasn't an issue before. Though with the (IC) developement of magical techniques to compensate for magic resistance, he will probably have to learn it (take a geas)

Talisman geas was my first option, since he does actually have a ring taken as souvenier from when he first discovered his talent that he has turned into a fetish for some of his spells. The problem is my GM's have voiced their dislike of the talisman geas specifically so there's a chance I may not be allowed that option.

I've also considered his art skill as well. Since he is highly literate in Japanese, Chinese, and German (including Norse Runes), I thought about haveing him draw as a center. Possibly drawing a quick runic or oriental symbol on a pad or on a surface with chalk.

Siege
There is a historical precedent in Asian mythology like scroll magic and in the Norse tradition of Rune magic.

-Siege
Catsnightmare
Exactly, having seen the drawn paper talismans used in several anime shows, I thought it would tie in well with this character's card-theme.
simonw2000
If your character wears glasses, that could be a geas...
Catsnightmare
Been there, done that with my physad/cleaner character. He's nearsighted and his glasses serve as the talisman for the voluntary geas on his improved perception power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012