Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Feed back
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Travaler
This a character I posted about before -------->http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=26257

so now it is complete and here is the link to Google Docs where I publishe it

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddrvhx96_12drmr3zf3

it's built with all books on a base of 450BP(up to 225BP for attributes) amd a max of 40/40 qualities

any feedback or criticism?
Windling
Maybe it's my computer, but I can't locate the link to the finished character you want reviewed.
Travaler
Strange ... I must have forgotten to add it.

so here it is

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddrvhx96_12drmr3zf3

(also edited main post to add it in)
Blind Guardian
Several things jumped out at me when going through your build. You have a note underneath your augmentations that says:

"* Second Hand: -20% on all cyberware essence costs. (Figured in)"

According to page 23 of Augmentation, Second had cyberware costs an additional 20% essence, reduces availability by 1, and halves the cost. You're paying more essence for a cheaper nuyen cost, just as alphaware causes less essence loss in return for costing more money.

Thus, you're going to need to recalculate your essence expenditures accordingly and figure out whether you can still afford all of those augmentations. Your second hand move-by-wire 2 should cost 3.6 essence, reduced to 3.24 by the biocompatibility quality, and then to 2.916 by the Adapsin treatment instead of the 2.88 you have listed on the sheet. Similarly, the second-hand alpha Cybereyes rating 3 should have an essence cost of .432, which works out to .3499 after the biocompatibility and Adapsin are applied.

Page 90 of Augmentation states that "Adapsin is new to the market in 2070 and should not be available at character creation." I assume that your GM is OK with it via your use of the restricted gear positive quality.

In your active skills, you've spent 18 BP on Con 2 with a specialization, Ettiquette, and Negotiation. You might want to consider whether you can scrounge up 2 BP from elsewhere and just take the Influence skill group at rating 2, or narrow your focus and to give yourself a larger dice pool in one area. You'll lose the con specialization, but it's not exactly going to be easy for a purple-skinned Oni changeling with silver hair and a balance tail to credibly impersonate somebody else.

Don't forget that your character is going to be facing penalties for Distinctive Style, anyway, so it's better to focus on stealth and not being seen in the first place when he's carrying out assassinations than to bluff his way past people and hope they don't remember him later (they'll have +3 dice to remember him and also to tests to track him down via legwork afterwards). With a charisma of 2 (1 during daylight hours) and low social skills, he's not going to be very convincing at blending in. Also remember that language skills cap successes with social tests, so even throwing 6 dice in a con(impersonation) test, you're capped at 2 successes if your character is speaking English, which he'll be doing a lot of in Seattle. Your character does have a decent skill with disguise, but personally, I'd rather be using his infiltration skill than putting him into situations that he's going to have to talk his way through.

That's what jumps out at me from a cursory inspection. There may be other issues, but that's all the time I have at the moment.
Travaler
Thanks for the feedback biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Blind Guardian @ Apr 29 2009, 07:21 AM) *
Several things jumped out at me when going through your build. You have a note underneath your augmentations that says:

"* Second Hand: -20% on all cyberware essence costs. (Figured in)"

According to page 23 of Augmentation, Second had cyberware costs an additional 20% essence, reduces availability by 1, and halves the cost. You're paying more essence for a cheaper nuyen cost, just as alphaware causes less essence loss in return for costing more money.

Thus, you're going to need to recalculate your essence expenditures accordingly and figure out whether you can still afford all of those augmentations. Your second hand move-by-wire 2 should cost 3.6 essence, reduced to 3.24 by the biocompatibility quality, and then to 2.916 by the Adapsin treatment instead of the 2.88 you have listed on the sheet. Similarly, the second-hand alpha Cybereyes rating 3 should have an essence cost of .432, which works out to .3499 after the biocompatibility and Adapsin are applied.

the way I see it is like so:
Move by Wire R2 =3 Essence
x1.2 for second hand =3.6 Essence
x0.8 for Biocompatibility + Adapsin=2.88
(the description for the above stated modifiers is that they are cumulative with the other mode which means you add then up ....no?)

Page 90 of Augmentation states that "Adapsin is new to the market in 2070 and should not be available at character creation." I assume that your GM is OK with it via your use of the restricted gear positive quality.

1st of we are playing at 2072 so that two years past the Augmentation book, and he just recently acquired it (see background) ,and I did take restricted gear for it.....but I guess I should bring it up with my GM just in case he missed it and would like to rule otherwise.

In your active skills, you've spent 18 BP on Con 2 with a specialization, Ettiquette, and Negotiation. You might want to consider whether you can scrounge up 2 BP from elsewhere and just take the Influence skill group at rating 2, or narrow your focus and to give yourself a larger dice pool in one area. You'll lose the con specialization, but it's not exactly going to be easy for a purple-skinned Oni changeling with silver hair and a balance tail to credibly impersonate somebody else.

Don't forget that your character is going to be facing penalties for Distinctive Style, anyway, so it's better to focus on stealth and not being seen in the first place when he's carrying out assassinations than to bluff his way past people and hope they don't remember him later (they'll have +3 dice to remember him and also to tests to track him down via legwork afterwards). With a charisma of 2 (1 during daylight hours) and low social skills, he's not going to be very convincing at blending in. Also remember that language skills cap successes with social tests, so even throwing 6 dice in a con(impersonation) test, you're capped at 2 successes if your character is speaking English, which he'll be doing a lot of in Seattle. Your character does have a decent skill with disguise, but personally, I'd rather be using his infiltration skill than putting him into situations that he's going to have to talk his way through.

That's what jumps out at me from a cursory inspection. There may be other issues, but that's all the time I have at the moment.

This reacquires more though from me.
It was actually "Influence skill Group" 2 before and I decided to break it down and after reallocating the points and adding Intimidation[Physical] I ended with 2 points to spare which I sent the Contact way) ( wander if the GM will allow me to switch leadership with Intimidation for the Influence skill Group

but in general he wasn't always a Changeling and in Japan (where he came from) there were a majority of Oni (in the Ork population) so the way I see it he would have developed this skills
as well as the fact that his Impersonation is not meant to impersonate a specific individual so much as the impersonation of a position....
I.E. ....ee sorry mister I'm just the Janitor and....em I come clean later..yes (acting a bit stupid and timid) and so on.

((and just as a nitpick..it's Black Hair nyahnyah.gif))
Blind Guardian
QUOTE (Travaler @ Apr 29 2009, 11:49 AM) *
the way I see it is like so:
Move by Wire R2 =3 Essence
x1.2 for second hand =3.6 Essence
x0.8 for Biocompatibility + Adapsin=2.88
(the description for the above stated modifiers is that they are cumulative with the other mode which means you add then up ....no?)

Now I see where your problem is. Biocompatibility only reduces essence costs by 10%, not 20%. See page 20 of Augmentation. Since your character's essence is already down to .8, you're going to have to be very careful about the math and perhaps lose some of your augmentations so that you don't end up bottoming out.

...but I guess I should bring it up with my GM just in case he missed it and would like to rule otherwise.

You should definitely check with your GM about this.

his Impersonation is not meant to impersonate a specific individual so much as the impersonation of a position....
I.E. ....ee sorry mister I'm just the Janitor and....em I come clean later..yes (acting a bit stupid and timid) and so on.

OK, I can see where you're coming from now a little better, but just remember that Con is an opposed test, and with a low charisma and a low language skill, he's still going to have a hard time getting more net successes than the people he's trying to con. The odds are that people are going to doubt that he really is the janitor, and they're going to have an easy time remembering him later.

((and just as a nitpick..it's Black Hair nyahnyah.gif))

My bad. I got the lines for hair and eyes mixed up. More later once I get home from work tonight.
Travaler
Now I see where your problem is. Biocompatibility only reduces essence costs by 10%, not 20%. See page 20 of Augmentation. Since your character's essence is already down to .8, you're going to have to be very careful about the math and perhaps lose some of your augmentations so that you don't end up bottoming out.

no..
what I meant when I applied the x0.8 is that Biocompatibility (10% discount ) Plus Adapsin(10% discount) equal to 20% discount or x0.8 (if it was an alpha I would multiply it by 0.6 [10%+10%+20%=40%] since it says that the modifiers are cumulative and add up to each other.
so second hand "cyber Eye" Alpha will be
[0.4 x 1.2]x0.6=0.288
not
[0.4x1.2]x0.9x0.9x0.8=0.31104

again thank you for the comments
Blind Guardian
QUOTE (Travaler @ Apr 29 2009, 01:57 PM) *
no..
since it says that the modifiers are cumulative and add up to each other.

Do you have a page citation for that? That's not my understanding of how it works. The entry for Adapsin says that:

QUOTE (Arsenal, page 90)
This reduction is in addition to reductions from alpha-, beta- or delta-grade cyberware.

And the entry for the biocompatibility positive quality states:

QUOTE (Arsenal, page 20)
In game terms, the Essence Cost of implants of the particular chosen type are reduced by 10 percent.

I don't see anything about these qualities being added to one another before they're applied, so it's always been interpreted that the reductions are applied separately in games I've been a part of. Check with your GM and get a definitive ruling on the math.
Blind Guardian
The other thing I've noticed now that I'm looking at your sheet again is that you have a group of skillsoft crackers as a group contact, which I imagine you intend to use to give your character a handy source of skillsofts for that skillwire system that came with your Move-By-Wire. However, your character has no computer skills whatsoever, so that means that it's going to be rather difficult for you to search for the skillsofts you need on their node when you're in need of a crucial skill. Your GM will be well within his/her rights for you to demand that you justify how your character knows this group and has achieved a loyalty level of 3 with them when he is clearly not a hacker type himself. And since that you aren't going to be able to help them crack skillsofts and contribute to their library of warez, your GM is also going to be justified in demanding that your character do other sorts of favors for the group as a payment for downloading software from their node. Your GM may also justifiably limit how much you're allowed to download per favor done. Otherwise it becomes incredibly unbalanced in game that you can just get whatever skill you want whenever you want it.

The other thing I'm not clear on is how you calculated some of your dice pools in your active skills, and would appreciate an explanation of what I'm missing.

Under climbing, you have an attribute of 5 and a skill level of 2, but your final dice pool is 13. I'm not clear on where the other 6 dice are coming from.

Similarly, with your Gymnastics score, you have an attribute of 9 and a skill of two, but your dice pool is listed at 12 instead of 11.

Under infiltration, your attribute is 9 and skill is 3, but your dice pool is listed at 16. I see a note at the bottom of the active skills that you have a +4 dice pool modifier for skills involving balance, so I'm wondering if this is what was applied. This is something else that you should check with your GM about, since I believe that the +4 modifier would not apply to all tests for the skill, but only those where maintaining one's balance is situationally appropriate.
ArkonC
Actually, the devs (or one of them) said you just add all modifiers together in one and apply that one...
So -20 +10 +10 = no change in Essence cost...
Wasabi
QUOTE (ArkonC @ May 1 2009, 05:21 AM) *
Actually, the devs (or one of them) said you just add all modifiers together in one and apply that one...
So -20 +10 +10 = no change in Essence cost...

This seriously skews numbers. Could you pretty-please crosslink where they posted that or mentioned it in some devchat/errata?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012