Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Companion advance lifestyle and starting cash
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Travaler
Runner Companion advance lifestyle and starting cash... is it covered any were?lets say I have a lifestyle score of 7 (C:2; E:0; NES:3; NEI:1; S:3) what do I rule for starting cash? Squatter? Low? something else?
ElFenrir
I haven't found the hard and fast rule here, but what I did for my games is raise or lower the amount a bit depending on the lifestyle.

For example, a character has 8,000 a month in Lifestyle, or 18 points. It's lower than High, but higher than Middle. It's a bit closer to High, though.

High was 4d6x500 starting cash. I took away 100 of the multiplier for each level down-so 4d6x400 for 9,000 a month, 4d6x300 for 8000, 4d6x200 for 7,000, 4d6x100 for 6,000 and the regular Middle(IMO, they are so close at that point it's cool to go ahead and overlap.)

It seems a bit more difficult to do with Low-Squatter, since the difference is smaller, though I could probably say 9-10 LP are 4d6x50, 7-8 are 4d6x40, 6-7 are x30, with Squatter(5) x20. 5 to 1 drops in bits of 5 nuyen. 20 LP to 31 LP goes up in bits of 50 nuyen.

If there is an actual rule here somewhere, someone should post it, however, but this is how I play things.
Stingray
QUOTE (Travaler @ Apr 29 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Runner Companion advance lifestyle and starting cash... is it covered any were?lets say I have a lifestyle score of 7 (C:2; E:0; NES:3; NEI:1; S:3) what do I rule for starting cash? Squatter? Low? something else?

Lifestyle and Starting cash:
0 points Street
1-5 points Squatter
6-10 points Low
11-15 points Middle
16-20 points High
21-30 points Luxury

30+ Luxury (Add 25 000 yen per additional level)

Starting money table is in p.86 BBB smile.gif
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Travaler @ Apr 29 2009, 03:36 AM) *

Adam and I (who wrote the chapter) agreed that starting cash is benchmarked from the level equal to or lower than your score. So for a LP of 7, you would get the Squatter starting cash. So...

0-4: Street
5-9: Squatter
10-14: Low
15-19: Middle
20-29: High
30+: Luxury

I know, I know, we totally missed putting that in there. embarrassed.gif It'll make it in the 2nd printing.
Muspellsheimr
I cannot find it at the moment, but at least one of the developers/freelancers (I forget which one, but I think it was probably Synner) has previously stated that starting Nuyen with Advanced Lifestyle rules is as Stingray describes, not as you describe Tiger Eyes. Until now, that has been the only ruling on it to my knowledge - any chance you could double-check this ruling for us?

It was also said, I believe in the same post, that Lifestyle Qualities do not affect your lifestyle for purposes of starting Nuyen, so a lifestyle with 10 points in the 5 standard categories, & 7 points in positive qualities, is treated as 17 points for monthly upkeep, it is still only Low for starting funds.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Apr 29 2009, 08:50 AM) *
I cannot find it at the moment, but at least one of the developers/freelancers (I forget which one, but I think it was probably Synner) has previously stated that starting Nuyen with Advanced Lifestyle rules is as Stingray describes, not as you describe Tiger Eyes. Until now, that has been the only ruling on it to my knowledge - any chance you could double-check this ruling for us?

It was also said, I believe in the same post, that Lifestyle Qualities do not affect your lifestyle for purposes of starting Nuyen, so a lifestyle with 10 points in the 5 standard categories, & 7 points in positive qualities, is treated as 17 points for monthly upkeep, it is still only Low for starting funds.

I'm pretty sure it was me, ruling the way I stated. But I haven't had any caffeine this morning, and my youngest decided 3 AM was the perfect time to wake up and want to have a long discussion on the various strategies that can be applied to Lego: Star Wars... So if I ruled the other way previously, then, I blame my 4 year old. nyahnyah.gif

And yes, you are correct on the second part. Lifestyle Qualities do not affect starting nuyen.

Gah, this was a topic before, but it's been months and months, so my search-fu has failed me. Again, I blame my 4 year old.
Malachi
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 29 2009, 08:32 AM) *
my youngest decided 3 AM was the perfect time to wake up and want to have a long discussion on the various strategies that can be applied to Lego: Star Wars...

rotfl.gif
Travaler
So if I diregard the lifestyle qualities I took then my life score will be 9

which would mean ....number 1 or 2?

1.Low..: 3d6x50
2.Squatter..:2d6x20
ElFenrir
According to Stingray's chart, Low.

Seemed like I made more trouble for myself than I even needed. I just figured if you pay more or less, you should get more or less, but rounding it in simplicity is good, too. smile.gif
paws2sky
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 29 2009, 10:32 AM) *
[snip]my youngest decided 3 AM was the perfect time to wake up and want to have a long discussion on the various strategies that can be applied to Lego: Star Wars...

Been there, done that.
I feel your pain... or grogginess, as the case may be.

-paws
crizh
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 29 2009, 03:32 PM) *
And yes, you are correct on the second part. Lifestyle Qualities do not affect starting nuyen.

Can I just pipe up here to say that I think that this is a stupid ruling.

Lifestyle Qualities are not the problem with Advanced Lifestyles and starting cash. Room-mates are.

There's nothing to stop a player buying a High Lifestyle with dozens of room-mates, imagine the Playboy mansion if you will, for virtually nothing to generate a great big wedge of starting cash and then immediately ditching it in play and spoofing something a bit more Shadowrunner with all the Lifestyle Qualities they actually wanted but couldn't take because of that ruling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012