Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Other" SURGE qualities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
paws2sky
So, on pg 110 of Runner's Companion, there is a small list of "other" positive and negative qualities that a character might acquire through SURGE.

Are these subject to the usual limitations listed in the quality's description?

Specifically, can an adept or mystic adept SURGE the Astral Sight quality? I'm assuming, for now, that the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

-paws

PS Yes, I tried Search. dead.gif
Muspellsheimr
While the means of obtaining them through SURGE are slightly different, the qualities function as written, including all restrictions.
The Jake
The whole point of SURGE is that it is largely GM adjudicated. While the book is very prescriptive what is in and out, I think SURGE is intended to be open to interpretation.

As a GM, I would definitely allow it so long as it fit a theme.

- J.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (The Jake @ Apr 29 2009, 06:57 AM) *
The whole point of SURGE is that it is largely GM adjudicated.

No more so than any other racial option in Runners Companion, which in every game I have played in means no more than any other racial option.

It does not matter how you obtain any given quality - unless there is a specific exception written, it follows all the rules for that quality. You cannot take a quality through SURGE if you already have something preventing you from taking said quality. Nor can you take a quality only allowed once, twice, through SURGE & 'normal' methods (such as Biocompatability).
Caadium
I would say that if the quality has something prohibiting you from taking it then that holds true even if you try to take it via SURGE. Bear in mind, there are SURGE qualities with limitations on them. SURGE is just Darwin's Grab Bag of Meta-humanity as for traits; not the instant exception to limitations and rules.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Caadium @ Apr 29 2009, 01:36 PM) *
I would say that if the quality has something prohibiting you from taking it then that holds true even if you try to take it via SURGE. Bear in mind, there are SURGE qualities with limitations on them. SURGE is just Darwin's Grab Bag of Meta-humanity as for traits; not the instant exception to limitations and rules.

It's better than Alpha Omega at least. "We did a genetic recombination of you with a cuttlefish. You hide better now."

Of course, Alpha Omega has genetic deviations that make sense such as having Level 1 Muscular System (you punch harder) or a Level -1 Skeletal System (falling damage hurts more). Each system has -2 to +2, 0 being average (a few don't have level 2, and I think there is one with a 3). "Elim" deviations (elim being angels and demons) have things like wings, tail, horns, claws, and fast regeneration ("Oh, your mother was an angel. Literally. Hence the fluffy wings, son. Don't get teased at school!").
hazemyth
Does anyone else think that the Other Metagenetic Qualities list was a bit limited? Some qualities, like Catlike or Hawk Eye, would seem like naturals for this category.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012