Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 MUX!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Larme
Hey, does anyone remember how Shadowrun Seattle MUX was making the transition from SR3 to SR4? And remember how after several years of waiting, everyone kind of gave up?

Well guess what? It actually did open. After years of waiting, the MUX is in the alpha stage -- the codebase is pretty much a shell, and there are no official GMs, but it's got a chargen system, and a dice roller, and a grid, and what more do you need?

If you're one of those people who really want to play SR4 but you don't have a local gaming group, please head on over! The URL is http://www.newseattle.org/. The link at the bottom to "The Wild West" will take you to the pages specific to the Alpha game. Be sure to create a login for the forums, and check the posts in the Wild West section, that's where you'll find plots that people are wanting to run. The game is player driven at the moment, which means that anyone who feels like can step up and GM a session, and GMing often rotates between people. It's not too well populated yet, but don't get discouraged -- if we can spread the word through forums like Dumpshock, people will start coming! The important thing is to come with a can-do attitude, since everything is player driven, don't be afraid to make stuff happen instead of waiting for someone else to do it!

P.S.
It's called The Wild West because there are no staffers running around making us behave. It's still set in Seattle, and it follows the regular SR4 rules.

(I hope that this is in the right forum, apologies if it has to be moved embarrassed.gif)
Neraph
Super-awsome. I played both Awake 2062 and Awakened Worlds, but they were wierd (and 3rd Ed - nothing wrong with that but I've never owned/read a 3rd Ed book).
Mr. Bane
It only took them 7 f'n years.

But really, this isn't any sort of achievement. They finally just gave up the ghost and realized the crap they wanted was never going to happen.

It's basically OpenRPG or IRC.
Larme
Hey, thanks for the bump and... being a civilized human being? :x

The game is still in Alpha. There is significantly more code in place than an IRC client, including a web based chargen system and a sheet and inventory system, as well as a complete grid for the Redmond Barrens.

Some day it will be more finished and will open for Beta, but who needs more than that? Now is the time for you to make that wild and wacky character your meat GM won't let you, like a Naga or something, because there is no staff required sheet approval. Or hell, just come online to get your SR4 fix. You don't have to listen to Bane, for the following reasons: he has 6 posts, and he has bad manners.
Mr. Bane
1. I used to have a different account.

2. I used to fucking code for them. I know what the hell I'm talking about.

3. I've been in the Shadowrun MU* community for a long god damn time.

This is literally no worse or better than OpenRPG or an IRC. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But since you seem intent on trying to knock me, why don't you tell us how long they've been in "Alpha".
Mr. Bane
http://forum.newseattle.org/index.php/topic,87.0.html

Four years. Four years for what amounts to Notepad sheets, gear listings, and a really really poorly done PHP chargen that links to a MySQL database. Edit to add: And a wordpress blog.

Woop.
Larme
They have only been open for a few months. For most of that time, "alpha" meant that they did not have enough code in place to let people play. Now they do. They have not been in the same stage for four years, there has been steady, if slow, progress.

If you wanted to convey that there was nothing wrong with having a basic skeleton of an RPG online, why did you say that it wasn't an achievement, and that the game would never open for real? You sure sound like you're trying to knock the game, and now you're the victim because I'm intent on trying to knock you? Pray tell, if you weren't being so hostile, what possible reason would I have to knock you? And don't point to my post on the matrix rules thread, because I responded to this one first.

The logical conclusion is clear: the only reason I would want to attack you is because I perceive you to be on the attack against something that I like and support. If you're not on the attack, by all means, say so. It's hard to gauge tone on the internet, and I'll be the first to admit when I misjudged someone. A word to the wise, though: dropping F bombs makes you sound hostile, not detached and rational.
Mr. Bane
the only reason I would want to attack you is because I perceive you to be on the attack against something that I like and support.

What are you, 14?
DireRadiant
Cool it guys.

Let people make their own judgments about the MUX.

I know I loved my time playing and being an admin there, despite the Irish Lesbian Mafia, and it's just a shame I don't have time to squeeze playing on the MUX in my schedule.
Mr. Bane
Elfbian. Not irish. There was never an Irish Lesbian Mafia. It was the Elfbian Mafia.

But really, I didn't even point out any of the historically bad things that have taken place at that MUX. The cheating, the drama, the down right ignorance. Do you want to know why they switched from SR3 to SR4? Because no one was playing anymore. That should be your biggest hint.
Larme
This is all very much off topic. The topic is: guess what, there's an SR4 MUX open now! People can judge for themselves whether it's worth playing or not, it doesn't take much time or effort to log on and say hi, and we're the only game in town. The #1 thing we need is people, once we have a significant playerbase I think that plots and events will start to become more regular.

To everyone who wants to drag MUX politics into this: please start your own thread and don't hijack mine. This is not a thread about MUXing in general, and it's not a thread about Old Seattle. This is about the new SR4 MUX, and trying to get people interested in playing. It would be a shame if anyone let one guy's personal vendetta deter them from having a good time on what is currently the only SR4 MUX in existence. I'd like to assure everyone that this kind of trolling is NOT present on the MUX, it's a friendly environment no matter who might jeer from the sidelines.
DireRadiant
Irish. Elves. Lots of overlap in SR. Who can blame me for being confused?

MUXing can be a lot of immersion RP fun. If only I didn't have to work.
Mr. Bane
If only I didn't have to work.

Don't worry, since it's a MUX then you'll probably be working anyways. Instead of working for money you'll be working for fun. Yaaaaaaay.
crash2029
I hate to sound like an idiot but what the hell is a MUX?
Bull
QUOTE (crash2029 @ May 28 2009, 06:41 PM) *

Multi User... Something. I know MUD was Multi User Dungeon, MUSH was Multi User Shared Hallucination. basically, text based gaming platform. Often with some basic coding for combat, gear, and the like. Precursors to MMO's.
Bull
And to put on the mod hat...

Knock it off, drop the attitudes, and drop the personal attacks and flaming.
Cardul
QUOTE (crash2029 @ May 28 2009, 05:41 PM) *

Multi User eXperiment...
But, MUSH, MUCK, and MUX are all pretty much the same thing(MUD is basicly just text wow): RP oriented text environments.
Mr. Bane
On the surface MUSH, MUX, and MUCK are similar.

MUDs have more libraries devoted to WoW type gaming, but that doesn't stop them from roleplaying.

MUCKs are generally geared towards furries.

MUX and MUSH are specific branches of the MUSH family.
crash2029
Ah. *Wanders away looking slightly less confused*
blackcitadel9
I'll certainly check it out at the very least. Thanks for the heads up.
Larme
Hooray! Two potential players have replied, one troll has been vanquished, confusion about MU*s has been cleared up, and many many people have seen the thread!

Got any questions about the MUX? You can reply, or PM me! I'm not an admin or anything, but as the admins don't seem to frequent Dumpshock much, I'm volunteering to serve as the contact.

http://www.newseattle.org/ Don't forget to check the forums for info on current plots and such!

PS
I'm really not sure whether it's a MUSH, or MUX, or whatever. It actually uses rhost, which allows you to configure your interface like you were playing a MUSH or MUCK or whatever the heck you're used to. I don't really understand it myself, but I think the crazy powerful codebase is one reason why it's taken so many bloody years to open.
Mr. Bane
Rhost is just another branch of the MUSH family, written by someone with (surprise) way too much ego.

For OS geeks, Rhost is comparable to Slackerware. AKA, "coders" who think "starting from 0 and having far to many options" makes you "hardcore". For RPG geeks, Rhost is...Living Steel. Yeah.

But it's no more "powerful" than any other server sub-service in the MUSH family.

one troll has been vanquished

Bwahah...You are 14.
Mr. Bane
Dumpshock Forums TOS

By posting to the Dumpshock Forums (DSF), you agree to and consent to follow the following rules. Failure to comply with these rules may result in a temporary or permanent suspension of your account.

Rules

1. Personal attacks, flaming, trolling, and baiting are prohibited. This includes any form of racism, sexism or religious intolerance.

one troll has been vanquished

It would be a shame if anyone let one guy's personal vendetta deter them from having a good time on what is currently the only SR4 MUX in existence. I'd like to assure everyone that this kind of trolling is NOT present on the MUX, it's a friendly environment no matter who might jeer from the sidelines.

You don't have to listen to Bane, for the following reasons: he has 6 posts, and he has bad manners.

Has he received his Private Message warning him of baiting? Or was that just for the people who point out bad behavior in Mods?
He literally admits he attacked me.
Larme
Again, I'm grateful for the the bumps, but please don't feed the troll everyone. This thread is supposed to get people interested in playing New Seattle. Please come check us out if you're interested in playing SR4 online!
Redjack
QUOTE (TOS)
1. Personal attacks, flaming, trolling, and baiting are prohibited.

I'm not sure how this is not clear; And for the record I am not only addressing Mr Bane, but Larme as well.

STOP! Let me say that again. STOP!

Let the moderators do the moderating. As has been witnessed, we are human and not perfect, but neither are we tyrants. Generally we are viewed as slow to react because we seek internal consensus before responding to offenders. That said, we are still discussing formal administrative warnings for those who are still unable to abide by the TOS in recent days.

Don't question us about who should and should not have accounts. This is an open board to those who can abide by the TOS. We have an agreed upon policy and procedure for disciplining those who fail to abide by the TOS, hence the difference between PMs sent by a mod (who is also a member) and an Administrative Warning send by a mod as a function of their role.

We welcome debates and conversations about gaming and Shadowrun. We will also oppose those who feel they cannot have a civil discussion. We personally don't care if you don't like the enforced civility of the TOS rule #1. Deal with it or feel free to exercise your right to remain silent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012