Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone operation via Remote Control: All actions require a complex action
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wasabi
QUOTE ("SR4A @ p245, 'Remote Control'")
Controlling a drone is a Complex Action, even if the drone would be performing a Simple Action such as firing a semi-automatic weapon or using the Take Aim action.

As brought up in a separate thread by Larme and Octopii, even using Remote Control for dodging in vehicle combat is a complex action meaning TM's need to rethink using Command to operate a vehicle/drone. So that got me thinking... Machine Sprites can get autosofts as Optional CF's [SR4A, p242] but how do they use them? By "Jumping In", perhaps? Quite so, although the book has a cut-and-paste error contradicting where in two places it says a control rig is NOT necessary.

The gear entry for Rigger Adaptation says a Control Rig is necessary ["Rigger Adaptation: When added to a vehicle, this "black box"? allows a character with a control rig (p. 338) to rig the vehicle", SR4A p348] but then earlier in the book it explicitly says a Control Rig is not necessary ["Anyone can use VR to jump into a drone", SR4A p245] which is also seen elsewhere in SR4A, "Rigger adaptation allows anyone in VR to jump in to a rigger-adapted device and offers bonuses to any rigger with an implanted control rig." [SR4A p244]

Sprites require a passcode or must exploit themselves into a node per SR4A p241: "The sprite can only access public nodes or private nodes for which it has the passcodes or that it can hack with an Exploit complex form" and Machine Sprite have no option of getting an Exploit CF.

This all wrapped together means a Machine Sprite can "Jump Into" a Rigger Adapted device and use Rating+Skill and normal action times as long as he has a passcode for entry. smile.gif

If I havent failed with my logic thats how TM Rigger's should handle drones now... after all the Every-Remote-Control-Action-Is-a-Complex-Action nerf makes it the only viable option.

EDIT: Thread name should say "TM's with Machine Sprites available have no need for QQ'ing"
DireRadiant
Rigger Adaptation is done to the vehicle.
Control Rig is done to the vehicle operator.
"Jumping In" only requires the Vehicle Operator have VR

To Jump In the Operator needs to be in VR, the Vehicle needs Rigger Adaptation. A sprite is VR.
Octopiii
QUOTE (Wasabi @ May 12 2009, 03:33 AM) *
As brought up in a separate thread by Larme and Octopii, even using Remote Control for dodging in vehicle combat is a complex action meaning TM's need to rethink using Command to operate a vehicle/drone. So that got me thinking... Machine Sprites can get autosofts as Optional CF's [SR4A, p242] but how do they use them? By "Jumping In", perhaps? Quite so, although the book has a cut-and-paste error contradicting where in two places it says a control rig is NOT necessary.

The gear entry for Rigger Adaptation says a Control Rig is necessary ["Rigger Adaptation: When added to a vehicle, this "black box"� allows a character with a control rig (p. 338) to rig the vehicle", SR4A p348] but then earlier in the book it explicitly says a Control Rig is not necessary ["Anyone can use VR to jump into a drone", SR4A p245] which is also seen elsewhere in SR4A, "Rigger adaptation allows anyone in VR to jump in to a rigger-adapted device and offers bonuses to any rigger with an implanted control rig." [SR4A p244]

As DireRadiant pointed out, a VCR does nothing but give you a +2 bonus while jumped in. All that is required to jump into a vehicle is that it has a Rigger Adapation and the user be in VR.

One problematic thing is that a drone is considered a separate node; so to command your sprite to jump into the drone would be a remote service, requiring it to either be registered or to use up all remaining tasks. You're probably better off using it to Remote Operate. A force 5 sprite would only have one autosoft, and will likely have a better dice pool use to use it remotely than to be jumped in (Command 5 + Autosoft 5 v. Sensor 3/4 + Autosoft 5). Also, a continual use of a specific power is only 1 task - so commanding your sprite to "remote operate my Steel Lynx to shoot those guys using your Targeting Autosoft" would be one task.

If you do have a bound Machine sprite, you can do some nasty tricks. Thread up your command cf and have a bound machine sprite sustain it and assist operation your command cf - you can negate the -2 penalty and get a 5 die bonus in addition to what your threaded command cf ended up being. Then, if you have a third task, ask it to remote operate a 2nd drone cyber.gif .

Edit: I've always assumed that Machine Sprites getting optional autosofts was just a way to limit them to drone operation. Being given optional *skills* (such as a Task Spirit) may have been thought too powerful. So I just imagine that by autosoft, the SR Devs intended "Skills they can only use where an Autosoft would be used." Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense.
Wasabi
The sprite tasks description on SR4A p241 says a task is a job and that it can last up to eight hours. No examples are given. I've been operating under the assumption they are treated similarity to a mage's spirits and that engaging in combat while piloting a drone is a single task. As for getting them into the drone its not a task to bring them to standby in your node and an unsubmerged TM can be in multiple nodes at once just not be worth a flip if attacked in his non-primary node.

It also seems legit to command a spirit to "Kill whoever is in the hallway on the other side of this closed door" as a remote service. It wouldnt take one to have the spirit go there and another to fight, you just tell him to fight in a remote place and off he goes. Same with Sprites. I task a sprite to use drone "A" to kill anyone holding a firearm within a compound who isn't a teammate and for eight hours he does. The use of powers and skills and triggerpulling arent themselves a service they are just part of his eight hours of combat under the original, single set of parameters.

And yeah, it would take all remaining services of a Compiled sprite provided you did not have one of your potentially many icons in the drone. Not saying its not without consequences to do so, just that its possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012