Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: about shops and facilitys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
xizor
i was thinking and is the average shop manual with powered tools or is it a computer controled process?

this also brings to mind how much less time it would take to build something using a computerised shop or facility. especily with a data jack or a VCR. biggrin.gif

so are shops/facilitys automated ?
and if they are would it take less time to build
something useing a data jack or a VCR?
Tanka
I think facilities are, but shops are not.
xizor
so could you pay more nuyen to automate a shop?
Fortune
I would think that neither of them come automated as standard. Purchasing an automated shop or facility should (and, in my opinion, would) cost quite a bit more than the base SR3 price.
kevyn668
I dunno about this one. For ease of game play, I'd assume no. But on the other hand I don't see why not.

The main bump in the road is that most Runner operated shops don't stamp out the same thing over and over (most of the time, anyways). Runner shops usually do a lot of custom work. Fix the sam's bike one day, put new sensors in the Condor the next, install minigun on the Yellowjacket, et...

I suppose you could A) re-tool and re-progam your entire shop each time you had a different job. OR B) build a bunch of little robots to help you (Gepedo)

I don't know how difficult the re-tooling would be but re-progaming should be a bitch. Both wold time and nuyen.gif consuming. Get your decker/otaku pal to help you out. smile.gif
BigBlacksmith
If you had lots of nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif to spare, you could always buy a nanoware facility... biggrin.gif
silvermain
yes but be very afraid if the little fraggers find a way of getting free with a food source frown.gif
moosegod
Only if you make self-replicating ones.
mfb
automating a shop or facility is simple. you just pay the cost of a drone pilot and rigger adaption. if they can make fighter jets that fly themselves, i don't see the difficulty involved in making a machine that assembles microtronics.
Birdy
QUOTE (mfb)
automating a shop or facility is simple. you just pay the cost of a drone pilot and rigger adaption. if they can make fighter jets that fly themselves, i don't see the difficulty involved in making a machine that assembles microtronics.

Actually it is quite different. Fighter planes are already computers with minimal user input. They already use (even IRL)

Fly be wire (Translation of steering colum input to electronic orders)
Advanced autopilots
Terrain following systems
Networked electronic components
Standardisized military bus systems

The pilot's basically along for the dogfighting part of the flight and some emergencies. And even parts of that can be done automatically (look up Glas Cockpit / Supercockpit) even today

Facilities (and even more so shops) are more to the garage that services your IRL car with some added electronics for diagnosis and re-programming. The don't come with industrial robots or handling devices and they most likely don't come with convejor belts etc either.

Birdy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012