Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: professional rating?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
So i got my self a good batch of old sr 2 books and I'm reading through them. I keep coming across NPC's with threat/professional rating.
i have heard of this before but i have no idea what it meane in game mechanics?
Chibu
Wow an SR2 question, sweet!

Threat/Professional Rating, by mechanic, Add that many dice to EVERY roll that the NPC makes. It's supposed to be a way to show that the NPC is really good. But when you start to get above a rating of... 2 or 3 it starts to get a little bit crazy. So, if you're making characters that way, make sure to pay attention to the level of the group and keep the rating a bit low. These ratings, i think, were supposed to be the NPC equivalent of Combat Pool.
DireRadiant
It also set the wound level at which they would do morale checks and stop fighting. e.g. Rating 2 would withdraw from a fight once they had received Moderate wounds.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Chibu @ May 15 2009, 10:28 AM) *
Wow an SR2 question, sweet!

Threat/Professional Rating, by mechanic, Add that many dice to EVERY roll that the NPC makes. It's supposed to be a way to show that the NPC is really good. But when you start to get above a rating of... 2 or 3 it starts to get a little bit crazy. So, if you're making characters that way, make sure to pay attention to the level of the group and keep the rating a bit low. These ratings, i think, were supposed to be the NPC equivalent of Combat Pool.

Yes, they functioned as the NPC's the combat pool as I recall.
TKDNinjaInBlack
This also exists in SR4 in close to the same form. It allows GMs to wing NPC stats at times based on how professional of a group they are dealing with. Effectively double the dice pools (roughly triple them with combat skills due to things like smartlinks, specs, attribute augmentations, etc) for skill tests. Their professional rating also shows when a group of goons turns tail and runs depending on what percentage of the group gets geeked or not.

From SR4, p.272

Professional Rating 0 = Untrained (ie a mob) cuts and runs if one quarter go down.
PR 1-2 = Semi trained (street gangs, security guards) cuts and runs if half go down.
PR 3-4 = Trained (bodyguards, mercs, combat vets) cut and run if 3/4 of the group go down.
PR 5-6 = Elite (SWAT members, HTR teams, Spec Ops fanatics) fight till the last one falls.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012