Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Infected
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Misdemeanor
In Runners companion Page 83 it says "Becoming one of the Infected often Triggers Magical Talent." Does this mean that an infected character automaticly gets Magician, Mystic adapt or adept Quality... or Does the infected character get an optional additional critter power? Reading further it makes it seem like it is the first option however it leaves room for clarification
Stahlseele
Infected automagically Get Magic Attribute of 1 but no Magician or Adept Quality, not even a Knack or something.
And if that Magic Attribute ever gets lowered to 0, they lose all their cool Infected Powers. But keep all their Weaknesses.
Or die, i don't know exactly right now.
Ancient History
Sometimes becoming Infected awakens an individual's latent magical ability - so if you had the Latent Awakening quality, this would trigger it. Some varieties of Infected automatically get a magician quality in addition to their other changes, which also reflects this aspect of infection.
Misdemeanor
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 15 2009, 10:54 AM) *
Infected automagically Get Magic Attribute of 1 but no Magician or Adept Quality, not even a Knack or something.
And if that Magic Attribute ever gets lowered to 0, they lose all their cool Infected Powers. But keep all their Weaknesses.
Or die, i don't know exactly right now.

So what does it mean "Becoming one of the Infected often Triggers Magical Talent." It Says this statement then it goes on to Add "If The Character possesses the Latent Awakening Quality, then the GM should pick the appropriate quality and apply it immediatly."
This doesnt seem like these are apart of the same thought
To me is sounds like This may happen and if you have this then this will happen
DireRadiant
Are you asking what happens if someone chooses to create a character who is Infected, or one who becomes Infected during play?

During Character creation the Infected PC will need to buy the positive quality in order be a Mage or Adept(Physical or Mystic).

During play one possibility is that they would need to have bought Latent Magic during character generation, and the Infected Power is teh condition that triggers it becoming the Magician Adept or Mystic Adept quality.
Misdemeanor
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 15 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Are you asking what happens if someone chooses to create a character who is Infected, or one who becomes Infected during play?

During Character creation the Infected PC will need to buy the positive quality in order be a Mage or Adept(Physical or Mystic).

During play one possibility is that they would need to have bought Latent Magic during character generation, and the Infected Power is teh condition that triggers it becoming the Magician Adept or Mystic Adept quality.

I am Running a game and in the game the Mr. Johnson will be a Nosferatu and the target will also be infected...Later in the campaine the Nosferatu May play a large part as the antagonist for the group...As Key character I will have to create them both.
DireRadiant
As NPC you can build them however you like. They could have had Msgician to begin with, or have acquired it with Latent Awakening after they were infected. If the NPC are going to Infect the PCs, the PC should have the Latent Awakening quality in order to become Magicians due to the Infection event.

Or they could be Magicians that became Infected, or started their existence as both Infected or Magicians.

You are not restricted to PC build rules when building NPCs.
Mäx
QUOTE (Misdemeanor @ May 15 2009, 11:00 PM) *
I am Running a game and in the game the Mr. Johnson will be a Nosferatu and the target will also be infected...Later in the campaine the Nosferatu May play a large part as the antagonist for the group...As Key character I will have to create them both.

Then, if you want them to be awakened you have to buy the positive quality.
You can explain that in the background as them awakening when they became infected if you like.
Misdemeanor
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 15 2009, 12:07 PM) *
As NPC you can build them however you like. They could have had Msgician to begin with, or have acquired it with Latent Awakening after they were infected. If the NPC are going to Infect the PCs, the PC should have the Latent Awakening quality in order to become Magicians due to the Infection event.

Or they could be Magicians that became Infected, or started their existence as both Infected or Magicians.

You are not restricted to PC build rules when building NPCs.

I agree Completely...My Table is full of Rules Lawyers and if i give an Infected character something they should not have. they will likely call me out on it. I Also Share GM duties with others and we need to be uniform inorder to start a coheasive story line
DireRadiant
If the NPC follows PC build rules, then they must have the Magician Quality. They don't get this Quality when you get Infected. It needs to be bought separately.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Misdemeanor @ May 15 2009, 10:11 PM) *
I agree Completely...My Table is full of Rules Lawyers and if i give an Infected character something they should not have. they will likely call me out on it. I Also Share GM duties with others and we need to be uniform inorder to start a coheasive story line

That's a very respectable approach O.o
I pity you for the round of rules lawyers.
We can be a pretty big pain in the ass ^^
Also, see the posting of Ancient History.
He literally wrote the Book on most stuff.
Screaming Eagle
What I might argue is that the line "Becoming one of the Infected often Triggers Magical Talent." can qualify you to buy normally "character generation only" magical traits when you are infected, subject to the normal rules for buying edges in play (are there any? I'm at work and can't check, double cost in karma rings a bell for some reason), one time only at the time of succuming to the infection. To limit it a bit futher require an edge point be burned or some sort of hard essence test, which you can burn edge to win at, I'd rather just cut out the middle man and force the edge burn.
Stahlseele
Double Cost in Karma is for getting rid of Flaws in Game.
TBRMInsanity
I would also say if you didn't have the Latent Magical Ability before you become infected then you would gain the quality after being infected.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Page 264 @ BBB)
If the gamemaster chooses, he can "award"? a character with a new positive quality....

The quality does not come for free, however - the character must pay for the quality at a cost equal to twice the quality's BP cost. If the character does not have the Karma to pay for the quality, any new Karma she earns immediately goes to pay off the quality cost; the character may not spend Karma on anything else until it the quality is paid in full.

Twice the BP cost is also the standard for acquired Positive Qualities, Stahlseele.

Edit: Seriously, "smart" quotes are for compatibility newbies.
Screaming Eagle
Well at least I wasn't completly out to lunch... double cost would be 30 Karma on hand when infected for Full Magician, that with the edge burn feels... expensive but fair, not that I would consider a character infected with HMHVV PC matierial, but it might be amusing to engineer a situation in game that leave the PC's able to save someone (preferably a foe) from "A Fate Worse Then Death!" but be too hard to bother with and have it come back to bite them in the buttocks. Thats going in the book... for later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012