Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off-camera
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kerenshara
After some really fascinating and varried responses - not to mention a couple good discussions - in another thread, I got to thinking about something that appears to be something of a "wedge issue" to paraphrase Karl Rove. What do your characters do when they aren't on a run? Is it even an issue? Do you GMs ever bring it up? Does anybody even care? Or do you actually keep track of days and friends who aren't runners and things like birthdays, anniversaries and going clubbing or on a pub crawl? I would love to hear some responses from both sides, although I imagine a lot of the "no" responses will be not much more than a single word. *grins* And maybe not.

To mangle a famous book title: "Do de-sensitized hardened shadowrunners dream of awakened mutant sheep?"
Stahlseele
Usually, i give each character one or two hobbies that they try to have fun with.
Even if it's only drinking beer, having hookers and parties.
Maelstrome
the last 3 characters ive made were leaders of initiatory groups aswell as enchanters. for the most part, the reasons my characters even run is to inspire them for the next enchanting project.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Usually, i give each character one or two hobbies that they try to have fun with.
Even if it's only drinking beer, having hookers and parties.

*Chuckles softly*

Coming from you, I would have been highly dissapointed with any other answer, given the stereotype you're working so assiduously to embody. I AM curious what the "other" hobbies besides the hookers and booze might be.

You DO realize you were born in the wrong century, right? *wink*
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ May 16 2009, 01:54 PM) *
the last 3 characters ive made were leaders of initiatory groups aswell as enchanters. for the most part, the reasons my characters even run is to inspire them for the next enchanting project.

Oh-kay... now that's actually kinda cool... but that's more of a concept. You can't slave over your craft eighteen hours a day. Even Japetto took time off from his beloved craft. That's still rules related. Any pure fluff on the weekends? Or as they asked in the "20 Questions" from Runner's Companion, "It’s Sunday morning, and your character has no commitments until tomorrow afternoon. What does she do for the day?"
Captain Aardvark
Well in my former group we had the Logic 9 hacker that had an extreme interest in trains. And we had the ambulance driver that spent most of his time converting his amculance into a retro 70's loveshack. The origami folding, native american, Sikh, street samurai.
And a couple of NPC contacts that almost became part of the group because they always ended up i trouble because of the between-jobs-antics group.
SincereAgape
Of course. They have to keep their sanity in some way.
BlueMax
*look at the IC marker*

I am an American. Americans never stop working. When not acting as a free agent, running the free clinic "The White Dove" occupies most "down time". When the savages take a break from mutilating my kind, I organize like minded human-itarians. Discussions related to peace and harmony fill the few hours available. Then its back out on a run and into horrible places, side by side with horrible beasts. God may have sent these demons here as a punishment but if I can maneuver them for some good, I have done my job.

The White Dove
Stahlseele
Woodworking for example.
Urban Brawl
Combat Biking.
Combat Golf.
As a Fan and/or active participant.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Captain Aardvark @ May 16 2009, 02:02 PM) *
Well in my former group we had the Logic 9 hacker that had an extreme interest in trains. And we had the ambulance driver that spent most of his time converting his amculance into a retro 70's loveshack. The origami folding, native american, Sikh, street samurai.
And a couple of NPC contacts that almost became part of the group because they always ended up i trouble because of the between-jobs-antics group.

OK, that has just GOT to get bonus points for style! "Love-shack Baaay-beeeee!" THAT's the kind of stuff I love to hear about or see around a table I'm playing at. And yes, I can remember a number of cases where NPCs essentially became honorary party members, or at least a part of the extended family. Thanks for sharing! I got a great chuckle out of this.
Prime Mover
Back in day when we played several days a week with 1st and 2nd edition. We played out alot of downtime love lives, side jobs, family life etc. Now that we only get to game once every two weeks alot of "real life" concerns are handled in short "asides" before and after a game session. As far as quirks and hobbies we have several floating around. The clown hacker complete with doll drone who plays Pony Rancher ™ online. Two addicts who play out there addiction well.
BlueMax
QUOTE (BlueMax @ May 16 2009, 11:03 AM) *
*look at the IC marker*

I am an American. Americans never stop working. When not acting as a free agent, running the free clinic "The White Dove" occupies most "down time". When the savages take a break from mutilating my kind, I organize like minded human-itarians. Discussions related to peace and harmony fill the few hours available. Then its back out on a run and into horrible places, side by side with horrible beasts. God may have sent these demons here as a punishment but if I can maneuver them for some good, I have done my job.

The White Dove

And if things are going really well, I blow off steam (and more) at superdads. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2009, 02:03 PM) *
Woodworking for example.
Urban Brawl
Combat Biking.
Combat Golf.
As a Fan and/or active participant.

*nods*

Yeah, I buy that. Especially the last part.

Wait: woodworking? Now you're pulling my leg! No, it won't come off with a gentle tug. Seriously? That's an awesome idea, I just can't Grok you taking it... would you share the "why" with me? I'm certain it's GOT to be interesting!
Captain Aardvark
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ May 16 2009, 08:06 PM) *
Back in day when we played several days a week with 1st and 2nd edition. We played out alot of downtime love lives, side jobs, family life etc. Now that we only get to game once every two weeks alot of "real life" concerns are handled in short "asides" before and after a game session. As far as quirks and hobbies we have several floating around. The clown hacker complete with doll drone who plays Pony Rancher ™ online. Two addicts who play out there addiction well.

That reminds me of "Gunnar" our hackers Dobberman drone. He customized it so much that it almost became an AI. (Gunnar is a Norwegian name that can sound like the word gunner which is a common RP pun in Norway)
Maelstrome
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ May 16 2009, 07:02 PM) *
Oh-kay... now that's actually kinda cool... but that's more of a concept. You can't slave over your craft eighteen hours a day. Even Japetto took time off from his beloved craft. That's still rules related. Any pure fluff on the weekends? Or as they asked in the "20 Questions" from Runner's Companion, "It’s Sunday morning, and your character has no commitments until tomorrow afternoon. What does she do for the day?"

i wake up get, out my big block o metal, and start sculpting. ive sculpted various statues of paracritters large and small. ive even made a 30 foot Big O model.

or maybe i make instruments and play them. i prefer the brass and wind instruments.

if ive got nothing to do for a few days ill go out in the NAN in my rv and just relax with nature a few days.

if ive just finished a big project or have done something amazing ill go to the meeting hall for my group and celebrate.
Stahlseele
The why?
One of my most beloved Troll-Characters had a more or less indianic upbringing, he likes Blades, he is more or less meant to be a Tribal-Wrrior/Hunter. Fishing is just too . . bleh . . soo woodworking. Wood is around in, well, the woods . . and his hunting knife is there.
Something to do to pass the time with.
Later on, he picked up Origami too.
But he usually used the remains of his beer cans. Much more durable than with paper.
And also around in big enough numbers, being a troll with high body ^^

It usually depends on the Character in question.
Most of my human characters that are done for another style than the combat brute get things like classical music or something like that.
Most orks get Troll Trash Metal/Bands.
If i ever do something japanese or a ki-adept Meditation.
Dwarves mostly Weightlifting
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ May 16 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Back in day when we played several days a week with 1st and 2nd edition. We played out alot of downtime love lives, side jobs, family life etc. Now that we only get to game once every two weeks alot of "real life" concerns are handled in short "asides" before and after a game session. As far as quirks and hobbies we have several floating around. The clown hacker complete with doll drone who plays Pony Rancher â„¢ online. Two addicts who play out there addiction well.

Awesome! One benefit of the internet is that you can handle the "background" stuff by Email and chat easily enough. Oftentimes we have had more fun with that aspect than we did the crunchy bits when we got together officially! But as we get older, that whole "real life" thing keeps getting in the way for some reason. I RP text so much from my BlackBerryTM that I am a Yahoo top-tier power-user: as Bruno the Magnificent might have said "Weeth mai thumbs, yet!"
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Maelstrome @ May 16 2009, 01:13 PM) *
i wake up get, out my big block o metal, and start sculpting. ive sculpted various statues of paracritters large and small. ive even made a 30 foot Big O model.

or maybe i make instruments and play them. i prefer the brass and wind instruments.

if ive got nothing to do for a few days ill go out in the NAN in my rv and just relax with nature a few days.

if ive just finished a big project or have done something amazing ill go to the meeting hall for my group and celebrate.

Now THAT's the spirit! Makes sense, especially the brass and wind since they would be thematically apropriate to your metalworking and crafting.

"Does that mean you've got brass?" *cheeky grin and raised eyebrow*
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Later on, he picked up Origami too.
But he usually used the remains of his beer cans. Much more durable than with paper.
And also around in big enough numbers, being a troll with high body ^^

OK, now I am both impressed and HIGHLY ammused. "Beer Can Origami". Yeah, that's just too funny. Original in my experience, too.

"I knew there was more to you than money!" -Leia Oragana, Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope
Stahlseele
Yeah, all combat monsters need some sort of balancing ^^
Because, you know, SOME TIME, the killing ends. Whether you want it to or not.
And then you have to find something else to do. Not neccessarely to keep you from thinking about it.
But to keep you occupied so you don't cause more trouble than is good for you. for no money.
Maelstrome
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ May 16 2009, 07:19 PM) *
Now THAT's the spirit! Makes sense, especially the brass and wind since they would be thematically apropriate to your metalworking and crafting.

"Does that mean you've got brass?" *cheeky grin and raised eyebrow*

balls of brass.

also in my collections of metal workings is an orichalcum canoe. XP
Octopiii
My middle-aged approaching old Ork ex-merc spends most of his free time happy to have the creature comforts (he lives a high lifestyle): real seafood, trid, and a motorcycle. He's a big fan of Karl Kombat Mage, so much so that he tends to interpret the options that are available on a run through the spectrum of shadowrunning he's seen on tv - he has a lot of combat experience, but virtual nil in the shadows where discretion is necessary. So blowing up a wall to do the job is a valid tactic in his book - hey, Karl did it in Seasons 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8, and they have real life runners as consultants, right? He also researches the Caribbean, both because he wants to retire there, and because he likes to tell people he's from there to indulge his fantasies. Finally, he considers himself a seafood connoisseur, which he is compared to the unwashed masses.

My young anarchist sammy is about as Stereotypical 1st ed Shadowrun as it gets. Sports a mohawk, hates corps, governments, and "the man". He has PTSD from a kidnapping he attempted on the wrong party which went horribly wrong, resulting in the loss of his hands and eyes so he has to stay constantly drugged up on NoFear, which leads him to do incredibly stupid and risky things, which results in further freak outs when his drug wears off, which results in an increased dependence. He likes to pretend to be into metahuman rights and community empowerment, but really he just parties in his off time and spouts off buzzwords to get laid.

My technomancer I have yet to get a chance to use believes he is the next stage of evolution, and the matrix will become the new home of metahumanity which will allow us all to live forever. He has mad matrix combat skillz because he believes that once the matrix begins to encroach on the meat world, there will be a war for its control. Sprites are proof that mankind can become gods if they leave behind their meat and enter the digital - spontaneous generation of sentient life forms proves his theory, after all! When he's not getting uber philosophical, he likes to shoot up noobz and frequent vr brothels - in short, he's a nerd with delusions that his talents make him more important than he is (which sums up about 50% of people on the internet now).

My old Troll mage was a racist who believed in elven conspiracy theories and was an ex-son of sauron who got hung out to dry by the org when the rest of his cell got pinched while he was serving time on a minor charge. He spends his time singing in a troll thrash metal band and using it as a platform to try to get young trogs out of the gang lifestyle and into his brand of metahuman rights, which mainly involves forcible takeovers of buildings squatted by non-trogs and renovating them them to be living quarter/community center/combat training facilities. He's a member of Cascade Ork, and dreams about turning the outer portion of the Redmond barrens into de-facto tribal territory, which he thinks would give him enough clout to take a place on the tribe's council so he can push his views even harder.
Captain Aardvark
QUOTE (Octopiii @ May 16 2009, 10:28 PM) *
My middle-aged approaching old Ork ex-merc spends most of his free time happy to have the creature comforts (he lives a high lifestyle): real seafood, trid, and a motorcycle. He's a big fan of Karl Kombat Mage, so much so that he tends to interpret the options that are available on a run through the spectrum of shadowrunning he's seen on tv - he has a lot of combat experience, but virtual nil in the shadows where discretion is necessary. So blowing up a wall to do the job is a valid tactic in his book - hey, Karl did it in Seasons 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8, and they have real life runners as consultants, right? He also researches the Caribbean, both because he wants to retire there, and because he likes to tell people he's from there to indulge his fantasies. Finally, he considers himself a seafood connoisseur, which he is compared to the unwashed masses.

My old Troll mage was a racist who believed in elven conspiracy theories and was an ex-son of sauron who got hung out to dry by the org when the rest of his cell got pinched while he was serving time on a minor charge. He spends his time singing in a troll thrash metal band and using it as a platform to try to get young trogs out of the gang lifestyle and into his brand of metahuman rights, which mainly involves forcible takeovers of buildings squatted by non-trogs and renovating them them to be living quarter/community center/combat training facilities. He's a member of Cascade Ork, and dreams about turning the outer portion of the Redmond barrens into de-facto tribal territory, which he thinks would give him enough clout to take a place on the tribe's council so he can push his views even harder.

These two rock. Both of these characters would fit perfectly at my table.
Ayeohx
Some nice work there Octo.

Back in the days, at the end of my game sessions I usually asked what the characters were going to be doing until their next run. I encouraged people to work on their skills so they'd have an in game reason for advancement other than completing runs. Some would work on their social life and nurture connections. Some would go party and get wasted. And there's always the guy that wants to track down that next big gun or build a death machine.

This gives me easy material for game sessions. Some times we'd go a few sessions without using the traditional Shadowrun formula; the players would make the game themselves. The rigger needs some drones? Cool, time to go steal some drones. People wanted APDS ammo? Awesome, the hacker finds a shipment coming through loaded with APDS ammo (and a bunch of para-military nut jobs guarding it).
Ayeohx
A quick note:

As a GM I hate leading the group around all of the time. I enjoy it when players take the initiative and say what they'd like to do next. On the flipside though I HATE it when one player wants to do something that's extremely involved but doesn't include the others.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Ayeohx @ May 16 2009, 04:58 PM) *
Some nice work there Octo.

Back in the days, at the end of my game sessions I usually asked what the characters were going to be doing until their next run. I encouraged people to work on their skills so they'd have an in game reason for advancement other than completing runs. Some would work on their social life and nurture connections. Some would go party and get wasted. And there's always the guy that wants to track down that next big gun or build a death machine.

This gives me easy material for game sessions. Some times we'd go a few sessions without using the traditional Shadowrun formula; the players would make the game themselves. The rigger needs some drones? Cool, time to go steal some drones. People wanted APDS ammo? Awesome, the hacker finds a shipment coming through loaded with APDS ammo (and a bunch of para-military nut jobs guarding it).

In a game I have been playing in for nigh on three years straight now, the GM says he loves us, because fully half the time, we tell him what WE'RE going to do that night. He HATES us because that means he's almost always having to make up the opposition on the fly. But this is EXACTLY why good backgrounds and "off-camera" interests and activities can be so valuable. And who knows where the hook for your next big score or wiz contact will find you?
Stahlseele
I have Problems doing Character Background and Connections. True enough.
I do NOT have Problems to give the horribly min/maxed twinked out combat monkey a bit of personality.
I usually try to spin my background as i play.
Some people might frown upon this, saying i am writing in stuff to get an Advantage or something.
They say it as if that were something BAD O.o . .
But if i get an idea or hear something i like/think i can adapt, then i am damn well going to use it <.<
The Woodworking bit for example. The Troll had a Camping Mobile/Yes, the Bison, nice Vehicle).
But it DOES get a bit crowded in there. He himself is a Crowd alone i guess *snickers*
Soo . . big, strong Hunter with a Faible for his Axes and Woodworking Skills . . why not i thought?
What did i think up again now? The idea that he was going to build his very own Block-House.
Out in the Woods. Search for a nice, dense part of the Woods, Cut down some Trees in one place.
Cut down some more trees in the surrounding area. Use them to build a wooden house.
Finally some place to stay at where he does NOT have to duck when going through a door.
And wooden houses are damn hard to find if the entire surrounding area is made from wood.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2009, 04:47 PM) *
I have Problems doing Character Background and Connections. True enough.
I do NOT have Problems to give the horribly min/maxed twinked out combat monkey a bit of personality.
I usually try to spin my background as i play.
Some people might frown upon this, saying i am writing in stuff to get an Advantage or something.
They say it as if that were something BAD O.o . .
But if i get an idea or hear something i like/think i can adapt, then i am damn well going to use it <.<

*grins*
Well, I guess I can't be surprised by any of this. As to spinning "advantage" out during play, tell them to slot themselves. Anything you get "advantaged" in during that scene, any competent GM will take out of your hide next time as payment - with a kiss, of course. And if it helps the storyline along in the mean time?! You go have fun with yo' bad self! If I can't get background, I will settle for a convincing, consistent and organic personality.
The Jake
I try to get my PCs to have a "life" outside of running. It's often very hard to get some players to treat their characters as more than 2D cutouts unfortunately.

Thankfully nearly all my players are making some effort -

The drake mystic adept spends time working with the PC initiatory group and very occasionally, heads out to night clubs and tries to pick up. Also likes forming good relationships with his contacts, including one Lone Star DPI detective that there seems to be a semi-romantic interest but otherwise unexplored for now (that relationship is blossoming and interesting to watch evolve I have to say).
The troll merc spends most of his spare time working on his arms dealing business on the side.
The eagle shapeshifter spends a lot of time with other shapeshifters trying to help them to get used to citylife.
The AI has a friend he is helping investigate a murder which resulting in the loss of said friend's family.
The human hermetic scholar spends time with the PC intiatory group and playing around his enchanting (bit of a book worm).

The only real exception in this group is the human assassin/spy, who at the very least has amnesia and some form of excuse. He has however displayed an interest in Biotech, Nanotech weaponry and Genetic Engineering and begun studying in interest (even if its only to find new/creative ways to geek people - its at least something).

In past campaigns we had PCs who had relationships. In one instance, the girl a PC was seeing was the ex-gf of a Yakuza soldier. I have some fun memories of said PC slipping out the window to avoid getting his ass kicked or worse.

Overall, my PCs don't really have much of a 'life' outside of running regrettably, although I do strongly encourage it. All PCs have at least one personal hook, which I use for subplots and as a basis to explore their character in more depth. I do push for them to have activities outside of running but the reality is most of them have such a full plate they would struggle with anything resembling a relationship.

- J.
InfinityzeN
My players are actually running something between 1/3 and 1/2 of the games as player driven, with the rest split evenly into downtime RP and actually GM built runs. Downtime RP is "So you guys got money in the bank and just finished a hellish two week job, what cha doing?". It also covers hanging with high loyalty contacts, clubbing, etc.

In the game I'm playing in (YEA! Finally after 10 years! WOOO HOOO!) I have an Ork gangbanger. He is into fast motorcycles and has a "dayjob" as a strip club bouncer. When he has down time, he of course drinks and chases tail. But he also goes to concerts and block parties, works on his bikes and car, goes out street racing, goes to track days, hits up the car and bike shows (every kind, from exotics to racing to classics), and cruises the beaches.

I guess I should post updated stats for him on here sometime since he is actually building up pretty fast. GM started us at 300BP and was giving out 10~12 karma a game.
Chrysalis
Sonya is a character I have played for a bit over a year now. She was re-awakened in the ACHE only recently. She does street racing in an old Renraku cop car. She recently went off to Boston for run and liked flying so much that when she came back she went off and took a parachute course.

When she is not busy with runs, she is drinking coffee at the local Stormbucks, hanging out with her friend mechanic Dreamer (who is scared silly of her), or working in the ACHE. She's squatting back in her old security level apartment there. Gotten to know some of the old residents from Deus's time and has started activating the old computer systems. She still does her usual patrols of the area and hunts and kills any adventurous looters.

There is a group of urban explorers she has befriended. Like her they are just curious with the place. The other group do base jumping off the pinnacle.

She's saving up for a pilot's license at the moment.
Kerenshara
Kerenshara’s newly returned to Seattle, and all her old contacts and friends - save one - think she’s dead in the rocket attack that killed her parents and lead to the late Awakening of her latent magical Talent, and at the moment it’s in her best interest to keep it that way. She's trying to come to grips with how her Talent has altered her perception of the world. She doesn’t have “weekends� and only acknowledges them as a custom most people keep so she can interact with the people around her - the bad guys won’t wait to hit you on a weekday, so don’t make it easy for them by dropping your guard. She runs and exercises extensively, but her usual past times are largely denied to her at the moment. The one thing she can still do is put on another identity and become somebody else in order to engage in a little casual extracurricular sex. Her deep interests right now are essentially different sides of the same coin: trying to better understand her Talent through self study and an attempt to find some kind of Center and inner peace - and she has been studying a number of philosophies with a strong emphasis on the Japanese, as her limited experience of Zen seems to hold an inner peace and serenity she desperately craves so she can face her challenges head on with clear vision. She has never known romantic love, and wouldn’t know it if it bit her on her perfectly formed behind. Above all of this is a bittersweet knowledge that prior to her Awakening, in trying to follow her parent’s path, she had a significant amount of bio and cyberware implanted in her body that now complicates and impedes her Talent. Her first kill was at the age of eleven - the man who ordered her grandmother's death in a car bomb to try to get to her Grandpa, while gagged and bound helpless in a chair. She never has understood her parent's apparent horror when she calmly handed the pistol back to Grandpa. She had always heard killing was hard... and she had followed Grandpa's One Rule. Grownups. Go figure.
Right now she's holding down a "day" job with a talent for singing she's never known she possessed at a little Norse themed pub two nights a week or so, and she's getting a little following already. The fact that it's not really her, is besides the point. She's always been an adrenaline junky, but since her Awakening she's turned more into a predator, taking pleasure in the stalk as well as the kill.

Chibu
Definitely do out of run roleplaying. It makes the characters so much more interesting.

Let's see... where to begin...

One of our first big campaigns, my character (Unarmed/Improvised weapons [Jackie Chan style] Physical Adept) Was very big into awakened botany. He would go out and look for interesting things, and bring them to his greenhouse, and started near the end to be a big name in the botany community. This actually helped us out one time, as we used one of the plants, along with some crazy antics to raise the background count of a building high enough do disrupt a rough toxic spirit (which was our job for that run). In this same campaign, another character (Pacifist snake shaman) was starting a cult to get people to give karma to out friend, an NPC Free Spirit. It took a long time to finally get around to getting a church and everything set up. Good times.

Another campaign, I was playing Nightshade (Physical Adept throwing playing cards). Nightshade was kind of the Astral expert of the group, as we didn't always have a mage. He learned most of what he know about the astral between runs with a free Forest Spirit that he befriended. He was running to gain influence and contacts and experiance to be able to launch a full scale war on Atzlan (he was Amazonian, and they killed everyone he'd thought of as family). So, he wasn't really a shadowrunner for money, so he always had alot lying around. For a run that we were on, we were supposed to steal something from a high level Hougun in Haiti. The problem was, we didn't want to fight him directly, and he rarely left his house. So, I decided to throw a party... This party had to be big enough that everyone would come, and if he didn't it would look bad. But we didn't have much time, and we couldn't find anyone who could (or would) supply us with enough alcohol by the time we needed it. So, I went and bought a large distillery outright (a couple hundred K nuyen) and drained everything they had into the party. Anyway, that was all just backstory... From then on, he worked at selling his newfound product back home in seatle and elewhere. Between runs one time, he decided to take his friends down to Haiti for vacation, so that he could check up on the company and make sure everything was running smoothly and get things set up for an expansion. We wrote out most of that vacation on a forum somewhere and it probably came to 40-50 pages in all. Other than that, he liked hanging out at Penumbra, and I think he was something of at part-owner by the end.

Basically, the reason that I like the characters that I play so much is because of their in-between runs lives. Many of my groups characters have had families and friends who ended up having influence on the story (One character's wife was killed when our J decided that he was upset with that character. That was kind of a dark campaign nyahnyah.gif).
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Chibu @ May 16 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Basically, the reason that I like the characters that I play so much is because of their in-between runs lives. Many of my groups characters have had families and friends who ended up having influence on the story (One character's wife was killed when our J decided that he was upset with that character. That was kind of a dark campaign nyahnyah.gif ).

These are always the characters and campaigns I remember most fondly, BECAUSE of the off-camera stuff.
The Jake
My last, long term SR character was a jack of all trades (de-facto hacker/rigger/shaman) who basically was a loner with obsessive/paranoid tendencies. He always kept to himself and built a very intensive information brokerage business over the matrix and almost never attended face-to-face meets. He would have liked to have that sort of lifestyle but he was so insular and obsessive, it just wasn't his way. I tried very much to play him as a loner. The closest company he had was his ally spirit and former running mate, an Elven Jamaican voodoo combat houngan.

I totally agree with Kerenshara - its the behind the scenes stuff that makes the character.

- J.
pbangarth
Lately I seem to have characters who have a 'quest' that draws them into the shadows.

I have an academic, Professor, who works in the shadows to find the thief who destroyed his career. But his passion is archaeology, and he cannot leave that behind, so he reads and anonymously contributes to journals. In the midst of the ugliness, he is determined to pay forward the help he got in past times, so he mentors strangers he meets along the way. And then there is Nandi, the sociologist in DC, who kinda likes him and...

Then there is Bongo Slade, the kid percussionist who dreams of finding the heartbeat of Gaia, and playing it. The shadows are means to money and experience, uncontrolled by teachers or parents or bosses. In downtime, he travels, to spend time with shamans in the north, or musicians in New Orleans, ever searching for clues. Or dropping into some bar and jamming, enthralling the audience but leaving when the bar overflows after Twitters of "Bongo's here!"
Screaming Eagle
My last long term Character (God's its been forever since I was a player) viewed Shadowrunning as a means to an end, not a job itself. Using a goodly sized crosssection of profits for runs he was working on setting up a "legitamite" construction company, planning on hiring himself as an architect (the characters carrer before the oh oh that got him in the biz). Much of his down time was spend scouting talent and lending aid to street level prospects who, when I got the ball rolling and could offer them a real job, would be loyal beyond belief (not manipulative, the character was just a good guy who engendered trust and helped people). Heck from time to time I'd call my fixers and announce I was taking a few months off and to only contact me if they were stuck or had a job that could be handled in an afternoon (the group was approaching prime runners by this stage, "real" missions often took 3-4 sessions and weeks of game time as we were going international). Sometime several sessions would go between missions as the team did side hobbies either together or individually. Life was comming up spades till we came back from a 3 week mission around Eurpoe, the Pacific rim and Madagasgar and I had had my apartment broken into, the police had investigated the break in (I was living in a good part of town by now), found my Lodge, a small stash of fomulae and some foci and poisons we had taken off of a Toxic Shaman I had yet to dispose of, jumped to all sorts of wrong but understandable conclusions and burrowed though several of my multipule layers of fake ID, contacts, allies and even shaken down a Barrens squatter tenament I had informally adopted/ was superintendant for. ALL WAS ASHES!!! Stupids shadowrunning!! Gah!!! the actual impact on my running was minimal (I hired 3 good teams to retreive the various items that could be mystially linked to me while I layed low, re-established fake id's and most of my wealth was secured/ stached safely)... but my network, my people my LIFE had gone to hell. It was great.
Stahlseele
One of my Characters is a dwarven professor/archeologist.
He's from germany.
He's looking for things like Hvaldos(subterranean Dwarven-Kingdom).
Yeah, those are not canon, novel only, so i figure he'll go bonkers.
Cochise
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 17 2009, 05:06 PM) *
He's looking for things like Hvaldos(subterranean Dwarven-Kingdom).
Yeah, those are not canon, novel only, so i figure he'll go bonkers.

Unfortunatley not just in novels ... but (IMHO luckily) still not official canon

[edit]
As for the main question:

It largely depends on the characters and the gaming groups. I have never played in very fixed groups but rather several at the same time. Some of these groups restricted their roleplay solely to the runs and "down times" where mentioned in regards to rule mechanics at best (healing times, time it takes to produce certain game effects like initiation, programming and the like). Other groups (or at least individuals within certain groups) did put a stronger emphasis on the completeness of their character's life ... which resulted in gaming sessions that purely dealt with their ordinary lives and thus pushing the actual running experience into the background.
I also noticed that the larger a group gets the less likely is it to see played out down times.

As a concequence I do have characters that have rather well fleshed out background stories and ongoing "life" besides their work as runner, while others are pure rule constructs that only seem to exist while the run is on. And I actually like both concepts of playing ...
Snow_Fox
We usually have well developed charatcers with interests and lives, detailing their residences and stuff. The GM's have actually used these interests and outside lives to develop adventures with contacts.
Fresno Bob
I usually try to give my characters hobbies and activities that flesh them out a bit. Most recently I've had an ex-military male street-sam who wrote harlequin romance novels as a side job for supplementary income. He had writing as an active skill, and every month made a skill test to earn money with it. He also liked to drink heavily and keep bonsai trees.
martindv
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ May 16 2009, 12:46 PM) *
To mangle a famous book title: "Do de-sensitized hardened shadowrunners dream of awakened mutant sheep?"

The PC has no life. No background. Nothing but his stats. He is nothing but a killer. And his is the moment of the kill.

He loves that moment.

He sits in the dark, quivering, waiting for that moment.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 17 2009, 10:08 PM) *
I usually try to give my characters hobbies and activities that flesh them out a bit. Most recently I've had an ex-military male street-sam who wrote harlequin romance novels as a side job for supplementary income. He had writing as an active skill, and every month made a skill test to earn money with it. He also liked to drink heavily and keep bonsai trees.

THAT's original. But I'm dying to know the "why" about the Bonsai trees.

You know, MartinDV, I was hoping somebody would at least NOTICE that joke about the book title...
The Jake
QUOTE (martindv @ May 18 2009, 05:11 AM) *
The PC has no life. No background. Nothing but his stats. He is nothing but a killer. And his is the moment of the kill.

He loves that moment.

He sits in the dark, quivering, waiting for that moment.

I am reminded of the cardboard cut out character from The Gamers for some reason....

- J.
Fresno Bob
Well the bonsai tree thing is just I think its an interesting hobby, so I had him be into it. Its also kind of fun to pick hobbies that I don't know much about in RL, so I get to research them so the character can talk about it and be saying things that make sense.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (The Jake @ May 17 2009, 11:29 PM) *
I am reminded of the cardboard cut out character from The Gamers for some reason....

- J.

You mean Mark's character, Somebodyorother the red, last of the Bloodfury Berzerkers, whose battle cry was "Blood! Death! and Vengeance! as he frothed at the mouth, but was so two-dee even the GM kept forgetting he was there?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 17 2009, 11:39 PM) *
Well the bonsai tree thing is just I think its an interesting hobby, so I had him be into it. Its also kind of fun to pick hobbies that I don't know much about in RL, so I get to research them so the character can talk about it and be saying things that make sense.

OK, bonus points for this one then. Expand yourself while you expand your character.

I don't know ANYBODY who's done THAT. The fact that I wound up more and better versed in early biblical history and dogma than one of my co-workers who liked to think they were religious because of an Ars Magica character not withstanding.
toturi
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ May 17 2009, 01:46 AM) *

Off camera, there's always so much to do. Matrix? Your programs need updating. Vehicles? Your drones and vehicles need servicing. Face? You need to maintain your contacts. Day Job? Well, you have a Day Job. There's always something to occupy your time. Security Design? Well, there's a security industry convention next week. Covert Ops Protocols? Time to update them. There's always so much to do, so many people to see. Oh, you think your teammate just wasted a weekend gardening? He's keeping the fengshui in his garden just right. Remember that bad ass spirit he had on tap last mission? Yeah, good feng shui, man.
tsuyoshikentsu
In her spare time, Carrie works as a professional escort.

Not the "dinner-only" kind.
Kyoto Kid
...Violet runs an electonic "fix-it" shop on the side which basically maintains her lifestyle, Things like Trivids, Toasters, Nukers, and other small household appliances. In her spare time she tinkers with new and useful gadget concepts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012