Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermographic Vision with Color Blindness
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
How have you guys handled those who have taken a color blindness flaw, either by choice or a combination with Albinism, along with thermographic vision. I've always pictured thermographic vision as using color to represent heat patterns and perhaps shading to represent distance. But without the color, would the person see in blank and white by via IR as with nightvision today? Just wondering what your thoughts are on thermo vision and its combination with color blindness.

-- Dashifen --
Turtle
Well, you can easily switch from the "common" red & blue to a black & white pattern, the white getting more bright and intense the hotter the object is.
Tziluthi
That seems to be the thing that the police use these days, as you see on the cop shows. I suppose that's what infra-red and low-light looks like when it's intergrated.
Laughlyn
The black and white you're seeing is probably an infrared camera. Same basic idea, different way of doing it.
Solidcobra
Color Blindness = Bad
with it you can't be the Predator.....
honestly, i use a black and white version, as said above....
Cray74
QUOTE (Dashifen)
How have you guys handled those who have taken a color blindness flaw, either by choice or a combination with Albinism, along with thermographic vision.  I've always pictured thermographic vision as using color to represent heat patterns and perhaps shading to represent distance.  But without the color, would the person see in blank and white by via IR as with nightvision today?  Just wondering what your thoughts are on thermo vision and its combination with color blindness.

Many thermographic systems are "colorblind" today. Here's a list of MPEG video downloads from Bullard, a thermal imager manufacturer:

MPEG Downloads of Thermal Imagers in Action, 400kb-2.5MB

(In addition to demos of the thermal imagers for fire fighter use - Bullard targets emergency services as its customers - there's some demos of how thermal imaging works, such as with mirrors and to detect liquid levels in opaque containers.)

The coloring of thermographic images is just added in arbitrarily by computer - the imager only delivers a grayscale image.
Frag-o Delux
Color blind doesn't mean you can't see color

With all things in life there are different levels of color blind, some people can't see certain colors, others have transposed colors, and so on. It may be my lack of experience with color blind people but I have never met a color blind person who can't see any color at all.

On a side note and funny too. I had a science teacher in high school who is color blind. He couldn't see orange and brown, so every halloween his pumpkins would be blue or green, his other decorations that involved brown or orange would also be messed up. He had to have his wife color co-ordinate his clothes, and he had a student assisstant help with his colored classroom duties. It was funny when his wife was out of town or mad at him.

So I think if a person percieves red as the hottest source of heat then the color blind person I think would soon learn that blue in his vision is the hottest source so it bears little on how he uses a colored heat vision.
TheScamp
Color blind doesn't mean you can't see color

The color blind Flaw does.
Frag-o Delux
Sorry never used it. But that is dumb any way. You can have so much more fun with people who can see some color or see other colors where they are not.

And the example about colored wires in a bomb. What bomb maker uses a color code. When you disarm a bomb you test the wires for load or lack of and what they are connected to, not if it is blue or red. If I were to make a bomb I would buy the cheapest wire they had no matter the color and use one spool, I am not going to use different colors every connection.
annachie
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
If I were to make a bomb I would buy the cheapest wire they had no matter the color and use one spool, I am not going to use different colors every connection.

Yes you are. And you're going to hide inline joints so that the wires change colours mid run biggrin.gif
Game2BHappy
On the color blind thing -

I have a color-blind friend who cut himself at home without realizing it and continued doing stuff around the house, but couldn't differentiate the blood from the color of the carpets. When his wife came home she screamed thinking something awful must have happened. smile.gif

Same guy has a hard time tracking wounded deer with us because he can't see the blood on the leaves. He can, however, pick out a still bowhunter in full camoflage without even trying.

Also remember, there are varying levels of color-blind its not all or nothing.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Game2BHappy @ Aug 21 2003, 02:00 PM)
On the color blind thing -

I have a color-blind friend who cut himself at home without realizing it and continued doing stuff around the house, but couldn't differentiate the blood from the color of the carpets.  When his wife came home she screamed thinking something awful must have happened.  smile.gif

Same guy has a hard time tracking wounded deer with us because he can't see the blood on the leaves.  He can, however, pick out a still bowhunter in full camoflage without even trying.

Also remember, there are varying levels of color-blind its not all or nothing.

That is my point. Until now I never read the color blind flaw, but if I were to use it or have some one use it I think I would house rule something for it. If I felt particularly anal during the character creation session.

I could also use photovoltiac cells so when you open the lid to my bomb the light would blow you to hell. Or a low voltage disconnect, so when you do cut the right wire and it detects no more current the shunt closes and blows you to pieces anyway.
Ancient History
In ED, thermographic vision was red-based. This was revealed when some dwarf and Troll art looked funny because their eyes could distinguish more shades of red with their thermographic vision (or something to that effec).

I'd label color-blind characters without thermographic vision "easily confused."

"Is that a really bright light or a huge heat source? Guess I'll just have to touch it and find out."
Herald of Verjigorm
Considering that the most extreme full cases of color blindness mean that the person has no cones in his retina, and thermographic comes from a differend receptor entirely, I see no problem with the troll who can only see intensities of light and heat but no color.
Dog
I have to agree with Herald. I don't think the character would be confused at all.
For example, I am colorblind. (Genetic flaw, I lack lots of the 'cones' or color receptors in my eyes.) I have good night vision, though, because my ability to sense color and my ability to sense light are not the same, they are only intergrated by my brain. Wouldn't the ability to sense heat be the same?

Most of you seem to be thinking in terms of 'translating' thermographic to some other sense, like color, which really isn't nessecary in a natural ability. But a guy with thermo vision would probably have trouble explaining to you why this looks warm and this looks cold, the same trouble you would have explaining why this looks green and this looks red. ('It just does!')

It would be different though, if we were talking about infrared, which is just energy on the EM scale a just outside of the visible range. Remember that light is EM energy and 'color' is just our term for different wavelengths. So infrared vision (which is different from thermal) might be affected by colorblindness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012