Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New(ly returned) to Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sweeper
Hey all. I've returned to Shadowrun after a very long hiatus. I pretty much left as I didn't care for the way the 2nd ed rules handled things, (a little too clunky for me and pretty much turned me off to Dice pools in general). But I recently picked up a copy Shadowrun 4 and am reading through the basic rules. I have to say that I like the revisions made. While I'm still not big on Dice Pools, I do like the way the new rules handle them.

I've been itching play/run a game. wither it's face to face or online. It's been quite awhile since a ran any kind of RPG and I've been wanting to get back into practice. So I've been wondering:

Is there any good SR4 character gen software?
What is a good starter adventure?
If I had to run it online, any suggestions on software to use? (I tried PbP, but it didn't go to well)

Thanks and it's a pleasure to be here. smile.gif

BlueMax
QUOTE (Sweeper @ May 23 2009, 08:36 AM) *
Hey all. I've returned to Shadowrun after a very long hiatus. I pretty much left as I didn't care for the way the 2nd ed rules handled things, (a little too clunky for me and pretty much turned me off to Dice pools in general). But I recently picked up a copy Shadowrun 4 and am reading through the basic rules. I have to say that I like the revisions made. While I'm still not big on Dice Pools, I do like the way the new rules handle them.

I've been itching play/run a game. wither it's face to face or online. It's been quite awhile since a ran any kind of RPG and I've been wanting to get back into practice. So I've been wondering:

If I had to run it online, any suggestions on software to use? (I tried PbP, but it didn't go to well)

Thanks and it's a pleasure to be here. smile.gif

Chargen Excel sheet maintained by DamienKnight
Adventure:Missions Denver free on shadowrun4.com
Online: not my bag.

BlueMax
Matsci
QUOTE (Sweeper @ May 23 2009, 08:36 AM) *

Welcome back. Too bad you picked up the core rulebook just now, as the 20th Anniversary core book is on it's way to the printers.

There is a great spreadsheet that covers all the books,

There is the old classic, Food Fight, along with On The Run, which is designed for being a started adventure.

Maptools + Skype. Both are free, easy to setup, and work very well. I have a player that telecommutes to the game with these.
Sweeper
Well, it's the pdf, actually. $25 was easier to swallow than $35 for print. Didn't want to lay down full price on a product I wasn't too sure about. smile.gif
Jaid
well then, you probably got the anniversary edition. does it have a ton of fiction and looks super-special-awesome?
Captain Aardvark
Well I know my edition looks super-special-awsome.

The group I play in uses Maptools when we play. Just started using it though but it looks real good, and there are tutorials for it. We don't use Skype though, maybe I should pitch it in the group.
Matsci
QUOTE (Captain Aardvark @ May 23 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Well I know my edition looks super-special-awsome.

The group I play in uses Maptools when we play. Just started using it though but it looks real good, and there are tutorials for it. We don't use Skype though, maybe I should pitch it in the group.

Voice Chat adds so much to the game. And it speeds things up. And you can PM players.
Sweeper
No, it's not the anniversary ed. I do see that much. I do have a skype acct. And I think I found map tool, From RPTools, right?

More I think about it, though, the more I'd prefer to play a few games before I tackle running a game of Shadowrun. I haven't built a character yet, though I'll probably build one for the needs of group, (most likely a cler, er, Healer mage/shaman).

Anyone know of an opening?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012