Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best B&W Shadowrun Art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
As a illustrator/graphic designer, I've been happy to see that the design of Shadowrun books has improved greatly over the years. What I haven't enjoyed though, is the declining artwork. It seems that the new books have moderate to low-level artwork in them.

So, my question is what book (sourcebook or main rulebook) were you happiest with the black & white inside?

cheap plug - if you want to see my artwork, look for the Dungeons & Dragons - Guide to Playing comic book coming out on Free Comic Book Day. It'll be distributed around the country on July 3rd at book and comic stores by Wizards of the Coast! I also wrote the story in that book. Okay, done talking about myself. grinbig.gif
moosegod
I liked some of the stuff in SR Comp.
Rock-Steady
My Fav's were the pictures from Tim Bradstreet in the Second Edition Rule Book.
bwdemon
Denver had some of my favorite art, as I remember...
Munchkinslayer
Any thing with Tony Szczudlo art (like PAoE). And, yeah, Rock-Steady's right. Bradstreet just flat kicks the ass outta just about everybody.

Hey, CJ, good on ya mate! A little self-promotion never hurt anybody but the haters -- and screw them!
Crusher Bob
Some of the artwork from the 1st and 2nd Grimoire was pretty good too. The later art seems to have funny body proportions and way too much black ink for me.
Fix-it
Gotta be the Elemental mage who's spell backfires on him, in MITS. biggrin.gif
Dogsoup
QUOTE (Rock-Steady @ Jan 18 2004, 01:03 AM)
My Fav's were the pictures from Tim Bradstreet in the Second Edition Rule Book.

Aaait! I really likes his sense of detail in those pics, all the little gadgets and jury-rigged equipment a runner comes to carry.
Mr. Man
Put me down as someone else who can't get enough Bradstreet SR artwork.

Oh, and this struck me as a pretty good thread from the old forum on (essentially) this topic.
Adarael
All the detailed line art from Double Exposure - same guy who did the gun pictures in Fields of Fire.

He did an excellent job of mapping the images so that the ordinary, peaceful or prosaic took up between 50-75 percent of the frame and something abjectly horrible or horrifically violent was happening in the remainder of the frame.

The opening picture showed the Project Hope facility in all its' lovely beauty, happy people laughing, smiling, being comrades. The bottom 30 percent of the picture was on the other side of the wall, with three security guards. Two of them were beating a bum to death (he was howling in pain and doubling up) while the third lit a cigarette and looked on impassively.

Lovely contrast.
Lilt
The badass biker on P73 of R3 is one of my faves.
Arethusa
On page 50 of the SSG, there is the single best piece of Shadowrun art I've ever seen. Shame I can't link it.
LoseAsDirected
Anything by Prescott.

Mmm.. Bouncy...

Heh.. Seriously, though.. I like the art in Renraku Arcology: Shutdown.
Tanka
Hehe... Suck cheese...
LoseAsDirected
DV8, I lost my 2nd edition BBB about 5 years ago.. So forgive me, I forgot all about the brilliant artwork that was in it.. I also LOVED the way they detailed the various races in it much more than I do in 3rd edition.
Dogsoup
QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
Anything by Prescott.

Actually, Prescott's probably my main SR fave: He draws in this lovely rich-inked style with lots of contrasts, often with some humorous detail. And his ability to draw expressionate and detailed faces has no peer amongst other SR artists IMO.

BAX is teh winn in drawing bugs; Especially the "species descriptions" in Bug City where you can really see that those monsters were some hapless metahuman once. In general I've always thought of him as the authority on spirits.

Djurdevic is waaay badass for a "new kid on the block", I like him in the same way I like Prescott, and Djurdevic make the best "everyday" images so far. Im glad he gets the kind of space he does.

Larry McDougal's pics have no equivalence in his style and mood: The great unknown that is the sixth world comes to life in his pics, with all it's dirt and grittiness.

Tom Fowler's another style fave, all his SR and Deadlands:HoE works plain rawks.

Last but certainly not least is the local hero, Bergting: He may be a tad uneven in his works, but when at he's good, he's good.

All in all, I love all (with some insignificant exceptions) SR art and the people who make it. love.gif
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Adarael)
All the detailed line art from Double Exposure - same guy who did the gun pictures in Fields of Fire.

He did an excellent job of mapping the images so that the ordinary, peaceful or prosaic took up between 50-75 percent of the frame and something abjectly horrible or horrifically violent was happening in the remainder of the frame.

The opening picture showed the Project Hope facility in all its' lovely beauty, happy people laughing, smiling, being comrades. The bottom 30 percent of the picture was on the other side of the wall, with three security guards. Two of them were beating a bum to death (he was howling in pain and doubling up) while the third lit a cigarette and looked on impassively.

Lovely contrast.

Thats Mike Jackson.

I like his art too. The pics in "Prime Runners" are great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012