Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perception and Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Warlordtheft
Question comes to me regarding the use of edge on passive rolls like perception (some GMs prefer to roll things like that themselves). Should the GM allow it. If so-how do they handle it?

A follow-up question-for instances where the player does not know how well he's done untill after the fact (like a mind probe or check if they think the NPC is lying).
DireRadiant
When should I roll dice? Whenever it's fun!

This isn't yahtzee, you roll dice, he rolls dice, she rolls dice, every takes turns rolling dice. The game story and PC and NPC actions determine when dice are rolled.

If there is a dice roll and the results will materially affect the players where Edge could make a difference, then ask the player. That's what Edge is for, to allow the players the option to use their personal decision making to decide that this particular roll is important to them. Only they can decide that.

Edge is a tool in the game for the players to use to indicate what is important to them, when it's used isn't codified into rules, it's a player decision.

You'll notice Edge can be used before and after the dice are rolled, mechanically different in each case, but it is allowed before and after.

Whether or not you allow it after the results have been described is a matter of game style, and that's your groups decision for what works.
Screaming Eagle
Typically I will allow the player to roll their own perception in any "They are about to get jumped" situation - anything immediatly theatening. Does this give things away: yes, but not for long. They know how well they did, don't know the ultimate target and I insist that everyone be done rolling before I describe the scene.
Hidden / non-threatning tests (assenceing, searches etc.) I roll and advise of initial results (not hits, information) they may then edge re-roll to "get lucky" - find a false bottom to the chest by triping and dislodging it, turn to the left to see past the masking - this also addresses the follow up I suppose... They can also spend in advance of course on any test that I'm using their numbers.

I just try to keep it running like an action film/ crime drama and things seem to work out (I often fail at my goal but whats a body to do?).
Rotbart van Dainig
I expect players to roll their own damn tests - if they are too lazy, they can buy hits. nyahnyah.gif
dog_xinu
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 2 2009, 12:38 PM) *
I expect players to roll their own damn tests - if they are too lazy, they can buy hits. nyahnyah.gif

sometimes you dont want the players knowing that they are rolling a perception test. maybe someone is watching them and they have a slight chance of seeing them. if they roll the di©e then they know something is up. so you have 3 options:
1) they roll their own perception tests (and they have a clue that something is going on)
2) you roll their tests when they are not actively trying to be perceptive. you roll lots more but they dont know why.
3) they roll the test, but you ask them to do it more often then they need to so they dont really know when it is a real test vs a roll that you made them do.

so option 1 is at one edge of the spectrum, option 2 is at the other edge, and option 3 is somewhere in the middle.

guess which one I do?
Kerrang
I allow the use of Edge on perception rolls, as they can be very important.

I am also in the #3 crowd from the above post. I often call for perception rolls to notice mundane details that do not effect the game whatsoever, or for no reason at all. Using this method, players will typically only spend edge on perception tests when they are actively searching for something.
Red-ROM
sometimes I ask players to role perception just to buy me time to think about how I want things to go down, and to make them more nervous. biggrin.gif
Warlordtheft
So far I've made them roll if it is something that will be immdeidiately apparent. So at that point, they should decide if edge is used. That being said I have on occasions when it was needed rolled the perception checks (to see if they've got a clue). In those cases it is hard to ask the player for edge if you want to keep them in the dark about something. It seems sometimes asking asking the question gives them the information.

Thanks-I do like this option number 3. You can also do it to make the players more paranoid.

<quote> 3) they roll the test, but you ask them to do it more often then they need to so they dont really know when it is a real test vs a roll that you made them do.</quote>
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (dog_xinu @ Jun 2 2009, 10:52 PM) *
sometimes you dont want the players knowing that they are rolling a perception test.

Sure I do - because like hell I'll calculate their individual modifiers due enhancements for them.
Kev
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 3 2009, 12:35 PM) *
Sure I do - because like hell I'll calculate their individual modifiers due enhancements for them.

That's when you just write that down at the beginning of the run on an index card. I usually keep a table for each characters perception ability in sight, audio, smell, and (rarely) touch and taste.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kev @ Jun 3 2009, 06:49 PM) *
That's when you just write that down at the beginning of the run on an index card.

See, there's your mistake: writing down stuff about player characters is what character sheets are for - and it's the players that maintain those. nyahnyah.gif
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 5 2009, 02:25 PM) *
See, there's your mistake: writing down stuff about player characters is what character sheets are for - and it's the players that maintain those. nyahnyah.gif

Our GM has the players write that stuff down on index cards FOR him, which he then takes and references.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure, that's the first step.

Then again - don't stop there: Let the players carry and read those, too - and let them do the calculations.
Apathy
When making them roll perception tests randomly just to keep them paranoid and guessing, make sure to cackle maniacally every now an then when you roll your dice, and ask things like "What was your Body, again? Do you have any spare/blank character sheets?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012