Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elves vs. Sidhe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Celtzo
Does anyone have information on whether or not SR Elves are the same as the Sidhe? I'm talking about the fey, Tatiana, Queen Mab, those that live underhill....traditinal mythos? I've heard some opinions that they are actually two separate races, even though the Elven Courts have adopted Sidhe names and roles.

Thanks.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Celtzo @ Jun 4 2009, 01:17 PM) *
Does anyone have information on whether or not SR Elves are the same as the Sidhe? I'm talking about the fey, Tatiana, Queen Mab, those that live underhill....traditinal mythos? I've heard some opinions that they are actually two separate races, even though the Elven Courts have adopted Sidhe names and roles.

Thanks.

No.
Though some make those claims.
There are two groups, just plain old elves and Immortal Elves.

{sarcasm}
People here really like the Immortal Elves
{/sarcasm}

BlueMax
/likes Harlequin
// won't deny it
Dikotana
I haven't seen any evidence that they are sidhe. In fact, I don't think the sidhe exist in Shadowrun, and from the very little I know about Earthdawn they don't exist there either. They aren't just separate races. Elves are real and faeries are fictional in the sixth world.

Why the Tirs, particularly Tír na nÓg? Because when you've got a massive superiority complex and the myths are there for you, becoming the Fair Folk seems like a good idea. There's a dash of Fourth World history and myth thrown in and that probably influenced the myths of the sidhe, but elves aren't those myths.
Stahlseele
Isn't the Seelie Court more or less what the Sidhe were supposed to be?
DireRadiant
The little brownie right next to me says No.
crizh
The voices in my head also say no.

They also say

'Patience Grasshopper, patience.'
martindv
QUOTE (Dikotana @ Jun 4 2009, 05:23 PM) *
Elves are real and faeries are fictional in the sixth world.

There are faerie spirits in Shadowrun. They've been around since 1993 when they were introduced in Paranormal Animals of Europe.

At this point, there is almost no RL fictional entity that isn't real in Shadowrun.
HappyDaze
At this point, there is almost no RL fictional entity that isn't real in Shadowrun.

God...
Stahlseele
well, there ARE Christian Shamans . . .
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 4 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Isn't the Seelie Court more or less what the Sidhe were supposed to be?

Well, just like many powers and wannabe's have borrowed symbolism from the roman empire irl, the elves of the euro tir have borrowed symbolism from mythology to support their reason to exist...
HappyDaze

There's also that guy at the mall with the red suit and beard, but no proof of Santa Claus.
Matsci
Nope. Elves are just long lived humans with pointy ears.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Matsci @ Jun 4 2009, 07:40 PM) *
Nope. Elves are just long lived humans with pointy ears.

WOOOOOOO Buddy.

Watch your language.

Ain't nothing human about them pointy ears.

The White Dove

GreyBrother
The Tir na nOg government claims that they have the Seelie and Unseelie Court, but as said, they have no proof that they are THOSE courts.
paws2sky
Elven Revisionism factors heavily into my own take on the Tirs.

And Sperethiel? Looks and sounds surprisingly like Sindarin or Quenya. rotate.gif

Which is not to say there aren't elves that somehow survived the down cycle.

-paws
Bull
Considering the magical cycles and the ties to Shadowrun's "Earthdawn History", it's also entirely likely that in the Shadowrun World, the Celtic Fae Mythos is based very loosely on scraps of memory and story from that time period.

And of course, the elves are gonna play up on it like the prancing ponces that they are wink.gif
Stahlseele
I think in Worlds without Ends something is mentioned about this. but i ain't sure.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 5 2009, 06:12 AM) *
I think in Worlds without Ends something is mentioned about this. but i ain't sure.

Ugh. I try to pretend that book doesn't exist. Everyone has something in Cannon they don't like, for me that book is it.

BlueMax
Stormdrake
To be fair SR has added pixies as a playable race who have the weakness of vanashing which makes them distinctly different from the "regular" races. The addition of the Sidhe to the SR world is not particularly difficult if you think of the "true" sidhe as a form of spirit and underhill as a metaplane. Besides imagine the fun when the real Lugh Silverhand shows up in the world and wants a word with his namesake who has been running around messing everything up.
crizh
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jun 5 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Besides imagine the fun when the real Lugh Silverhand shows up in the world and wants a word with his namesake who has been running around messing everything up.

Call out The Hunt!
Celtzo
And the GM has spoken!

My idea so far is to modify the pixie to make a non-flying, human form, with vanishing and astral perception.

Can anyone point me to a guide on the realtive BP cost/reduciton for 1) adding a starting point to an ability, 2) increasing the racial max for an ability, 3) decreasing the racial max for an ability?

I'm still working my way through the new edition.
O'Donnell Heir
QUOTE (Celtzo @ Jun 4 2009, 04:17 PM) *

Thanks.

Yes, no, and maybe. We know that the Immortal Elves have been around a long time, and have caried many guises. The SR Elves originated, somewhat, with the Earthdawn Elves. Certainly there's at least a little evidence that some very old families produce more elves (ex: Daanan Mor), possibly due to bloodlines that draw back into the earthdawn age.

However, among a lot of the more recent elves it's fashion to have a "traditional" name. Despite the fact that the immortal elves have gone by many names over the years from many regions, and some or most wouldn't care one way or the other
Chibu
QUOTE (Celtzo @ Jun 5 2009, 12:53 PM) *
My idea so far is to modify the pixie to make a non-flying, human form, with vanishing and astral perception.

I see them exactly the opposite of that. I never understood the whole vanishing thing. Though, to each his (and/or her) own. I prefer them as windlings from Earthdawn as well, that's what the picture given is.

Otherwise, I personally prefer Shadowrun having Earthdawn history in general.

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jun 5 2009, 10:42 AM) *
Everyone has something in Cannon they don't like
That is very true. Mine is '4th edition'. =D
Stahlseele
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 5 2009, 06:48 PM) *
Call out The Hunt!

Thing is, they actually can't seem to do that just like that. The immortal elven Queen of the Court has actually stated the fact, that they need several of their strongest mages to even get the slowest horses to let them hop on for even a short ride.
Whereas Aina Sluage and MAYBE Caimbeul seems to be able to summon the Wild Hunt. the COMPLETE wild hunt. Including the finest of their Steeds, which will be more or less docile for her/them and even wait for them to see if they decide to get on again, after they just got off.
Yes, this is from Worlds without End *bllllll*
QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 5 2009, 08:10 PM) *
That is very true. Mine is '4th edition'. =D

I just don't like the new Rules System. And i LOATHE the Fluff they used to make the Change from 3rd to 4th Ed.
Else, i don't think SR4.5 is all THAT bad . . At least it has some stupid silly awesome toys . .
Celtzo
I prefer them as windlings from Earthdawn as well, that's what the picture given is.

Ah! Maybe it is time to resurrect an old Earthdawn character! Whizbang the Windling Wizard! LOL
crash2029
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 4 2009, 08:27 PM) *
There's also that guy at the mall with the red suit and beard, but no proof of Santa Claus.

My next character now has to be a troll shaman with the Santa Claus mentor spirit.
martindv
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 4 2009, 08:27 PM) *

The bar's been set so low Barney the dinosaur was a totem in Awakenings. It is impossible to believe Santa isn't one as well.

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Jun 5 2009, 01:15 AM) *
The Tir na nOg government claims that they have the Seelie and Unseelie Court, but as said, they have no proof that they are THOSE courts.

The Seelie Court/TNO government most certainly does not recognize the ludicrous claims of an Unseelie Court in Tir na nOg.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 4 2009, 08:00 PM) *

And you know what? The way they presented them, I don't have a single problem with it. They are channeling the power of a particular angel or saint in order to do God's Will. Now, as with all magical traditions in the 6th world, there is great debate about the fundamental wellspring from which mana (and the ability to wield it) comes. The Christian Shamans would say their power is from God, while the power of the heathens, apostate and infidels get theirs from the Devil. And you know what? I think that's perfect... for them. It fits the dogma that has grown up around the faith over millenia, and when push comes to shove in the 6th world, Dogma has a Power all its own.

Now, I'm not trying to single out or pick on Christians; you just happened to mention them. The other major faiths of the world are all in there, and with one or two exceptions I would quibble about (and we "eratta"ed in our current game), I think the 4th ed "alternate traditions" did a fabulous job. Every faith sees the world through their own uniquely colored lenses, and it affects them accordingly. What I would REALLY love to see, is a convincingly played Shinto Shaman. THAT would be extremely wiz, in my book.
Stahlseele
And of course, there are the Hardliners in every single Religion and Culture screaming BURN THE WHICH about EVERYTHING that doesn't look/live like them.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 6 2009, 02:16 PM) *
And of course, there are the Hardliners in every single Religion and Culture screaming BURN THE WHICH about EVERYTHING that doesn't look/live like them.

But WHICH shall we burn?

BlueMax
/Humor people, humor!
Stahlseele
Smartass <.< . .
BURN THOSE WHICH DO NOT FIT IN!
It still works, even if i fucked out the spelling ^^
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 6 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Smartass <.< . .
BURN THOSE WHICH DO NOT FIT IN!
It still works, even if i fucked out the spelling ^^

And this is why I love to read your posts. I seldom fail to get at least a smile, if not a grin. Often enough, it's an outright chortle. Once or twice I had to fight to breathe again.
GreyBrother
Um... how do we know it is a witch?
Matsci
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Jun 7 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Um... how do we know it is a witch?

They turn people into newts?
BlueMax
QUOTE (Matsci @ Jun 7 2009, 12:19 AM) *

I got better!

BlueMax
/she dropped the sustained spell
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 7 2009, 01:53 AM) *
And this is why I love to read your posts. I seldom fail to get at least a smile, if not a grin. Often enough, it's an outright chortle. Once or twice I had to fight to breathe again.

I consider a day not wasted, if i made someone laugh ^^
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Matsci @ Jun 7 2009, 10:19 AM) *

Ah Ah ah... why does a witch burn?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Jun 7 2009, 09:14 AM) *
Ah Ah ah... why does a witch burn?

Because they are made of Wood.....
GreyBrother
Good. And... what else is made of wood?
crash2029
Ducks?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Jun 8 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Ducks?

Sooooo.... If she weighs as much as a Duck, then She is made of Wood, and therefore is..... A WITCH... BURN HER!!!!!
Snow_Fox
no reason why they shouldn't be the sidhe. the elves of tir nan og are contemptuous of the TT elves saying they are an abominatrion. of what? who's to say the earth dawn elf lands are not the memories, badly tiwated of the fairy hills?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012