Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking/Cybercombat in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LakotaWolf
Does anyone have, or know of, examples of cybercombat/node hacking/combat with IC?

I seem to be especially fail at figuring out the process and coming up with lines that don't suck. ("The IC zaps you...")

Also - I typed up an "example" of a hacking attempt + Matrix combat. It's a bit long, but if anyone wants to skim it and point out any glaring errors or issues, I'd appreciate it immensely :} Thanks again!

((Obviously, all the stats/Ratings are completely made-up and probably aren't realistic.))

Hacker Jack: assume programs all at Rating 4. (Except Stealth, which is Rating 2.)
Node: Small A-level Corp’s regional office data storage node, assume all programs at Rating 3.
IC: Assume all of its stats are the same as the parent node’s.

Jack attempts to hack into the node on the fly. He is in VR, hotsimming. He rolls Hacking + Exploit (8 dice), threshold = node’s Firewall rating (3). Jack rolls 4 successes. He has successfully hacked into the node. The node may now make a free Analyze + Firewall roll to detect Jack’s intrusion, threshold is Jack’s Stealth (2). Node gets 2 successes and detects Jack. The node is alerted to the intrusion and begins countermeasures. It alerts the node’s IC agent.

In the meantime, the node attempts to terminate Jack’s connection. It rolls its Firewall + System (6 dice) in an Opposed Test versus Jack’s Exploit + Hacking (8 dice). The node gets one success; Jack gets two. The node cannot terminate his connection.

The IC agent arrives. It immediately attacks using Blackout. It rolls Rating + Blackout (6 dice) versus Jack’s Response + Firewall (8 dice). The IC gets 3 successes; Jack gets 2. The IC’s Blackout program hits, and Jack resists with his Willpower (3). Jack gets one success, which reduces the Blackout’s damage to 3 Stun boxes.

Jack strikes back with his own Attack program. He rolls Rating + Attack (8 dice) versus the IC’s Response + Firewall (6 dice). Jack scores 3 hits; the IC scores 1. Jack’s attack hits. The IC makes a resistance test using only its Rating (3) as it does not have an Armor program. The IC gets two successes. Jack’s attack would be doing 4 (his Attack program’s rating) + 2 (net hits). The IC’s resistance test reduces this damage by 2. It takes 4 damage. It has 6 boxes remaining on its Matrix Condition Monitor.

Meanwhile, Jack is attempting to copy data from the node. He rolls his Hacking + Edit (8 dice) and scores 3 successes. He begins to transfer the data. The node, detecting this, attempts to encrypt its files as Jack is copying them. Jack must now run a Decrypt program to attempt to brute-force decrypt the files before he can copy them. (As a note, he is now running three programs: Edit, Decrypt, and Attack, since he is still in combat with the IC.) Jack rolls a Response + Decrypt (8 dice) Extended Test where the threshold is the node’s Encryption rating x 2 (6). Jack gets 3 successes. He is unable to brute-force decrypt the files.

The IC, meanwhile, is attacking again. It rolls Rating + Blackout vs. Jack’s Response + Firewall. The IC scores 3 hits; Jack scores 4. The Blackout attack does not hit.

Jack attacks back, rolling his Rating + Attack versus the IC’s Response + Firewall. Jack scores 1 hit; the IC scores 3. Jack’s attack does not hit.

Meanwhile, the IC begins to run a Track program on Jack. It rolls its Rating + Track (6 dice) as an Extended Test (10, 1 Initiative Pass). It rolls 4 successes. It’s beginning to track Jack.

Jack, noticing this, attempts to jack out of the Matrix. Because the IC has scored a successful attack on him prior to this, his connection is jammed open. He must make an Opposed test rolling his Willpower (3) vs. the IC’s Rating + Response (6 dice). Jack rolls 3 successes; the IC rolls only 1. Jack gets lucky and jacks out, but he immediately suffers Dumpshock.

Because he was hotsimming, the dumpshock’s base DV is 5P. He rolls his Willpower in an attempt to resist. He rolls 2 successes, and ends up taking 3P and is disoriented for 7 minutes.

All in all, Jack’s hacking attempt was unsuccessful. He was not able to download all of the information he needed, and ended up getting his butt kicked a bit in the process.

Now all I need to do is actually make it FUN for the players... >_>

Anyway XD Any critiques/help/advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks again!
Tiger Eyes
This thread has a semi-official hacking/cybercombat example based off the intro story for the Wireless World chapter of SR4A.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...3&hl=netcat
Malachi
Check out the first link in my signature to the Three-Data Monty run. Post #15 has an example of some Hacking action which included Cybercombat.

PS Rating 4 programs with a Stealth of 2? Jack stinks.
Malachi
QUOTE (LakotaWolf @ Jun 4 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Anyway XD Any critiques/help/advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks again!

Not bad. You should be more clear on the Rating of Jack's Matrix skills. If they are all 4, then Jack's pool for his actions was too low for all of your examples, he should be getting his +2 Hot Sim bonus for all of his Matrix actions. Also, it would be useful to map out what action happens during what IP and Combat Round. You can only do so many things and a Cybercombat Attack, Decrypt (renamed Initiate Cryptanalysis in SR4A), and Trace User action all take a Complex Action apiece.
Da9iel
No, I don't think Jack stinks. Jack is merely very good while every (other?) shadowrunner I've seen is at least great and usually steeped-in-hyperbole great. This is excepting the sample characters of course.

-Peace out.
BlackJaw
As I understand it, thre are spicific rule about what happens when a Node detects an intruder.

If a hacker sets off the alarms exploiting a system, the system immediately goes on alert against him, giving it a bonus against him (I forget the size or uses of this bonus off-hand though.) This will also alert any admins/etc that are paying attention.

If you're using Unwired, then the System also gets to do one of three things: Launch IC (IE: activate a new IC program), Scramble a Hacker (Immediatly log-in the on duty hacker to deal with the intruder), or Try to disconnect the hacker (getting to make 1 attemp). It does not get to launch IC and then try to disconnect him, although a spider or white hat might issue a command to the node to try and disconect him, but if he has Admin access he could do the same to them.
Malachi
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jun 4 2009, 05:03 PM) *
As I understand it, thre are spicific rule about what happens when a Node detects an intruder.

If a hacker sets off the alarms exploiting a system, the system immediately goes on alert against him, giving it a bonus against him (I forget the size or uses of this bonus off-hand though.) This will also alert any admins/etc that are paying attention.

If you're using Unwired, then the System also gets to do one of three things: Launch IC (IE: activate a new IC program), Scramble a Hacker (Immediatly log-in the on duty hacker to deal with the intruder), or Try to disconnect the hacker (getting to make 1 attemp). It does not get to launch IC and then try to disconnect him, although a spider or white hat might issue a command to the node to try and disconect him, but if he has Admin access he could do the same to them.

There are no hard rules that say a system can only do one and not the other. The system can respond however the GM feels appropriate. One rule I wish they would have put in, however, is that an attempt to disconnect the intruder can only be made once. Otherwise it is far too powerful, doing the equivalent of 10 boxes of Matrix damage in a single test.
LakotaWolf
Thank you guys for the tips and links so far - they're helping a lot :} I think I'm finally starting to understand.

Malachi - good point about the Actions thing.. I haven't GMed before, so this is all a bit of a big bite for me. XD I've definately got to learn my Actions and timing.

I don't think we'll be using Unwired bits in our game. :/
BlackJaw
Alerts on page 67 of Unwired talks about a node's Alert Response Configuration (ARC) script that tells it what to do when an Icon triggers and alert.

It says it a system itself is very limited. It gets to do one of four things, and just once per Alert triggered, and targeting the Icon that caused the Alert only:
  1. Launch IC
  2. Scramble Security Hacker
  3. Disconnect Connection
  4. System Reset/Shutdown.
I don't want to quote the whole section word for word, but it sounds like it's very specific: One response, pre-set, that is used each time an Alert happens.

It also notes that once an alert is triggered, account privileges are suspended for that Icon's account, and the node's Firewall gets a +4 bonus vs that account.

It's reasons like this that I milk my Stealth Program for as much as I can. Getting into a system is almost useless if you're detected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012