Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIRTUAL REALITY
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadowfox
Alright, according to VR in the BBB:

"...This means that your physical body is limp while you're online, as if you were sleeping."

So as soon as you jack in and you are standing up, you fall over?

My hacker was asking how this worked in the older editions since it was all VR, since they were using public terminals, did they just fall over?

Can they still feel themselves enough to stand up?
Method
In previous editions the deck had a component called a RAS Override. RAS stands for reticular activating system which is the part of your brain that regulates arousal. Presumably if your RAS was overridden you would indeed be a limp lifeless vegetable. However, pseudoscience aside, characters could still take real world actions (such as standing at a public terminal) albeit with a huge target number modifier.

And for the record not everything was VR... you had tortoises as well. Ah the good old days...
hobgoblin
hehe, the best part is that a jumped in rigger has the same issue...

so that begs the question, how do you rig a motorcycle? silly.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 8 2009, 11:59 PM) *
hehe, the best part is that a jumped in rigger has the same issue...

Tasty greek sandwiches. Tight wrapping and a liberal fusion of distinct culinary methods.

BlueMax
/gyros
//straps
///blended muscle and motor control, it all feels the same anyway when hot
Aaron
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 9 2009, 12:59 AM) *

First off, it raises the question. Begging the question is a circular argument. =iP

Second, I reckon that when you're not jumped in, your sense of balance keeps your body from falling off of the seat. When you're the bike instead of the rider, I imagine that your sense of balance keeps your body from falling off of the seat.
paws2sky
Back in my day, we used Velcro!

-paws
Chrysalis
That's why rigging with anything that involves hand and eye coordination is not a good idea.

And to answer how does a rigger not fall off a motorcycle - that's easy he's in the sidecar.

There was this whole discussion about it. Search for motorcycles and rigging to find it.
nezumi
And the creative use of straps, I'm sure. I believe at one point they specified you installed gyros as well. Another possibility is with the bike, by the nature of how it's driven, the RAS is not engaged, allowing you to mentally move your bike and the body with the same thought (which is what you'd be doing anyway).

Jhaiisiin
Mod the bike with a rigger cocoon to make it more like a tron cycle, and you *can't* fall off.
DireRadiant
I'm the bike. I keep my rider on. Lot's of incentive, it's my body after all.

Note that VR isn't completely limp, there is that pretty hefty -6 penalty.
Blade
Isn't there a gyroscopic-something that's made exactly for that purpose?
Jhaiisiin
That's actually to keep the bike upright, not the rider. Though I wonder if a special piece of cyber could be integrated into a move-by-wire system to make that happen... hmmm....
KarmaInferno
Reminds me of my old high school physics professor.

He had a battery powered gyro he installed into a briefcase, with a remote trigger. Stuffed a lot of sound insulation around it to muffle the motor.

He'd hand it to someone to carry while walking, and just before they turned a corner, he'd turn it on.

A prof with a practical sense of humor, scary...

Anyways, i think i read at some point that the ras is just as much about keeping us from overreacting to dreams as it is about going "limp noodle". Also, we actually move quite a bit when we sleep...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 9 2009, 01:35 PM) *
First off, it raises the question. Begging the question is a circular argument. =iP

what can i say, english is not my first language wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012