Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocky Mountain Avatar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GreyBrother
Well, after i reread the Unwired text about gaming i noticed that Rocky Mountain Avatar doesn't make any sense to me...

The current top AR game is Rocky Mountain Avatar,
which pits contestants against each other as T-Bird smugglers. The
courses are based on real physical objects. Many malls and public
areas sponsor their courses to improve foot traffic. Someone at the
Bellevue Mall in Seattle, for example, would be notified when another
gamer was in his or her vicinity. They could then challenge
each other to run the course. You can frequently spot the hardcore
gamers by their erraticā€”and often dangerousā€”movements and
actions as they respond to an AR fantasy world disconnected from
their physical surroundings.

So... people run around, pretending to be T-Birds and generally endanger everyone around them or how does it work?
CodeBreaker
I imagine the erratic movements they talk about is the same as watching a gamer these days throw the controller about when playing a racing game. I also imagine the game itself is played through AR and controlled with AR, so you fly little mini AR T-Birds about the space all while sitting on a park bench. However I guess it could be people running about the mall with their arms out like wings making funny noises...
Tiger Eyes
You're controlling an avatar, your t-bird, which appears in your (and your opponent's) AR view. The course is based on the actual topography of the location; a mall's escalator, for example, might be a narrow vertical canyon with a huge waterfall and turbulent winds. The erratic motions would be a gamer who's controlling the avatar via AR gloves or hand sensors (ie, jerking the hands up, swinging your arms out wide, etc), with biofeedback clothing/whathaveyou for a more real feel (hardcore gamers). At the same time, you'd have to move about the area to keep your avatar in view; watching it instead of the pedestrians around you could be bad. wink.gif (I'm sure most malls and higher-end public places have thought of this and designed courses that don't involve indescriminate gamers mowing down the stroller crowd)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012