Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lycanthropes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Andinel
Arsenal talks about silver bullets being effective against werewolves and other lycanthropes. Where, if anywhere, have these been in another SR4 book? Or should I expect to see them in Running Wild?
Machiavelli
I think he talks about shapeshifters and maybe the Loup-Garou.
Larsine
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 10 2009, 07:09 PM) *
I think he talks about shapeshifters and maybe the Loup-Garou.

It's in the crunch/rules section, and it does mention "lycanthropes like werewolves". But there has never been any lycanthropes in Shadowrun, and there likely never will be.

I could understand if it was in a fluff section, as the person could be mistaken, but the crunch section should not mention lycanthropes when they don't exist.

Lars
Machiavelli
They don´t exist "per se", but he probably "intents" them to be lycantropes, acc. to the intention of the notion? The term basically only means "be a wolf-man", so a shapeshifter is most likely the origin for this myth.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 10 2009, 01:02 PM) *
They don´t exist "per se", but he probably "intents" them to be lycantropes, acc. to the intention of the notion? The term basically only means "be a wolf-man", so a shapeshifter is most likely the origin for this myth.

Again, that would be entirely acceptable - if it was in the fluff section. References to Therianthropes in a rules section is greatly flawed, as there is no Therianthropes in the rules.

I also have a problem with "lycanthropes like werewolves", as a lycanthrope is a werewolf - not any other kind of 'were' creature (other variants are Therianthropes, of which lycanthropy is a subcategory of).
Ancient History
I personally might have gone for shapeshifters or paracritters, but I don't think the word lycanthropes is enough to have a hissy cow about.
Machiavelli
That is basically what i wanted to say...but with nicer words.^^ I think he used this word, because he thinks that in the meanwhile it is so common, that everybody automatically knows what he is talking about. And how many people would know Therianthropes?
rathmun
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 11 2009, 01:01 AM) *
That is basically what i wanted to say...but with nicer words.^^ I think he used this word, because he thinks that in the meanwhile it is so common, that everybody automatically knows what he is talking about. And how many people would know Therianthropes?
Sounds like an appropriate subject for a poll to me.
Machiavelli
Already quoted.^^ You should also ask how many people know the word "lycanthropes" instread of "therianthropes"
Cadmus
See the real question is...when they shoot the guy that dosn't have an allergy to silver and fail to kill it, can it sell the silver bullets? hehe

Granted me, I've never had a char with an allergy to silver or gold..all of mine have allergys that are far more commen, like an allergy to high velosity projectiles.
Machiavelli
Yeah, this one is quite common in 2070. Strange, if the corps put additions in the drinking water for this?^^
Fuchs
QUOTE (Cadmus @ Jun 11 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Granted me, I've never had a char with an allergy to silver or gold..all of mine have allergys that are far more commen, like an allergy to high velosity projectiles.

Actual quote from a GM back in the early 1990s, when the troll sammie with the silver allergy was fighting two elves: "Ah, you've got an allergy to silver? The two elves drop their light machine guns, draw silver swords and charge you!"
Snow_Fox
We have house rules for lycanthropes but yeah they never show up in official rules unless you meran shifters. For your average gillet/hunter they really don't care if the thing charging them is a cursed human or an animal that can take human form, all he knows/cares is that it's freaking big and charging him and if it takes silver bullets then lock an' load NOW!
Ancient History
"But why are you killing it with silver?"
"Because it's immune to lead."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012