Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggested Book Purchases?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sable twilight
I've been away from SR for quite a while. I always loved the system and the background, but for a time just could not keep pace with the book releases. Now that I have gotten into a game I have started picking up some of the 3rd ed books. I was wondering which ones I should make priority for my next purchases? I want to focus more on the systems (primary) and overall or general background sourcebooks (secondary) rather then region sourcebooks and adventures.

In other words, if I were buying up 2nd ed books again, I would be focusing mainly on books such Shadowtech, Cybertech, Virtual Realities 2.0, The Grimoire, Awakinings, Rigger Black Book, etc. followed by Corporate Shadowfiles, Lone Star, etc. Things like the London, Tir, and NAN books would come before adventures, but still a much lower priority.

Here is what I have so far (not counting my old 1st and 2nd ed books or sourcebooks):
3rd ed core rules
Magic in the Shadows
Rigger 3 Revised
Shadowrun Companion
Cannon Companion

The ones I have in mind to purchase next:
Man and Machine
Sprawl Survival Guide
State of the Art 2063
(in that order)

Are there any others I should add to the list at this point?

Thanks
Raén
Well, you should add Matrix, unless you already have Virtual Realities 2.
moosegod
I'd put YotC above SOTA:2063

You know, it being the previous year and all.
Rev
Given your list of what you would purchase if it were SR2 you should buy those books you have in mind in the order you have listed them (or in the order you find them, heh).
Jr. Woodchuck
The most enjoyable book for me to read cover to cover has easily been Renraku: Arcology Shutdown.

Corporate Download is good too.

...but then I like the corp drek more then any of the other story arcs.
Lindt
Eh... even if you have VR2.0 buy Matrix. The list looks good, but as Moose said, get YotC. Its a really handy book as it covers both setting and rules.
sable twilight
Thanks all.

So, so far we have:
Man and Machine
Sprawl Survival Guide
State of the Art 2063
Matrix
Corporate Download
Year of the Comet
Renraku: Arcology Shutdown

I'm puting YotC lower on the list since I want to get all the core rules and gadget stuff first, then the nifity event centered things.

Are the Target: (whatever) worth fitting in there or should should I hold off?

What about Wake of the Comet? Is that just adventure stuff?

Does anyone know if Fanpro plans on reprinting some of the old sourcebook material, such as Cyberpirates? I know the rules are now covered in newer books, but the flavor, background material, and shadowland comments. It would be nice to even get them in electronic format, like WotC is doing with the old D&D and AD&D material.
Herald of Verjigorm
Target: books are great if you are thinking of changing the scenery now and then. If all you do is wander Seattle, you have no need of them.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (sable twilight)
Does anyone know if Fanpro plans on reprinting some of the old sourcebook material, such as Cyberpirates?  I know the rules are now covered in newer books, but the flavor, background material, and shadowland comments.  It would be nice to even get them in electronic format, like WotC is doing with the old D&D and AD&D material.

It's not likely that Fanpro would reprint 2nd edition material, since there are 3rd edition books that there are no plans to reprint.
Fortune
QUOTE (sable twilight)
What about Wake of the Comet? Is that just adventure stuff?

Wake of the Comet is indeed adventure scenarios, as is Survival of the Fittest. You might want to add Dragons of the Sixth World to your list though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012