Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Infected...yeah^^
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Some time ago i started a topic and asked if it would be possible to get infected by getting an injection with HMHVV-containing blood/fluids etc. The result of this discussion was, that (not with the version Ghouls need to be created, but the version for Vampires etc.) you need to be under the influence of the "essence-drain"-power to make the "infection"-power work. Ok, but what would happen if you get infected with the virus through the above mentioned injection? Would it work anyway, maybe taking longer? Would you simply die? Would you be unharmed because the virus didn´t become active becoming only a carrier?
Mirilion
Not knowing any relevant information on the matter that may exist in various game supplements, I would say that is very much a GM call.
Hagga
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 14 2009, 09:22 AM) *
Some time ago i started a topic and asked if it would be possible to get infected by getting an injection with HMHVV-containing blood/fluids etc. The result of this discussion was, that (not with the version Ghouls need to be created, but the version for Vampires etc.) you need to be under the influence of the "essence-drain"-power to make the "infection"-power work. Ok, but what would happen if you get infected with the virus through the above mentioned injection? Would it work anyway, maybe taking longer? Would you simply die? Would you be unharmed because the virus didn´t become active becoming only a carrier?

Strain I reqwuires the target to be the target of an infection power. All other strains can be transmitted through contact. Ghoul licks your shirt? Roll. But probably at a penalty.
Neraph
Uhh... You'd be "Carrier (Vampire)", I think. You'd have the virus, but it wouldn't transform you and you couldn't turn other people (but you could infect them as Carriers as well).
Snow_Fox
still it might make a good threat or maybe more than a threat. it was implied that goblins, infected dwarves, were created since they didn't have infection power
Cochise
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jun 14 2009, 06:08 PM) *
still it might make a good threat or maybe more than a threat. it was implied that goblins, infected dwarves, were created since they didn't have infection power

They already had Infection by SR3 and still have it in SR4 ... so them not having it in SR2 could be called an oversight in the Paranormal Animals of Europe
Snow_Fox
yeah I klnow but in 2nd ed they actually mention that in the text, which I think was an attmept to make a good recovery on as bad edit, on maybe they mutated
Cochise
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jun 14 2009, 06:33 PM) *
yeah I klnow but in 2nd ed they actually mention that in the text, which I think was an attmept to make a good recovery on as bad edit, on maybe they mutated

I actually have my Paranormal right here ... and except for Shadowtalk (with all its dubiosness and potential misinformation) speaking of the outbreak in the northern european communities possibly being considered / deliberate there's nothing that could be taken as an indication that the Goblin version of said HMHVV strain was or the Goblins as such were (artificially) created. And even that Shadowtalk isn't a good indication since such a considered and deliberate action could as well mean that an infected dwarf was deliberately set lose within a dwarven enclave.

As for the initial question: You would most certainly create carriers for said virus strain. Despite being immune to the virus on a global scale such carriers could still be the source of further virus mutations.
Having such infected persons being subject to the Infection Power by a being that doesn#t carry a compatible virus stain could actually lead to a situation where a former carrier is then transformed. But the likelyness of something like that is extremely low. So that leaves only deliberate actions ... and there it would be easier to get an infection source that can directly infect than going through the troubles of first making someone into a carrier of a strain for his own metatype and then getting a being with infection power (with a possibly non-compatible strain) to pop the actual infection.
Dumori
kerkger strain drains essence to those infected. Where as the other strain while being a carrier you would be immune to the other strains making ghoul slaying safe. Also I would rule that on dieing form essence loss as a carrier you would then become infected.
Namelessjoe
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 14 2009, 12:54 PM) *
kerkger strain drains essence to those infected. Where as the other strain while being a carrier you would be immune to the other strains making ghoul slaying safe. Also I would rule that on dieing form essence loss as a carrier you would then become infected.

So you would have infected sprout up like umbrella corp. undead.... also if you went through a deep enough mana void or ebb then that could drain your own essance enough as far as the virus was concerned to trigger infection enter the "Space Zombie" biggrin.gif
Dumori
As far as I know thats RAW. I may have to reread but I know it works as I said for ghouls. They can really spread fast.
Method
Lloyd: In...
Harry: Fect...
Lloyd: Tid...
Harry: Yeah...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012