Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Foci in Chargen!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
EnlitenedDespot
Looking to make a Human Hermetic Mage and am wondering about good Foci picks for Character generation. It seems as if you could somehow muster the BP for it, that having a bonded Power Focus would be awesome. It also seems to me that while astrally projecting you would want a decent weapon focus (or an awesome combat spell as an alternative, I guess) and having a sustaining focus or two would be quite handy.

So,

1) Is it reasonable (or is there a reasonable way) to shoot for a Power Focus at chargen? It just seems as if it would be so much more efficient than attempting to acquire one after chargen (in terms of bp:karma ratio, and of course tracking one down at a decent price)

2) Is a Weapon Focus worthwhile? Does a good spell just completely eliminate the need for a Weapon Focus at all? I'm guessing if you want to have an awesome melee combat pool, a weapon focus really helps, but if you're planning on using a gun or spells in real life at all then you can probably instead just use the spells in the astral plane too?

3) Is a sustaining focus worthwhile? I'm guessing you may or may not want one for Heal, but what about the spell giving extra initiative passes? I've always felt that a -2 penalty to everything kind of sucks to not mitigate, although having 3-4 initiative passes instead of one would certainly make it worth it...

So that's pretty much it. If you want more info about my character, I'm kind of playing around with using an Ares Predator IV (EX Explosive Rounds, Smartgun system, Silencer, etc. etc.) as a main weapon instead of using magic, although I don't know what's more effective. I am kind of not attracted to the idea of shooting fireballs at enemies, more of using spells as support in a more subtle manner and using a gun or weapon focus (or both) as main weapons. The goal with the character would be to utilize my magic to manipulate the situation/gain knowledge/ more subtly and utilize a pistol or weapon focus (haven't decided between monowhip or monofilament sowrd) for the main weapon(s). Don't know how feasible that manages to be, as I also catch myself wanting to take 1 in the Athletics, Influence, and Stealth skill groups (defaulting bothers me a whole lot). Also, the simple action of firing a pistol twice per initiative pass instead of one spell per initiative pass is quite attractive (and drain free!). Any suggestions are welcome.
EnlitenedDespot
Ahh, so based on restrictions regarding availability, you could only get a Power Focus Rank 2, Sustaining Focus Rank 3, and Weapon Focus Rank 2. This would cost you 7 BP for bonding and 50k+20k+30k = 100k or 20 more BP.

In the end, you would have spent 27 BP for a Power Focus Rank 2, Sustaining Focus Rank 3, and Weapon Focus Rank 2. The real question is, is this worth it?

Also, I'm guessing you couldn't take your Power Focus and upgrade it later to a Rank 3? Would you have to buy a completely new focus? If so, then perhaps this is why most players don't like getting Foci in chargeN?
Knight Saber
QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 16 2009, 10:43 PM) *
Ahh, so based on restrictions regarding availability, you could only get a Power Focus Rank 2, Sustaining Focus Rank 3, and Weapon Focus Rank 2. This would cost you 7 BP for bonding and 50k+20k+30k = 100k or 20 more BP.

In the end, you would have spent 27 BP for a Power Focus Rank 2, Sustaining Focus Rank 3, and Weapon Focus Rank 2. The real question is, is this worth it?

Also, I'm guessing you couldn't take your Power Focus and upgrade it later to a Rank 3? Would you have to buy a completely new focus? If so, then perhaps this is why most players don't like getting Foci in chargeN?

You are correct, you can't upgrade foci. The idea about not starting with foci seems to be that you'll find them in play, on the bodies of the enemy mages you've ganked, so you'll just need to attune to them with Karma.

I like weapon foci myself, but if you're not an Adept, you'll have to really work to make it practical. Specialize in armed combat (focus weapon type), Astral Combat (Whatever kind of focus you have) and Improved Init for more IP. Elemental Aura from Street Magic is another good choice for added damage and defense. You'll need a sustaining focus or to choose between the two spells. A big downside is that if it's a sword, you can't hide it very well and will have to leave it behind a lot of the time. A collapsable baton or staff could be an interesting one, giving you the traditional mage look and concealability, plus reach. Reach is good, as you'll want to boost your combat advantage every bit you can.

Keep in mind that sustaining a spell is only a penalty for magical tasks... you can still fight well, say. Or that's the way I read it, and it'd make any personal buff spell rather worthless if it wasn't the case.

Given the scarcity of resources, I would just start with the Power Focus. It's the most expensive in cash and bonding, so it'd be the hardest to get after character generation.
Glyph
Power foci are the most overall useful - they can be used for most magical tests. They are well worth picking up at character creation, where they are much less expensive to bond then.

Weapon foci are of limited use to a mage, and it takes a lot of work, or a specialized build, to make them worth it. I would not recommend them for a starting mage.

Sustaining foci are good for keeping a spell sustained without incurring a sustaining penalty. But the spell's Force (and thus, total hits) is limited to the Force of the focus, so you won't be able to get the full effect of a Force: 5 spell with it. Still useful, but not as much so as a power focus.
EnlitenedDespot
Thanks so much for the advice! Do you think the "Restricted Item" Positive Quality from Runner's Companion is worth going for the Rank 4 Power Focus?

I've heard a Sustaining Focus (Rank 3) would be good for Heal or even Increased Reflexes (figuring I'd get an average of 3 hits on my Resist Drain test, so having two extra Initiative Passes would be just fine by me for no drain).

I'm guessing a Weapon Focus just wouldn't do quite as well as a spell (in fact, I'd have to have a Weapon Focus and buy points in Astral Combat Skill, whereas I could save myself 16 BP for the skill, 2BP for the Weapon Focus, and 20,000 nuyen or 4 BP in funds for the Weapon Focus if I just used an attack spell while astrally projecting).
Ryu
I was going to suggest Restricted gear for the power focus. You generally want solid ratings on your foci. The idea of getting a few dice extra is nice, but then you have to consider the inconvenience of owning small, highly valueable gear that is magically connected to you. A few more dice make justifying the focus use easier.

Sustaining foci are very useful. They usually have a higher priority for our mages than any other type. Very unfortunate that one has to decide on a spell category. The health sustaining focus is good for increase attribute/reflexes. The detection ones can give you substantial information - and Combat Sense is very nice to have in combat. Manipulation: Levitate, barriers... Illusion: Invisibility, physical mask... The downside here is that you want a high force, and you canĀ“t really get that at chargen. Adding restricted gear is a substantial increase in price here, and the BP:karma ratio for binding at chargen is not half as good as that of power foci.

What size of weapon focus would you be looking at? Would you go for a large weapon with high DV like a claymore, or for a small, concealable weapon like a dagger?
EnlitenedDespot
Well, looking at things, I'm a bit happier with Manabolt/Powerbolt/Stunbolt as being subtle, as I'm not shooting fire out of my hands like an idiot (at least that's how it would feel to me).

Man, getting a Rank 4 Power Focus might be worth it. 100k nuyen is 20 BP, plus 4 BP to bond and 5 BP for Restricted Item (the availability of Power Focus Rank 4 would be 20, if I'm not mistaken). That might eliminate the desire for a Weapon Focus. Figuring a Force 3 Sustaining Focus could work for the extra 2 initiative passes? As far as I can tell, sustaining a spell is a -2 to everything, and those initiative passes are what let you keep an edge or stay competitive in a fight.

Here's some math, throwing it out there by the way (assuming mostly averages with average results):

Manabolt cast with Force 5, Spellcasting 5, Spec +2 (combat spells?), Mentor Spirit +2 (say Wise Warrior), +2 Focus (could be a +4, but leave it at this): 16 dice.

16 dice on average gets 5 hits.
Average guy resisting with 3 Willpower = 1 hit reduced.

Base damage = Force = 5. Add 4 net hits and we get 9 physical damage. Drain is 2, which is no problem. Heck, you could cast this thing at Force 6 and probably resist the 3 drain, upping the damage to 10. Having a Power Focus Rank 4 would probably get you one more net hit, making the damage ultimately 11. All of this for a complex action.

Let's assume astral combat for the weapon focus (not necessarily digging it for melee combat, to be honest).

Willpower 5 + Astral Combat 5 (new skill, there goes 20 BP) + 2 spec + 2 Weapon Focus (assuming Rank 2): 14 dice.

We'll be generous and say 5 hits.

Let's just say enemy has a dice pool of 6 to resist the attack, making 2 hits subtracted.

If we go out on a limb and say the focus is a monofilament whip, we've got 8P base damage + 3 net hits = 11 damage. Guess that's a simple action, or not? That makes a Weapon Focus somewhat attractive if I really want to burn 20BP learning an entirely new skill (hmmm)... Also, I think Monofilament Whips are kind of wussy/lame (they seem overpowered and I just don't like whips in concept). I was leaning towards a Monofilament sword, and this would be a hermetic mage so woot no charisma.

Also, I did a comparison of that Manabolt to an Ares Predator IV Pistol, smartlinked and with EX Explosive Ammo:

Assume Agi 3, Pistols 5, Spec 2, Smartlink 2 vs. Reaction 3, Body 3, Armor Jacket (8/6)

To hit: 12 dice, 4 hits. Reaction gets 1 hit, leaving 3 net hits.

Damage Value: 6P, AP -2 (factoring in EX Explosive Ammo already), now 9P, AP-2 compared to the Armor Jacket's modified AV of 8-2=6. Physical damage.

9P vs. 3 body + 6 armor = 6P net damage in a simple action. You're most likely going to get another 5-6P damage (recoil -1 for to hit) the next simple action.

I guess really the question is, am I gaining all that much out of having a gun if I just have an attack spell or two handy? Am I gaining anything out of the Weapon Focus or is that just a huge waste of time? Are Monofilament Whips broken or what?

Feel free to trash my math and give suggestions, my initial idea of a guy using support magic, being a badass with a pistol, and using a monowhip or monosword for astral combat just seems a bit, we'll say inefficient.

Lastly, my Stunbolt scenario featured me ramping the Force to 8 and getting 12S damage to the enemy target with the same stats as the Manabolt scenario (not including the Rank 4 Power Focus (13 damage?). As this would more likely knock someone out than the 9-11P damage, what is the attraction of Manabolt? I can easily knock someone out and kill him immediately afterwards with a storypoint gunshot to the head, no? So what's the attraction of the physical damage here, the ability to know your target is dying if you have to run the next round?

Well, I'll stop my stream of consciousness now...
Ryu
QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 17 2009, 11:57 AM) *
Well, looking at things, I'm a bit happier with Manabolt/Powerbolt/Stunbolt as being subtle, as I'm not shooting fire out of my hands like an idiot (at least that's how it would feel to me).

You had me going there until "like an idiot". Dude! Your hands, projecting fire!

Man, getting a Rank 4 Power Focus might be worth it. 100k nuyen is 20 BP, plus 4 BP to bond and 5 BP for Restricted Item (the availability of Power Focus Rank 4 would be 20, if I'm not mistaken). That might eliminate the desire for a Weapon Focus. Figuring a Force 3 Sustaining Focus could work for the extra 2 initiative passes? As far as I can tell, sustaining a spell is a -2 to everything, and those initiative passes are what let you keep an edge or stay competitive in a fight.

A power focus permits you to damage things despite enemy counterspelling, yes. Weapon foci with high enough force can enable you do cause damage in astral combat even with high background count, and also help with defense against spirits attacking you in astral combat (2*force vs. intuition (astral reaction) + astral combat, not nice). You can make do with Astral Combat 1 (spirits +2) - against anything up to force 4.

Manabolt cast with Force 5, Spellcasting 5, Spec +2 (combat spells?), Mentor Spirit +2 (say Wise Warrior), +2 Focus (could be a +4, but leave it at this): 16 dice.

16 dice on average gets 5 hits.
Average guy resisting with 3 Willpower = 1 hit reduced.

Base damage = Force = 5. Add 4 net hits and we get 9 physical damage. Drain is 2, which is no problem. Heck, you could cast this thing at Force 6 and probably resist the 3 drain, upping the damage to 10. Having a Power Focus Rank 4 would probably get you one more net hit, making the damage ultimately 11. All of this for a complex action.

See the optional direct combat spell drain rules from SR4A (or the changes document). The damage output can be enhanced by overcasting, but the risk of drain is real. If you are really into tons of magical damage, you need a Spellcasting(Combat) focus, using multicasting. Dicepool modifiers (mentor/spec/combat focus, NOT power focus) are added after the pool is split. Note that a)one IP with bad drain rolls can kill you, and b) opponents might actually manage to resist, as you have much less dice per roll.

Feel free to trash my math and give suggestions, my initial idea of a guy using support magic, being a badass with a pistol, and using a monowhip or monosword for astral combat just seems a bit, we'll say inefficient.

Lastly, my Stunbolt scenario featured me ramping the Force to 8 and getting 12S damage to the enemy target with the same stats as the Manabolt scenario (not including the Rank 4 Power Focus (13 damage?). As this would more likely knock someone out than the 9-11P damage, what is the attraction of Manabolt? I can easily knock someone out and kill him immediately afterwards with a storypoint gunshot to the head, no? So what's the attraction of the physical damage here, the ability to know your target is dying if you have to run the next round?

Stunbolt is often more efficient than manabolt, as it often does the same for less drain. Stun damage is on the other hand easily repaired with a patch, and you might not always get the chance for your "storypoint gunshot". All is fine if you get people to appreciate that you could have killed them as well, but the world does often not work that way.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 17 2009, 12:43 AM) *
The real question is, is this worth it?

Exactly.

In the end you are going to have to make that call, is it worth it to you?

Whether it's worth it or not is entirely dependent on the character I am making, for some it would be, for others not at all.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Jun 17 2009, 12:34 AM) *
Keep in mind that sustaining a spell is only a penalty for magical tasks... you can still fight well, say. Or that's the way I read it, and it'd make any personal buff spell rather worthless if it wasn't the case.

Not quite correct... See page 174 (SR4 BBB) under the Haading Step 7: Ongoing Effects...

Last sentence of the First Paragraph... "For each sustained spell the magician maintains, she suffers a -2 dice penalty on all other tests"... Emphasis Mine... This includes ALL tests... regardless of type...
EnlitenedDespot
Yes, all tests, and that's what's breaking my balls. A -2 to everything I guess is worth it if you're getting 2-3 more Initiative Passes, but man, penalties like that just bother the crap out of me until I can resolve them. And a limit of a Force 3 Sustaining Focus at chargen is only marginally useful (and if I were going to spend 29BP for a rank 4 Power Focus, would I really want to invest the nuyen and extra Restrictied Item Quality BP into a high-rank Sustaining Focus)?

Also, I can easily imagine wanting to have sustained several spells, such as Heal (until it becomes permanent), Increased Reflexes (is that the extra IP spell? I keep forgetting), and possibly Increased Attribute. The idea of slugging around all these foci just feels very karma and cash intensive (not happening at chargen either, since I really don't want to invest that much of a character into multiple sustaining foci...).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 17 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Yes, all tests, and that's what's breaking my balls. A -2 to everything I guess is worth it if you're getting 2-3 more Initiative Passes, but man, penalties like that just bother the crap out of me until I can resolve them. And a limit of a Force 3 Sustaining Focus at chargen is only marginally useful (and if I were going to spend 29BP for a rank 4 Power Focus, would I really want to invest the nuyen and extra Restrictied Item Quality BP into a high-rank Sustaining Focus)?

Also, I can easily imagine wanting to have sustained several spells, such as Heal (until it becomes permanent), Increased Reflexes (is that the extra IP spell? I keep forgetting), and possibly Increased Attribute. The idea of slugging around all these foci just feels very karma and cash intensive (not happening at chargen either, since I really don't want to invest that much of a character into multiple sustaining foci...).

IT IS Karma and Cash Intensive... that is the balance of a Mage vs others... they pay a price for their capabilities... which many people here on Dumpshock consider an "I Win" button (Of which I am not one)...
EnlitenedDespot
So even if I don't want to use a Weapon Focus, having Astral Combat as a skill will help defend me against attacks in the Astral (in other words I'd probably still need it)?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (EnlitenedDespot @ Jun 17 2009, 03:02 PM) *
So even if I don't want to use a Weapon Focus, having Astral Combat as a skill will help defend me against attacks in the Astral (in other words I'd probably still need it)?

Only if you go astral... if you are never in astral space, you will never need the skill...
EnlitenedDespot
Part of being a Magician though is utilizing astral projection to your advantage, no?

This all causes me to lean towards just wanting to make a buck-ass naked mage with little-to-no items. Bah.

The way my GM functions, he tends to have few qualms about causing you to have your gear taken away and you end up with nothing you formerly had anyway, although he is a little more partial to things you've spent hard-earned experience on. In other words, if you bought it, eh, easy-come easy-go, but if you 'invested' experience into the item, as long as you are not an idiot you probably won't lose it.

I was just trying to look at what is overall more effective:

Heavy pistol vs. combat spell (any reasonable Heavy Pistol is fine to consider with good ammo and good upgrades, ie EX Explosive Ammo and a Smartgun System)

Weapon Focus vs. combat spell in the astral (I'm fine with my weapon focus not being something I'm that good with in the mundane...)

I realize that in the end my combat spells could get past any MAD scanner or will always be with me even in the astral, but at the same time counters to magic (drones, high technology, I've heard other things about fomori or cyberzombies or whatnot) could leave me feeling rather exposed without a backup (leaning towards a heavy pistol being that answer)?

Regardless, my character will be very focused on what's practical/most effective (ie, I'm not considering shotguns/rifles/SMGs of any kind due to drawing attention and how hard they are to get into certain situations), so if in the end a combat spell obviates (gets rid of) the need for a weapon focus or pistol in the vast majority of situations, I could save a lot of BP on skills not getting those (and BP for money for the Weapon Focus, I guess).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012