Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autosofts and multiple drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lowendz113
I know the book talks about a pilot not being able to pilot different drones, but I have not seen it discuss this matter with autosofts. Can one autosoft be duplicated then programmed into multiple drones? For example, could a get the clearsight autosoft, duplicate it, then load it into a fly spy and a doberman?

What about autosofts that requite physical actions, such as covertops? Or Adaptability?
DireRadiant
Yes, subject to all usual copying constraints.
lowendz113
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 17 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Yes, subject to all usual copying constraints.

Sweet. Thank you.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 08:14 PM) *
Sweet. Thank you.

DireRadient has hidden a lot in his answer. You can only copy Pirated Programs - and they degrade a Rating point every month. You can pay 10% of the difference between the degraded Rating and it's original Rating to patch it back up to full Rating. Or you can make some longwinded Software Test to write the patch yourself - but, really, nobody uses Software for that because it takes so very long to do.
lowendz113
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jun 17 2009, 03:18 PM) *
DireRadient has hidden a lot in his answer. You can only copy Pirated Programs - and they degrade a Rating point every month. You can pay 10% of the difference between the degraded Rating and it's original Rating to patch it back up to full Rating. Or you can make some longwinded Software Test to write the patch yourself - but, really, nobody uses Software for that because it takes so very long to do.

You gotta love it when people do that. So could I install the same autosoft in multipule drones without duping it? I think I remember reading that you just can't use them at the same time or something like that. Am I remembering correctly?
lowendz113
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jun 17 2009, 03:18 PM) *
Or you can make some longwinded Software Test to write the patch yourself - but, really, nobody uses Software for that because it takes so very long to do.

Does anyone actually write their own software? It seems like it would take waaaaaaay to long to actually be useful. Unless you can get a program/sprite to write software for you. That would be sweet. Is that possible?
BlackJaw
QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 01:14 PM) *
So could I install the same autosoft in multipule drones without duping it? I think I remember reading that you just can't use them at the same time or something like that. Am I remembering correctly?

Nope.

I think your thinking of "mooks"... You can't have the same (cracked) Agent running in the same node at the same time.

Copy protection (found in all legal software) on the other hand prevents you from making more then one copy of the program, even if you only have 1 running. When you load the Autosoft into Drone 1, it loads off your Commlink, so it isn't there to put into Drone 2.

Those cracked versions can be run in as many drones as you want, just keep them patched (with cracked patches) so they don't degrade on you. Remember that you only pay 10% of the price difference between your version and the degraded version, which means if you are patching every 2 months, you only pay 10% the difference between your version and the version one less. It's not very much.

If you don't want to mess with patching, consider getting Open Source software (which isn't free in 2070) which I don't think degrades anymore (wasn't it in the Errata for unwired?) or you have to program the software yourself from scratch (which I know is in the errata.)
lowendz113
Ah, thats not bad. I just checked the errata, and they do not degrade.

Any opinion on an agent/sprite writing a program?
DireRadiant
Do they have the skillz?

Agents don't have Software for example.
BlackJaw
QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Any opinion on an agent/sprite writing a program?

In theory you could get a Programer/Software Autosoft loaded onto an Agent or Drone, but I don't like the idea of that. It's not spelled out anywhere I've seen, but I wouldn't let software write new code without it being sentient first. That means no Drone programmers and no agent programmers. I would allow an agent to replicate the same bit of coding over and over again, but you would have to do the coding first. (Kind of like building a worm that would travel through various duplicate/nearly identicle programs adding in the Limitation program extra, or something like that). In most cases that won't apply, and this is one of those cases.

I'm honestly (and intentionaly) not all that knowledgeable on Technomancers & Sprites, but I think sprites are intelligent and sentient in a way not all that separate then spirits, so I could see a Sprite writing code. What kind of service that would be and how good at coding they are are questions I don't have answers for.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Does anyone actually write their own software? It seems like it would take waaaaaaay to long to actually be useful. Unless you can get a program/sprite to write software for you. That would be sweet. Is that possible?

I am playing a character that indeed writes his own software... and it is intensive... with judicious use of programming suites or Nexus Programming Environments, it is not too bad though... Common programs are a 1 Month Interval and Rating Target while Hacking Programs are Rating x 2 Difficulty with the same 1 Month Interval...... not too very difficult at all...

The really tough ones are the System, Tactical, Malware and Firewall programs, which can take a while... Though still very doable if you really want to have something unique...
lowendz113
QUOTE (SR4 @ Jun 17 2009, 06:04 PM) *
Agents do not possess a Software skill and are not able self-patch/program.

Well that answers that lol.
Cadmus
there is a drone autosoft that gives them a tech skill though if i remeber correctly, I think I do.

Hey bob that flyspy of yours has been siting on your desk for a week...don't you use it? ya, Its doing my taxes right now. smile.gif

Kingboy
Someone with access to books may have to refresh my memory (not being close to mine at the moment), but what about running the Autosofts as server-side programs? Load them up on one node to which all the drones are subscribed, have them run the programs from there. Might need a nexus to do it, but that's what you bought a big van for right?
Warlordtheft
I just hand waived it and said you only need to buy the program once. By raw it is vague, and I am sure any programs a runner uses isn't registered. So why wouldn't you be able to. How does the copy know it is not the original and is a copy? I know in wireless they spent a few pages on this, but for game play it is much easier.

Ok-I have a firewall 3 on my flyspy, 4 on my steel lynx and a 2 on my busta-move. It is easier to just say have a firewall 4 on all my drones.
Heath Robinson
I'm just going to post some prospective houserules. You can ignore them if you want - at the very least it's an alternative way of going about things.

EDIT: Let's be polite and not take up screen real estate with something you're likely to ignore.
[ Spoiler ]
Cabral
QUOTE (lowendz113 @ Jun 17 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Does anyone actually write their own software? It seems like it would take waaaaaaay to long to actually be useful.

Yes. My wife's hacker whipped up a Firewall program during downtime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012