Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird astral attributes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dakka Dakka
According to the section on astral combat, projecting characters use their astral attributes in place of their physical ones. Here Logic corresponds to Agility. In the paragraph about weapon foci however it says that a projecting mages uses Astral Combat+Willpower to attack with the focus.

Which is correct or is there an intentional inconsistency?
TheOOB
If you are dual natured you use physical attributes to fight foes with a physical form, or willpower + astral combat to fight wholly astral entities. If you are a wholly astral entity(like a projecting mage) you use your astral attributes, so logic + astral combat.

Hope that helps.
Dakka Dakka
That's exactly what I thought, but:

QUOTE ('SR4A p. 199')
An astrally projecting character takes her weapon focus with her to the astral plane. Making an attack with a weapon focus in astral space relies on the character’s Astral Combat + Willpower dice pool (see Astral Combat, p. 193), but this dice pool is increased by the Force of the weapon focus.

SR4 has the same lines except for the page reference on p. 192.

That's why I wonder.
TheOOB
I'd say use logic, willpower doesn't need any more importance to a magician, even if that clearly goes against the written rules.
Dakka Dakka
How do I propose that for an erratum?
pbangarth
People have poked at this inconsistency before. The writers adamantly hang on to the use of Willpower in this context.
Dakka Dakka
Have they given a reason?
pbangarth
One would have to search back through the archives to find it, but I believe so.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 21 2009, 12:10 PM) *
Have they given a reason?

Because they hate logic traditions?

Honestly I'm not sure what logic does in the astral. Its for agility, but what agility skills are you using in astral space. I guess maybe infiltration occasionally. Giving each fo the drain stats a point in astral combat would seem to be a better choice.

Logic to hit, Charisma for base damage, and intuition for going first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012